Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi changing the side case cover on my 748 and took the bolts out and I know there is gasket sealer but is there a special tool to remove this or is there a way to split this thanks.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Hi changing the side case cover on my 748 and took the bolts out and I know there is gasket sealer but is there a special tool to remove this or is there a way to split this thanks.
Are you removing the right or left side case cover?
Never mind. I just re-read the thread title.
I looked through my Haynes manual and there was no mention of a special tool.
Try giving it some gentle taps all around with a rubber mallet or similar.
Some models have gaskets and some use sealers.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I used my rubber mallet but nothing
I'm sure there is a simple trick to it, but I don't know it.

There are a couple of locating pins in there which could be causing the difficulty.
Just be sure to try and tap the cover out evenly.

Maybe have a go at the sealing area with a heat gun, and then re-try the rubber mallet?

If you get it, be ready for some residual oil that will come out.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I second the request for info as I plan to remove mine very soon in order to have the case vented. Any input about removal would be appreciated, please and thanks.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Use a round wood dowel/peg through the oil filler hole
put a little pressure/lever outward and tap the clutch case at the
top engine bolt mount area and down by the rear brake area,
should pop off then.
A wood spoon from the kitchen draw is quite handy but dont tell you know who
you used it. :)

brian.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any other methods on getting this off before I start hacking at it with a kitchen spoon. Thanks Brian I will attempt it this weekend.

·
Registered
2001 ST4, 2002 M750S, 2008 848
264 Posts
I'd go in search of any remaining bolts that might be "hiding" before I go pounding and prying away.... it's amazing how crafty those little guys can be!

·
Read Only
144 Posts
If memory serves me right you should have removed 10 bolts. Then just use a rubber mallet to tap around it. Mine was tough to remove. Just be patient it will come off.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Like others said, get a dead blow hammer and wail on the clutch housing portion.(hitting in the direction away from the engine) I think the third hole down on the left (front top of clutch housing) has a dowel. Once it cracks lose, you can just use a plastic wedge to slowly pry it off.

Don't use a flat head screwdriver or anything metal as you might damage the sealing surface on the block or case.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
You gotta hit it pretty damn hard to brake the old sealant. As long as you're using a rubber dead blow hammer you're not going to crack the case.

It does help if the motor is out of the bike as you have a lot more room to swing. Of course that's just more work I know. Mine was on my bench when I pulled the cover off.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Came home from work today and gave it a few more hits with the dead hammer and nothing so I tried something else and with to little taps it came off.
There are two screws that just go into the case so by placing one of the long bolts in and useing the fork of the crowbar and taping it from inside it popped off very easy.
Here's the video it's already off but I just shot just to give you the Idea.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will try that tonight... My ST2 engine stopped turning over, suddenly... I am pretty sure it is not seized, but the gear that turns the clutch is firmly anchored... I was able to get the clutch off, that nut is pretty tough, but I used the stuck clutch plate holder as a brace for the clutch removal tool... A very handy thing, that tool. $30 on ebay...
Any ideas about completely stuck clutch drive gear? I suspect the oil pump had a hand in it...

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Plastic wedge, thin drift, or putty knife and a hammer. All plastic except the hammer.

Or standard flat head screw driver coming from the top where the rear brake reservoir is. It may slightly damage the surface but Oil is no blowing around up there and your choice of gasket sealant will seal any blemish you make.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts