Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, my battery died up in the mountains yesterday. Fortunately, it was easy to point downhill and jump start. But it ran poorly the 60+ miles back home and would die at idle, making for an interesting trip.

Speedo worked fine, of course, but the tach was all over the place, fuel light blinking constantly and LCD showing full tank and 288 for temp (borked). I doubt any of the lights were working.

Temps were warm and speed was slower (20-45mph) working back down the mountain with traffic. Felt like it was getting hot, but I was afraid to stop.

Wondering what the potential for damage/issues are running this way for 1-2 hours. Would the cooling fan work in this situation? It's a little unnerving not knowing fuel levels or engine temps...

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would think you should be okay. Obviously, replace the battery. Check, and possibly change your oil. Really check the oil out to see if it was getting burnt at all.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Interesting. Since everything else was acting wacky, I'd say there was a good chance that the ECU might not be able to turn the fan on when needed. Although, that temp sensor is independent of the readout sensor.

If it were truly over 248F, you would have been boiling over thru the expansion tank, and I think you would have noticed the steam at those lower speeds.

A couple of saving graces:
1) you do have a water cooled engine!
2) do you use synthetic oil? Synthetic tends not to carbonize at high temps.

Be sure to verify the running/charging voltage on the new battery after install to make sure your RR is working OK.

One weak point on the 3 phase stators is the non-weatherproof connector up near the coolant reservoir.
1999 should have this 3 yellow wires into this connector. They tend to be marginal and overheat.

I bypassed mine finally on my ST4s after tightening it up once. But I still saw browning of the connector, felt a bit of heat when running, so now it's spliced. No more heat!

Note that even my weatherproof connector on my 1998 ST2 went crispy. I bypassed that one, too...

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I do run Castrol full synth, but will change it just to be safe. About due anyways.

Didn't notice any obvious signs of overheating, but it did feel hotter than usual. Could've just been paranoia.

One weak point on the 3 phase stators is the non-weatherproof connector up near the coolant reservoir.
1999 should have this 3 yellow wires into this connector. They tend to be marginal and overheat.

I bypassed mine finally on my ST4s after tightening it up once. But I still saw browning of the connector, felt a bit of heat when running, so now it's spliced. No more heat!

Note that even my weatherproof connector on my 1998 ST2 went crispy. I bypassed that one, too...
That's a good point. Now that you mention it, mine actually worked itself loose once. Now I'm wondering if that happened again after I put the fairings back on.

Got a new Yuasa AGM on the way -should be here by Thursday so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again gents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts