Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I m lucky to now live in a state where you can ride w/o a helmet. I m however puzzled which goggles to get. Regular sunglasses don't seem to work. What goggles do you use when riding w/o your helmet?
Streetfighter/sportnike spesific please.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
You're joking right? Just because you can ride without a helmet doesn't mean you should. I also live in a state where there is no helmet law. Asking your question about wearing goggles and no helmet around here isn't going to get many positive responses. And half helmets don't even count as helmets. Personally if I see someone with no helmet and goggles on I think. Well I wont say. Ok I will. Idiot.:(

·
Registered
100 Posts
I m lucky to now live in a state where you can ride w/o a helmet. I m however puzzled which goggles to get. Regular sunglasses don't seem to work. What goggles do you use when riding w/o your helmet?
Streetfighter/sportnike spesific please.

Thanks.

Haha good luck with that one...I recommend a welding mask ;)

·
Registered
322 Posts
The best was when I was in China for work, I would see these people riding in their "scotter" even the 250 cc bikes that would wear these hard hats that were made of thin plastic not even to our standards. I would get a kick out of it considering they were not even strapped on.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Even though we have no helmet law for 18 & over in Hawaii, except on military bases, I always wear my helmet...the only ones you consistantly see without helmets are the moped & Harley guys...

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dudes, I am asking a question. If you don't know the answer don't say anything. Seriously.
I've always ridden with my helmet on but if I had to make a short trip (like going to see my friend 5 blocks away or drop off a red box movie) it would be nice not to have this thing on my head as it causes more discomfort than help. Seriously, if one has experience, chances of crashing into your own mail box are next to nothing. Agree?
And of course any kind of serious/fun riding I do with helmet on and in full gear.
So this thread is about goggles that make sense for a bike like a streetfighter (read riding position). Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had a retard moment at work and did a quick run to the end of the sidestreet and back with no helmet. Literally about 200 yards. I NEVER ride without gear except for this day. This was the result. 16 years of street and track so I'm no noob. Wear your helmet EVERY time, dude

Big pool on the left where I stopped

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hey if the man wants to ride without a helmet I say have at and let darwin work things out.

I vote monocle, I wouldn't want to be confused with a squid wearing glasses and flip flops, go with a monocle it will make you look more grown up.

Sent from my EVO using Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
I'd get some open cockpit aviation goggles, some vintage ones would rock it.

That said, I feel my vision on the SFS is not ideal be because forward lean limits my head swivel, so I probably wouldn't ride it without a helmet. Also, regarding not hitting your own mail box, 1 in 4 of all accidents happen withing a mile of home. Just over 50% of all accidents happen within 5 miles of home.

Not bashing, just saying.

Edit: I just realized, some aviators have glass lenses. To avoid glass chips and rock chips going into your eyes, I'd make sure they were impact resistant.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Dudes, I am asking a question. If you don't know the answer don't say anything. Seriously.
I've always ridden with my helmet on but if I had to make a short trip (like going to see my friend 5 blocks away or drop off a red box movie) it would be nice not to have this thing on my head as it causes more discomfort than help. Seriously, if one has experience, chances of crashing into your own mail box are next to nothing. Agree?
And of course any kind of serious/fun riding I do with helmet on and in full gear.
So this thread is about goggles that make sense for a bike like a streetfighter (read riding position). Thanks.

First, be very careful. Riding without a helmet increases your risk. That said, check out Bobster. They have lots of goggles/shades. They are convertible. You can even wear them with the helmet. I just got a set. Not too expensive. They have the gasket to prevent your eyes from drying up. I think the ones I got are the road hog, or something like that. Oakley makes a few too. They are a bit more expensive.

·
Registered
798 Posts
On the plus side, the helmetless people do help with the organ donation shortage situation.... NOT attacking OP, just saying...

-Mike, ER RN...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Two things that are sure to divide people on this forum and lead to insults.

Gun laws and helmet laws.

Georgre
I used to love riding without a helmet. Find a good tight fitting pair of glasses. Lots of coverage, because bugs and stones hurt like hell. Also rain. Riding in the rain with no face protection is a fucker. Oakley M frames are very durable. Have some sort of strap for the back, otherwise they're sure to blow off first chance they get.

As for people calling you a squid, idiot, organ donor?
You asked a question. Not their opinion.
I've got 20+ years in the emergency services. Nobody dies before their time.

·
comrade moderator
26,799 Posts
I've got 20+ years in the emergency services. Nobody dies before their time.
Awesome. I love that!

There are lots of ways to die falling off a motorcycle. Come to think of it, there are lots of ways to die NOT falling off a motorcycle. Wearing a helmet or not wearing a helmet dosen't promise a thing.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts