Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know ideally you would want to drive to the track, but if you can't. I am planning on doing Jason Pridmore's school at Streets of Willow Aug. 17. It is a little over an hour away. My question is for those who ride to the track, what do you guys take with you? Assumming you are not meeting anyone there. I know I will need some tools to go from street to track and tape for the glass, but what else?

·
comrade moderator
26,749 Posts
For doing a Pridmore school, probably not much more than tape and a tire gauge. The full tank of gas may suck in the first half of the day but you won't be riding balls out early anyway.

Find somebody at the track to buddy up with who'll share their space and shade with you.

Bring a backpack with a couple sub sandwiches, some bananas or other high potassium fruits, wrap them up in a cooler bag and make sure you can get water at the track. Lots of water. NOT Gatorade or any of that crap - water.

Sounds like fun! :D

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
August and wearing leathers all day to the track and back. Sounds toasty.

...and don't crash. Getting home would truly suck if even possible on a crashed bike.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I know ideally you would want to drive to the track, but if you can't. I am planning on doing Jason Pridmore's school at Streets of Willow Aug. 17. It is a little over an hour away. My question is for those who ride to the track, what do you guys take with you? Assumming you are not meeting anyone there. I know I will need some tools to go from street to track and tape for the glass, but what else?
I don't recommend riding to the track, especially not in August.
Even if you do survive the school, the ride home is going to be torture on you.

Are you a member of any of the local So Cal forums? There are LOTS of guys that will give you a ride.
Check out some of the local forums if not. Many friendly faces and you'd be surprised.

socalmoto.org is one of them

·
Registered
698 Posts
I rode my bike to my first ever track day. I took a back pack with tape, pliers and a few snacks. Big Willow has an open Snack bar (streets does not) but you can ride your bike to the snack bar (if it's open).

I would check and see if the school includes refreshments as part of the gig, that might help alleviate the load. Also, not sure about just drinking water, gatorade and other sport drinks will give you much needed electrolytes, specially in the conditions of wearing a leather suit during summer in the high mojave desert. While sportdrinks contain a boat load of sugar, staying hydrated an alert duing your first track outing in my opinion outweights any negative side effects.

GL!

·
Registered
635 Posts
crashed and or just plain tired makes it hard to get home but that aside..... make friends with someone that can atleast carry extra gas to the track for you. You will be soooo bummed out if you are feeling and doing well and run outta gas and can`t enjoy the rest of the day!!!

But +1 on the safety thing of not riding the bike home still.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The problem with Streets of Willow is that you're out in the open 100% of the time since there are no garages for you to get out of the sun. And since you're riding your bike there, you won't be able to bring a canopy. Also, since you do have to ride back home, maybe decide on not running the last session of the day and take that last session to just rest up for the ride home.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
+1

I would never ride to the track. I've seen too many "accidents, by accident" that just happen. If your not prepared to go home in an ambulance and have someone else take care of your stuff whilst your missing, then you really shouldn't go to the track at all. Some ya-hoo could run smack into you in corner 3, happens all the time and down ya go... next thing you know, down ya go and now you can't get home.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
I would put the word out to buddy up with anyone else who is going who has a two bike trailer. Generally, people are pretty good about transporting those who don't have the means, I did it everytime I went to the track. I made the offer since I had an enclosed trailer with double Condor chocks, to me it would be a waste to just transport myself. Besides a little help with the gas is nice.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys, thanks for all the input. I guess I won't take the chance.

I Think it may be easier to find someone just going out to do a trackday than taking Pridmore's school. I'll keep an eye out for that.

Again, Thanks.

·
comrade moderator
26,749 Posts
OK, hold up. He's not doing a track day, ie; go ride as hard as you can for 8 hours, he's doing the Pridmore School, which is a whole different thing. A whole different pace and level of exertion. Not to mention, a whole different education.

If you're only alternative is to go to some track day where you can ride as fast as you can and learn nothing, the ride to the Pridmore School and learn something. You won't automatically crash and burn on the way home.

·
Registered
698 Posts
OK, hold up. He's not doing a track day, ie; go ride as hard as you can for 8 hours, he's doing the Pridmore School, which is a whole different thing. A whole different pace and level of exertion. Not to mention, a whole different education.

If you're only alternative is to go to some track day where you can ride as fast as you can and learn nothing, the ride to the Pridmore School and learn something. You won't automatically crash and burn on the way home.
I couldn't agree more. Going to the track does not mean you will crash - heck I don't know many people who trailer their bike to a remote canyon roads in case they crash? Same with taking your bike to a track school.

Like I said, I rode my bike to my first ever track day. I took a few supplies and snacks and took it easy the whole day learning the track and taking in the whole experiance.

I befriended some dude who let me put my stuff in his truck while I was out on the track and I also shared his canopy space. He was a very cool guy who gave me many tips and on the track layout, etc.

I'm SURE you can do the same and meet some friendly faces while out there. If you don't feel comfortable doing that there are alternatives, like renting a truck or a small u-haul trailer for the day.

GL either way!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. I was planning on taking it easy as it will be my first experience on the track. I want to go out and learn how to ride on the track, and for me I think a school would work better than a trackday. I was also planning on not doing the last session if I was tired. I think befriending someone is a good solution and I maybe renting something, not really sure. I have some time so I can still think about it.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
If your doing your "first" school or trackday, you can ride to and from the track withh no problems..

It´s once you start to push the envelope that having a alternate transportation becomes an issue. I´ve been doing trackdays for 6-7 years now and I only started trailering about 2 years ago. But that has more to do with the fact that i now use alot more stuff like tirewarmers, tents and other stuff then me needing the safety of aletrante transport.

Some tracks even have shadeproviding roofs built up already!

Besides.. Say you lowside it and get stuck with the bike not being able to ride. A towtruck or even renting a van isn´t THAT expensive should the worst happen.

//Anders

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I'm confused...not sure what track days are like where y'all are from, but the track days around here are absolutely NOT just riding as fast as possible without learning anything.

Perhaps I'm doing it all wrong then...:think:

Every single one of the track day orgs around here have numerous instructors out on track with each and every group on track. They follow riders and tap tails to have riders follow them. You can choose to learn if you want or you can choose to ignore. If they tap to follow and go into pit, you had better follow into pit though, because chances are they have something pretty darn important to say.

If track days where y'all ride aren't like that, then that's gotta suck. No wonder so many fast riders come from this great state...*wink*wink*:eek:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Buddy up with someone with a truck or trailor. If you will be at SOW on the 9th, put word out on the local SoCal boards, perhaps another member will be there, or at least on the big track. I beleive that Trackdaz or Take to the track with be a WSIR that same day. Maybe your buddy will be doing the big track while you are on SOW.
For SOW you will need shade, there is none it is nothing but a parking lot, and in August it usually is hot. Bring water, when you think you have enough bring more and well as snacks. Have fun SOW is a blast

Keith

1 - 16 of 16 Posts