Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like most of you, I find riding to be a cathartic experience. I never ride to blow of steam, but I find that it's an overall centering experience. I also hear a lot of people say that they ride as a way to relax, but some recent experiences made me question which is the cart and which is the horse.

On many days, I've noticed that my morning rides to work are often more enjoyable than my rides home. They feel easy and effortless. On the way home I will find myself having to be more conscious of not target fixating, unnecessarily questioning a corner entry speed, and feeling overall more tense. For a while I chalked this up to experiencing more traffic on the commute home, but a recent ride made me rethink this.

A couple weeks ago, I drove my motorcycle to a float tank appointment, and afterwards decided to take a 45 minute ride home - the extra long way. Everything felt perfect - it was a blissful ride where I felt as if I was one with the bike. It's made me wonder about riding to relax vs relaxing to ride, and how much the latter could make riding that much more enjoyable.

Curious to hear anyone else's thoughts about if they've noticed the same thing, or something completely different.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Its both for me. I relax when I ride and riding to relax and blow off steam. Wrenching also helps me relax and clear my head. Something I do before every ride, no matter the time or day............. and my riding buddies hate it but, fook em it works for me.

I will suit up slowly, calming my nerves and focusing. Allowing bike to warm up at idle. When helmet goes on, I will stretch out with a deep squat or three, breath deep and release a few times. Deep breathing has been shown to release endorphins. Its at this point I will saddle up. This has allowed me to calm myself, focus on riding and hardly ever second guess braking points, turn in etc.

I wont say it always make me zen, I have had my dick radar go off about cagers. Its usually at this point I get around them or take another path away from said dick.

I suggest that you were in your zone when it went good and not when it went bad. Some times we are hyped about the ride and focused. Other times, things are stuck in our medula oblongata that overcome focus or "the hype".

...............don't let them .25 cent words fool ya, I'm still an asshat.

Reactions: portiadog

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Depends on the ride. On a 2-3k miles ride I ride to relax and chill out. Forget about everything but the moment.

Knocking 2 seconds off my previous best lap time at the track is for the rush and feeling of accomplishment. I guess that could be considered relaxing also. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I don't know about relaxing. Riding is very physical, but mental at the same time. It's a lot of work, and I relax after the ride. Sometimes the ride can be a bit of a struggle, other times I am in the zone and the Monster is a great dance partner in the canyons and on the mountain roads. That right there is why I ride. Well, a good part of the reasons anyway. >:)

·
19,081 Posts
For me it's just like music: Sometimes I'm in the zone and sometimes I'm struggling.

Ah, the zone. Sounds existential but boy is it a real thing. The older you get the more powerful the force becomes. :)

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Ah, the zone. Sounds existential but boy is it a real thing. The older you get the more powerful the force becomes. :)

Figure thats because you appreciate it more or have a better understanding?

Reactions: DuckMan

·
Premium Member
4,377 Posts
Since I use my brain to make a living I find physical work to be relaxing, and the physical activity of riding is REALLY relaxing to me. At the same time... it IS a mental exercise but one that is formulaic... planning the corner, executing the corner, planning the next corner. That sort of cyclic mental activity lets me shut down some of the other stress induced cycles (my wife calls them "snakes in the head")... and that is maybe even MORE relaxing.

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,733 Posts
I don't find riding relaxing because your senses have to be totally engaged to deal with the sports inherent risks. It doesn't mean I'm riding in fear ,just trying to be calmly engaged and as smooth as possible while dealing with the variables road riding can throw at you. Like Wiley, clear the head before you go out and relax after an awesome ride.
On the rare occasion I'm not feeling it , I'll turn it around and save it for another day.

·
19,081 Posts
On the rare occasion I'm not feeling it , I'll turn it around and save it for another day.

This. I hate to say how many decades and ER visits to took me to learn this lesson. I’m still learning.

·
Super Moderator
5,568 Posts
When I think of relaxing I think of lying on a beach or watching tv or taking a nap. I wouldn't say riding is relaxing...for me there is constant concentration that's occurring. I find that one piece of the riding enjoyment is the long period of focused attention...my mind is cleared of the day-to-day crap. I'm not thinking about work, or the household chores, or if the neighbor's dog is crapping on my lawn. Maybe that prolonged fixation on "one task" could be considered relaxing...kind of like an active form of meditation.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Both. :)

Right on, professor.........:nerd:

Since I use my brain to make a living I find physical work to be relaxing, and the physical activity of riding is REALLY relaxing to me. At the same time... it IS a mental exercise but one that is formulaic... planning the corner, executing the corner, planning the next corner. That sort of cyclic mental activity lets me shut down some of the other stress induced cycles (my wife calls them "snakes in the head")... and that is maybe even MORE relaxing.
Snakes, demons and dragons........... I suffer from PTSD..........I described riding once as outrunning my demons...........We gettin deep now boys.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
It is both relaxing and stress relief its just me the bike and the ride. You have to be focused on
everything around you and ready for anything that can go wrong. I don't have time to think about
anything else like all of the work related @4*^.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
When I think of relaxing I think of lying on a beach or watching tv or taking a nap. I wouldn't say riding is relaxing...for me there is constant concentration that's occurring. I find that one piece of the riding enjoyment is the long period of focused attention...my mind is cleared of the day-to-day crap. I'm not thinking about work, or the household chores, or if the neighbor's dog is crapping on my lawn. Maybe that prolonged fixation on "one task" could be considered relaxing...kind of like an active form of meditation.
^ That! That's what works for me - being able to focus in on something, and take my mind away from all the other shit going on in my life. Especially valuable a few months back, when my son was on his last days. I didn't get out much, but the few times I did, were life savers.

Plus, my wife sends me out when she thinks I need it... :cool: ...I think she notices the difference afterwards too.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
^ That! That's what works for me - being able to focus in on something, and take my mind away from all the other shit going on in my life. Especially valuable a few months back, when my son was on his last days. I didn't get out much, but the few times I did, were life savers.

Plus, my wife sends me out when she thinks I need it... :cool: ...I think she notices the difference afterwards too.

So sorry pal........(mate as youd say) We are not supposed to outlive our children. Be strong.

Reactions: DuckMan

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,738 Posts
When I ride I do it as fast as the law allows (mostly, but I have bits of paper that give lie to this) and push my luck in the twisty bits to the extent that there's no room in my tiny brain for any other thoughts except adrenalin fueled concentration.
I only ride 40 minutes at a time and in as concentrated a way as possible and afterwards I'm jangling for a few hours and then frequently dog tired and that's how I unwind and blow the demons from my mind.
Riding is my alternate reality.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts