Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason i joined the forum is because im riding to Mexico from Florida in about 2 weeks,and then to S.A in about 2 months. I have some questions that i would really appreciate some help with.

- What tires to use Dunlop D616 or Pirelli scorpions?
- How to raise the tail of the bike (s model) mostly to compensate for weight?
- What issues do you guys think i might have? the bike has 6,500 miles.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
The reason i joined the forum is because im riding to Mexico from Florida in about 2 weeks,and then to S.A in about 2 months. I have some questions that i would really appreciate some help with.

- What tires to use Dunlop D616 or Pirelli scorpions?
- How to raise the tail of the bike (s model) mostly to compensate for weight?
- What issues do you guys think i might have? the bike has 6,500 miles.

Thanks for the help!
i have had scorpions on my hypertard and loved em ...

for rear weight issue, suggest you look into higher spring rate to compensate for the weight.

your hypertard will give off the service wrench on the dash @ about 7500 miles ... not sure what ducati dealerships you will cross on your journey ... so be prepared for oil and filter changes every 3000 miles max, clean/replace the air filter at same intervals, and perhaps changing the fuel filter a few times on your journey, depending on fuel quality you run into.

take lots of photos on this epci ride ... and post them up here on your way (if your taking a 'puter).

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
double the size of your gastank, get vaccines, take lots of pics, update your blog daily, and then shag, shag, shag!!!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
cycleworks tank for sure.
I have heard second hand that as long as you stay off the rev limiter the valves stay pretty much in spec. So you might be okay in terms of the 7500 mile service. unless you take care of it before hand, then of course the point is moot.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Your gonna need an AR15, 15 mags loaded, and 2500 rounds of ammo too to keep the drug cartels at bay.........................better get a big rear spring.

Out!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Do you think i should change the air filters or just clean them?
if your smart, you will get either a k&n or a bmc air filter ... you can clean and re-oil these puppies.

depending on how dusty it gets on your journey, you "might" get by with simply knocking the dust off the stock paper air filter ... but i would opt for the re-usable style (bmc or k&n)

·
Registered
65 Posts
let me tell you about mexico

for several years a friend of mine (paul tracy, champ car racer) put me on his team with a hard card & all access, so i could attend any race i wanted. anyways in 05 at the mexico city gp one of the champ car officials got abducted by the local police that they hired as personal security while they were there. he was put in a trunk of a car & driven a few hours out of town, they beat him down & robbed him of the 80 u.s. dollars he had on him. luckily he wasn't killed but he did have a 1 1/5 walk til he was back.

"f" mexico, i hate that place, good luck on your trip my man, if anyone asks claim canadian, they hate us!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
about me.

My jobs requires me to travel all over North and South America. For the past two years i learned how to deal with all kinds of situations in foreign countries.
It's going to be a great experience my only problems is that im not the best mechanic, from 1 to 10 i am a 4.5 but i have been riding for 15 years. Thanks for all the advice, i will try to keep updating my thread.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Undercover

When out of the country, I wear a blue sweatshirt with CANADA emblazoned on the front and I wear my ROOTS chapeau.

No one hates Canada but plenty have issues with the US of A.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I am curious what other stuff you're doing to the HM for this sort of trip. Large capacity fuel tank, larger windscreen, luggage, gps mount, etc? That's a long trip...can you post some pics of the bike all setup? Love to see it and best of luck to you.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Re-rear height, depending on the weight you may get away with more preload. In any case, spend $20 in a suspension tuning shop to set your suspension up for the weight you'll carry.

Also, go to AdvRider or Horizons Unlimited and get advice from people with actual experience of riding south of the border, rather than this load of ignorant prejudice.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
On AdvRider, they will start off by telling you to get an appropriate bike. Lot's to choose from, but the Hyper ain't one of them. Plus, nobody makes an AR hard mount to fit the Hyper.

Out!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Great advise.

Re-rear height, depending on the weight you may get away with more preload. In any case, spend $20 in a suspension tuning shop to set your suspension up for the weight you'll carry.

Also, go to AdvRider or Horizons Unlimited and get advice from people with actual experience of riding south of the border, rather than this load of ignorant prejudice.
Thanks for the great advise, its nice to see someone with a possitive attitude.
I know this bike has not been used for this kind of trip but i dont see why it cant be done. I find it hard to find a good suspension tech, but i have two weeks to do so. Im still trying to decide what kind of tires to use.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Tires

Thanks for the great advise, its nice to see someone with a possitive attitude.
I know this bike has not been used for this kind of trip but i dont see why it cant be done. I find it hard to find a good suspension tech, but i have two weeks to do so. Im still trying to decide what kind of tires to use.
I was going to buy some D616s and found that every single place I called, local or internet they were back ordered at least a week or 2. You may have to go with the Scorpions. I finally went with a Conti-Force sport touring tire for this winter. I just mounted and balanced them a few nights ago myself so I can't say yet if they're worth a crap or not.

·
Registered
283 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the Hyper as a bike for this, unless you try to cross the Darien Gap (but then no other bike would make any difference). DS Ducs are not less (and I say more) reliable than a GS 1200.

Get obvious things, like the belly pan, tire repair kit. also search adv rider for "strada aventurosa" -- a lot of his parts fit the Hyper too.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts