Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be in Denver for the 1st two weeks of April and plan to rent a bike over the 1st weekend. Google Maps shows some awesome looking roads winding through the Kenosha Mtns and Pike National Forest.

Unfortunately I fear my timing is off by at least several weeks and that the mountain roads will be snow covered in early April. Plan B calls for some fun going east instead to check out towns like Last Chance, Flat Top, Deer Trail , Arickaree, Cope and Joes.

Will I be riding the flatlands or the Rockies? Any POIs I shouldn't miss?

·
Registered
52 Posts
What makes Colorado "interesting" is that you really can't predict the weather here. I tested a few of my favorite loops in the mountains west of Fort Collins last weekend (all below 9k ft.). There's some nasty gravel lakes, but the conditions were better than I expected.

I'm guessing the areas you listed would be sketchy in early April because you'll be close to 12k ft. Trail Ridge Road (12.1k ft at top) doesn't open until Memorial Day and it still has 25+ ft of snow on it that needs to be cleared. I save most of my high elevation rides for June and July.

But, like I said, this is Colorado so you never know. :)

I'm not sure that I can recommend eastern Colorado for a motorcycle ride. It's pretty damn boring from what I've experienced. If the destination is the reward, then go for it. But if you were expecting a great ride, you'll probably be disappointed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured the mtns would be snow covered but thought the roads might be plowed and rideable but I'll probably go with the eastern route. I mostly just want to ride and I've never ridden out west so it would be kinda boring but something new as well. I'd like to take in as much of the area as possible, take a bunch of pics and visit some places like Last Chance. Sounds like a place you'd meet Jesse James or Billy the Kid. :D

The only place I've found that's renting this early is Denver HD so I plan to go with a RoadKing which will make for an easy paced sight seeing ride.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hohoho blizzard conditions in Denver. Up to 15 inches of snow today and tomorrow. Long term forecast shows showers and low 50s for Sat 4/4. Looks like I'll be doing my sightseeing in the car. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hohoho blizzard conditions in Denver. Up to 15 inches of snow today and tomorrow. Long term forecast shows showers and low 50s for Sat 4/4. Looks like I'll be doing my sightseeing in the car. :rolleyes:
Yeah, we just got dumped on. Forecasts greater than 3 days in Colorado are almost totally worthless. It wouldn't surprise me if we had 70 degree weather in a few days. I wouldn't necessarily rule out your moto plans.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well if you were planning on riding this weekend it's not looking good. Next weekend though, who knows.
If you wanna have some better scenery but obviously not get too high up, I'd suggest just sticking to the front range area. I live up in boulder and there are lots of fun roads all along the foothills where you can see some pretty places without getting too high in elevation. There are some decent ways you could take between boulder and fort collins, or between denver and colorado springs.
FYI, I travel for work all over the state, and seeing places like Last Chance might be fun simply for the sake of doing it but there's really nothing out there...except of course the new track just about an hour east of denver on highway 34!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, two wheels is definately out for this weekend but I'll do some 4 wheeling tomorrow. Estes Park area was recommended so I'll head up there early am. Boy, I'd love to get back here during the riding season though. We don't have mtns like the Rockies back east. I could easily spend a week or more exploring...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts