Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, finally got around to doing some work and getting the '99 750SS rat bike I bought road worthy and legal. Runs really well, but the riding position is pretty tough on my 60 year old neck. I need to be a bit more upright. Are there cheap options for bar risers? Or can the clip on brackets be flipped over without lengthening everything? If I can't fix this I will sell it, as I don't particularly enjoy the ride as is...

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, finally got around to doing some work and getting the '99 750SS rat bike I bought road worthy and legal. Runs really well, but the riding position is pretty tough on my 60 year old neck. I need to be a bit more upright. Are there cheap options for bar risers? Or can the clip on brackets be flipped over without lengthening everything? If I can't fix this I will sell it, as I don't particularly enjoy the ride as is...

Thanks,
Steve
I tried swapping the brackets on 1000SS, doesnt work, wacky bar angle. Found a top triple tree on ebay that mounts a standard bar, but I dont know if that would clear the fairing.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I was having the same issues on my 06 Sport 1000 I went with some Woodcraft
3" rise clip on's made a huge difference not only the rise but the angle was better.
There are tons of clip on's with more adjustment but Woodcraft are less than 200.00
so it was a cheap gamble that payed off.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
2nd the Woodcraft - but also, clench the tank tighter with your thighs, use the larger muscles of your legs and trunk to hold your body to a better riding angle with less neck bending. Takes a lot of practice to resolve something we didn't worry about when we were younger.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2nd the Woodcraft - but also, clench the tank tighter with your thighs, use the larger muscles of your legs and trunk to hold your body to a better riding angle with less neck bending. Takes a lot of practice to resolve something we didn't worry about when we were younger.
Hmm... interesting comments, not sure I understand how it would help. I just don't like having to bend my neck up to see where I'm going. Very fatiguing. But my arms are only so long, and a normal "stance" holding the bars has me looking at the front wheel, not the road ahead. Not sure what it means to hold my body to a better riding angle, it seems pretty fixed with the bars where they are...

Steve

·
Registered
190 Posts
Shame, I’ve been riding sports bikes since I was 16 and I’m looking to lower my bars because I find the riding position too upright lol. Then again I am not 60 so I’ll see how I go in another 15 years. All the best!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
It was my hips that get affected by a sport riding position. With riser clip ons, you may still be limited with how high you can take them due to the fairing interference. You may also have to get longer cables.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I hear you re: riding position. I am at the age where I finally have a little time to do some longer trips, but my neck and back weren't up to doing it on the supersport (I've ridden sportbikes for 20+ years) which I bought because the riding position was more comfortable than a superbike. I sold the supersport last summer and bought a multistrada; it took some time to get used to the riding position, but man, it is comfortable. I went for a 4-1/2 hour ride today, a lot of it on gravel with random sandy soft spots requiring a lot of concentration (meaning tensely gripping the bars tightly and using the back brake to keep from wiping out), got home and you know where I was sore? Nowhere. My butt, back, neck, forearms, and wrists all felt awesome. I am really getting to like this multi; when we got off the gravel onto asphalt for the ride back home I left the KLR and KTM in the dust in the twisties.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was my hips that get affected by a sport riding position. With riser clip ons, you may still be limited with how high you can take them due to the fairing interference. You may also have to get longer cables.
Yeah, looking at it - the fairing interference will be a problem very quickly. I see tons of 1" risers on ebay for $30ish, although I don't expect that to transform the bike, maybe it'll be enough to make it tolerable. Certainly a cheap enough experiment to try. Even 1" looks like I'll have to so something with the brake and clutch fluid reservoirs to keep them from interfering.

Steve

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
For my Aprilia RSV 1000R, I used the Apex 3” risers. They had so much adjustment that I was able to find a decent and comfortable position. Still, I ended up getting a Streetfighter and I was so much happier. On a naked bike, you could just get different bars for a little over $100 and get the perfect position.

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
I was having the same issues on my 06 Sport 1000 I went with some Woodcraft
3" rise clip on's made a huge difference not only the rise but the angle was better.
There are tons of clip on's with more adjustment but Woodcraft are less than 200.00
so it was a cheap gamble that payed off.
Would it be possible to post of pic of your application??

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
A second vote for the Apex clip ons. They move in every possible direction. If you can’t get a good position with them, it’s just not going to be the bike for you.

·
Registered
503 Posts

Thanks,
Steve
You can flip them. I did mine a while back, here's the thread:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/89770-flipped-clip-ons-fi-ss.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A delayed report - I did the "flop the clip on" mod and am happy to say the improvement in riding position for me was enough that I can live with and enjoy the bike. Still need to do a little fine tuning – at full lock, one hand gets wedged under the mirror stalk and the other smashed against the gas tank. I don’t think I’ll be able to resolve these issues completely. But, these are pretty irrelevant problems when in motion. I find the riding position much more natural, and also allows you to sit nearly upright with a fingertip touch on the bars.

The mod wasn't quite as trivial as I'd expected - there's mounting nubs on the controls meant to go into drilled holes in the bars that don’t work with the bars flopped around. So I had to grind down all the nubs – they seem a bit superfluous anyway as the controls don’t move when tightened down securely.

Anyway, I’m pretty happy with the mod, cost/benefit ratio for this one can’t be beat, IMHO!

Steve

·
Registered
905 Posts
It may seem obvious, but be careful that the position isn't such that the bar can crash into the tank at full lock causing dents in the tank.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I tried swapping the brackets on 1000SS, doesnt work, wacky bar angle. Found a top triple tree on ebay that mounts a standard bar, but I dont know if that would clear the fairing.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Yeah, my bike had the clip-ons flipped when I got it and my hands hit the fairing at full lock. The angle was weird and hard on my wrists. So I put them back. I lay on the tank (that's what the pad is for!) and it helps a a lot. Still, after about 50 miles in town or 100 miles on the highway - my 50 year old back is done.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts