Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a 998, primarily street, but I wont rule out eventually making it to the track. Ive been looking at a few different types of pants, both textile and leather. I've been riding for a couple years and have gotten away with blue jeans for long enough, but know that I am taking a pretty big risk. Looking for something I can wear year round, I try not to ride in the rain so water resistance isnt an issue. Looking for the following features, 1) protection, 2) comfort, 3) subtlety (SP??). Price range from $100-$250. Thanks for any input,

Jason

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I just got a pair of Joe Rocket Mecury pants. They are leather non-perferated, I was really suprised how comfortable they are. The only bad thing about them is that they dont have a jacket attachment zipper, so thier really not ideal for track use. As for street riding they can be beat

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Joe Rocket Speedmasters here!!! Love 'em!!! ...so far. They fit me great right off the shelf, full circle zipper for my jacket also. I got the non-perf'ed ones and very anxious to see how hot they are this summer????????????? So far they are 'comfortable' with long johns (and not good ones at that) down to 45* I've tested. Also tested up to about 60*-62* without long johns and was comfortable/cool going down the road. I'm sure the perf'ed ones would be very nice in anything above 80+ but I think these will be very tolerable up to that point while moving. I have heard perf'ed ones are pretty useless below 55-60 depending on personal tolerance of course...We'll see.

Joe Rocket also gets a bad wrap alot of times and I have had nothing but great luck with them. Bang for the buck I would say they can't be beat. I shoped for leather gear for about 6 months and tried on everything under the sun. Nothing was more frustrating than trying on a $800 jacket that fit like crap. In the end I bought JR based on a very nice compromise between fit, protection, style, and price...in that order...and I think I made out pretty good. Plus, JR is about the only company I know of that you will be able to get some great leather pants and stay in your price range. If my Speedmasters end up too hot this summer, Im not even gonna shop around. I'm gonna get me a pair of the perf'ed Supermotos. FWIW I got the Blaster 3.0 jacket.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have on order a full suit from cycle port. I really like the features and strength numbers. I went to their shop and saw the proceess of assemble, very impressive. My brother is a mechanical engineer and we both like the materials and statistics (that my bro verified) that these materials have. Leather has been good for many, many, many years but it was only a matter of time for technology to surpass the benifits of leather.
Also note these are the only textile that are AMA/Werra/ARMA/AMF accepted!!

heres the site:
http://www.motoport.com/index.asp

heres the pants I bought:
http://www.motoport.com/detail.asp?InStock=1&PriceCall=0&Merchant_ID=G7Y9CEYc&Product_ID=780.102.530&Merchant_Company=Pants%20Gear&Category=Kevlar

and the jacket I got that zippes to them:
http://www.motoport.com/detail.asp?InStock=1&PriceCall=0&Merchant_ID=633Pm22C&Product_ID=800.102.365&Merchant_Company=Jackets%20Department&Category=Kevlar

I also opted for the full liners for cool weather.
good luck with your choice!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I recently picked up the Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0 pant for street riding. I have no complaints, but have only had the opportunity to use them in the colder weather thus far. Without anything under them they keep me warm enough. I imagine they will work equally well in the summer. If you end up buying a pair, just make sure to note they come in Short, Regular and Tall. ;)

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
I have some Joe Rocket Atomic Jeans. Heavy canvas with dense foam padding in the hips and knees. I low-sided in a turn at about 35-40 in those jeans and tore the knee got some rash on em but I walked away from the crash and didnt even have a bruise or scratch on my body. Just fractured my ankle. I was lucky with that crash and injury. For commuting I am looking for some ballistic nylon with padding... like the JR Ballistic 5.0

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.