Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've been back home for a few weeks now mulling over the matter and I think I'm capable of posting my trip without crying about it being over...for now ;)

Last month I went to the south of France to visit some Ducatisti friends who were kind enough to show me around the region and make my 15 days I spent there some of the best memories I have to the present. I flew there so unfortunately didn't have my bikes with me but I made myself comfortable in both the passenger's and the rider's seat of a friend's 1098 (merci mon ami :) )

Well I'll summarise the trip as there is no way I can describe the whole experience and lead you through all the pics one at a time. We visited heaps of castles which seemed to be everywhere we went, lots of medieval villages, towns etc but the routes we took were fantastic!!! Most the roads we travelled were amazing, good grip and smooth, curvey of course and the scenery was unlike anything I've seen; Green everywhere, forests with huge rock cliffs rising out of them and at the top you'd see a castle just to put a cherry on the icing :) Rivers, lakes and just breathtaking views everywhere! I was so busy taking all this in that I didn't take as many photos as I would have liked, especially with what we all want to see-Ducati bikes!!! I enjoyed a few solo rides too, just taking a cool curvey tree-lined route and always stopping at a quaint village on the return for "un grand café noir" ;)

I remember a friend showing me this road that went along the side of a rock cliff that was about 2km long maybe and had 65 curves if I remember correctly. He handed me the keys and said "Go check it out" so I hopped on the duc without a second thought and went zig-zagging down the road and back, with the forest and river sending me a cool breeze from below the rock. Um...did I say I could post this without bursting into tears cos it's over? Errr, ok, pull yourself together girl! :rolleyes:

Anyway, enjoy the pics and I'll add any more comments further down if needed. Sorry it's mainly photos of me in places but did you know that you aren't allowed to take motorcycles with you into castles and other monuments in France?:confused: Strange country!:eek:

p.s: If you are wondering what the plate of food is, it's frog legs! :crazy:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
Sounds like you had a fantastic time. So, lucky the South of France and time on a Ducati - envious. Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks 748girl, I hope to repeat the trip and visit more places I didn't get to see this time but I have some other trips planned too...I hope it pans out :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,658 Posts
Thanks for sharing your adventure.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I hope to repeat the trip and visit more places I didn't get to see this time
Well if you want to join us -a gang of four Ducatisti, one of whom being a girl-, we will ride the South of France the last weekend of October.
We are planning 2.5 days of riding around Cannes between Friday noon, October 30th and Sunday late afternoon, November 1st.

Weekend riding highlights will include the infamous Route Napoleon, the loop around the Verdon Gorge (the world's second largest gorge), the Gorges du Loup and the magnificent views from the ancient perched village of Gourdon, the track-like Route des Adrets (my favorite stretch of twisting asphalt on the French Riviera), the Golden Coast, the Corniches of the Riviera between Nice and Menton, etc.

Note that if you're tired of being a pillion rider, Ducati rental motorcycles are available at preferential rates at http://www.columbus-international.com/ in Cannes.

Cheers!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well if you want to join us -a gang of four Ducatisti, one of whom being a girl-, we will ride the South of France the last weekend of October.
We are planning 2.5 days of riding around Cannes between Friday noon, October 30th and Sunday late afternoon, November 1st.

Weekend riding highlights will include the infamous Route Napoleon, the loop around the Verdon Gorge (the world's second largest gorge), the Gorges du Loup and the magnificent views from the ancient perched village of Gourdon, the track-like Route des Adrets (my favorite stretch of twisting asphalt on the French Riviera), the Golden Coast, the Corniches of the Riviera between Nice and Menton, etc.

Note that if you're tired of being a pillion rider, Ducati rental motorcycles are available at preferential rates at http://www.columbus-international.com/ in Cannes.

Cheers!
Merci John:)

Max, thanks for the invite! Unfortunately I can't get away from work right now to return for some more Desmofun in France :(
From the places you mention I did the Verdon Gorge (it was such an amazing road going through there with the forest and river following us) and stopped at a few key points along there, I also went to Gourdon. I don't remember the names of all the places (hey, it was 15 days ok? :p ) so it's possible I saw some more places in your route plan.
Luckily I wasn't a pillion rider for all the trips but I definitely would bring my own bike next time or arrange before-hand to have a bike waiting for me there so I can ride ALL the routes myself!:D
Desmoriders united all over the world!!!;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's a charmed life you lead Desmobabe! Thanks for another great trip recap and sharing the photos.

·
Administrator
11,791 Posts
Thanks for sharing, inspires all of us to ride and tour more. GREAT photos!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just got back from a street party at the classic motorcycle club of my city, I really wish I had an old duc to pull up with, a Pantah or an old 900ss. Who knows, maybe in the future...;) After all those beers though maybe it's best I didn't handle any heavy machinery hehe:p

Thanks for the feedback, I hope I have many more desmotrips to post in the near future :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts