Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was curious as to how many still ride their bikes during the rainy season. Is it out of choice and do you find it particularly difficult? Perhaps any stories of rain riding that are either amusing or of the clenched-cheeks variety?

When I 18 and was first taking MSF course, it was raining that entire weekend. I don't mean a light rain either, it was seriously raining. Class wasn't canceled at all though. Me, being 18, thought hey, its just a little rain, nothing to worry about. So I had my leather gloves I bought for 20 bucks at a bike store, my hoodie, jeans and boots and I figured I was set.

I was sorely mistaken.

That weekend was the first time I was ever on a motorcycle. I was given an open face helmet because thats all they had there for us there. Even going 20-30mph hurt like hell with the rain smacking my face. Coupled with the fact that it was also cold, my whole body was frozen and stiff. My hands hurt so much I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to squeeze the clutch or front brake at all.

Needless to say, i invested in some waterproof gear after that. I guess the best thing that came out of that was I had rain riding experience with instructors, so I knew what to do in that kind of weather.

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
I'll ride for fun in the mud but street isn't fun for me. It is survival in every sense. I have done it for years before I bought a cage

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
Like Bill I will start out a long trip in the rain, but a day ride, forget it.

I have ridden thousands of kilometres in pouring, drenching rain over the years and I don't enjoy it, its not fun. Two Sundays ago, the forecast was reasonable, a ride was suggested by me to himself and after a few phone calls we had a little group organised for a gentle ride the following day :)

The weather man said showers in the Eastern Ranges. I asked himself if we would be going to the Eastern Ranges, the reply was that we would not be going that far East. Either we did go further East than intended, or the weather man fibbed. The result was big rain and hail. Hate hail, it stings, husband whinged at lunch that it hurt his hands - sook, I said it hurt me elsewhere - chest area;). Got quite wet, but then the sun came out and I was dry before we stopped for lunch - all was good.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I've ridden a lot of miles in the rain on tour, and I used to commute in the rain quite a bit. But I had a very short commute at the time.

Like others said, it's not fun. Above 80mph or so rain drops hurt too. But it's not the worst thing in the world. Especially if you have decent rain gear and a place to change at work. The only thing that's really scary is when rain is accompanied by strong wind. I've been pushed into another lane by strong wind gusts on slippery wet roads. A lot of cagers suck at driving in the rain, and you're harder for them to see in heavy down pours. So you have to be extra vigilent, as well as all the other stuff I'm sure you already know, like being smoother with your inputs, breaking early, etc.

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
I love wet brakes , diminished traction , getting soaked , and snot too..... Gets the bugs off the bike

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Was curious as to how many still ride their bikes during the rainy season. Is it out of choice and do you find it particularly difficult?
I don't have any issues with riding in the rain. With all the rain we've been getting in this area this year, I've probably logged between 4000 and 5000 miles in the rain since January 1st. Heck, just the "Ducks Along the Blue Ridge" and the "Ducks Fly South" rallies sponsored by US Desmo got me almost 2000 miles of riding in the rain just from those two weekends.

When riding in the rain, I just have to slow down a little bit and pay special attention to avoid the painted lines. In addition to this, you just have to be smooth on the throttle and the brakes. Actually, being forced to ride smoother in the rain (throttle and brake control) makes you a better rider in the dry.......and you'll be amazed at the traction regular street tires have on wet roads.

Like others said, it's not fun. Above 80mph or so rain drops hurt too.
I've never noticed any pain from riding in the rain.....but I'm always wearing full gear. Even at 100+ you don't feel a thing when the rain drops hit you. ;)

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Your Southern summer rain is warm. Our rain up here in the PNW is cold any time of the year.
The temp of the rain doesn't matter. Ambient temps can be 40-degrees (not snowing) or 90-degrees and my answer would be the same.....slow down a little, watch out for the painted lines, and be smooth with your throttle and brakes. ;)

I prefer not to ride in the rain, but in my situation, I don't really have a choice when the wife says, "We have a babysitter and we're going riding!" :D

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
As others have said you just have to pay extra attention to what's going on around you and have the proper gear and riding in the rain is not a big problem. I commute on my bike almost every day, if it’s pouring in the morning I’ll take the truck but I’ll ride if it’s dry in the morning but supposed to rain in the evening. I just don’t like getting to work with all the road grim on my neck and face where it blows up under the shield.

·
Señor Member
8,027 Posts
I've been caught in the rain but don't go out to purposely ride in it. I don't have the proper gear for it and that's more my excuse than just because I don't like it.

"in God we trust"

·
Registered
238 Posts
Never set out to ride when it was raining. But I have definately been caught in a few rain storms here and there. No fun at all. Unless yer on a dirtbike. Now thats fun! I have been curious though, I've been ridin this 749 that I built for a little while now, and fortunately so far I have not been caught in the rain. But It will happen eventually. My question is. Being that the air intakes are in the front, does all that water make its way in through the intakes and soak the crap out of the air filters??

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
Rode for 3 years, rain or shine back when I was young and stup... er... ah... more tolerant. The right gear can keep it from being miserable, but if there are only a few reasons to own a cage, this one ranks right up near the top (right below hauling manure for the garden). There was another thread on here regarding foul-weather riding, and the real full-goose-bozo folks are the ones riding around in the SNOW! There was even a link to one guy's vid of riding his bike (I think it was an ST3 or ST4) in the snow. Crazy bastage!
P.S. The real reason to not ride in the rain if you don't need to is... cleaning the bike afterwards as a royal pain!

·
Chilehead
6,979 Posts
I sometimes do multi-day trips, and if it rains it rains, I still have to ride.

If I'm home and it's raining, then I normally won't go out unless it's local and I'm heading somewhere where it's not raining, or I just need to run to the store and don't want to use the car because of traffic.

If it's not raining, but maybe on part of my intended route, I bring rain gear.

All my bikes have seen rain, and some even snow.

I was quite surprised that the Pilot Race tires that came on my 999R were actually fairly decent in the rain and cold (6C and light rain in the Alps).

Tom

·
Registered
651 Posts
I ride to work almost every day. I only stop when I'm afraid it will ice up or snow. I do tend to take the SuperSport when I know it will rain. It has already been thru hell and back and needs to be rebuilt. A couple of years in South Texas salt air did a real number on the poor girl. She's my work horse!

Pacific Northwest so now I buy very good rain gear!!!! :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts