Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my bike finally due back from the shop later this week my hunger to ride is... well, considering that I couldn't ride all last season, pretty easy to imagine.

That hunger brought to mind a piece is wrote for Ducati com some 11 summers ago...

-don

·
Still needs a life.
12,612 Posts
Many folks organize rides to favorite out of town dining spots for lunch or dinner, giving yet another meaning to riding for the sense of taste.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
Many folks organize rides to favorite out of town dining spots for lunch or dinner, giving yet another meaning to riding for the sense of taste.
hear hear ! (no pun intended :)).

i too ride for many of the reasons you mention, and believe that all of the five senses come into play, but those of sight (the roads and world around me) and feel (wind, pulsating motor) mean the most to me. the sense of hearing is coutered by the ear plugs i wear, with the exception of the food destinations or cigars i enjoy, taste is of less importance, but the smell of different environments does arouse.

fun read, Don, thanks for sharing.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys mention food and cigars tying in with riding destination. I concur with both!

One of my most memorable rides was the very first time I rode New Hampshire's famous "Kank" (The Kancamagus Highway) on a Ducati. We had just formed "CD-ROM" i.e. -- "Crazed Ducati-Riders of Massachusetts" -- and one of its earliest members was a Harley guy who had just bought a Monster.

He and I had little in common, background-wise, but we both enjoyed our bikes, good roads and... cigars. His family had immigrated to the US from Cuba and one way or another he had access to Cuban cigars. What a treat, then, when during a rest stop at one of The Kank's many scenic stopping points he opened his saddle bag, reached in, and then offered me one of those rare treats.

We sat on some boulders overlooking the Presidential Chain, soaked up the sun, and drew deeply from the wonderful tobacco.

A beautiful day, a great ride, a good companion, and then that wonderful aromatic cigar. Of such memories are made.

Julio, if you are out there someplace... Thanks for that memory! :)

-don

1 - 4 of 4 Posts