Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else frustrated that only jockey weight riders are competitive for the front. With all the electronic aids making the bikes easier to get around the track, normal sized people just can not compete.

Weight them up like in horse racing???

Bob

·
Registered
110 Posts
No, it's part of the sport. Maybe weight classes, like wrestling?
For the big boys, there is downhill skiing. My 6'2" 240 lb frame can testify to that.
True what you say though. I still regret shattered dreams of sports cars that I could finally afford, but could not fit into.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have nothing against smaller people, but a bike is so light and the improved power/weight is meaningful. It kills all the talented folks who are more average sized. With all the electronic aids it seems unfair to me. W/o the aids it would not be such an advantage.

Bob

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
well... you could also look at it this way.
Last year everyone was thinking that the "BIG' bikes would favor the "BIGGER" guys... that the "LITTLE" guys would have a hard time with the bigger motor and more power in '12.

chuck that theory in the bin...

It is definitely an advantage... between the weight and the transmission... from Crutchlow's on-obard camera... you could see Pedrosa walk away from him and his Yamaha coming out of the turns at Jerez...

all part of the game though... kudo's to the smaller guys if they can manage the bike and the power... even with the electronics they look like a fookin handful...

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,738 Posts
Sounds like you need less Texans riding in MotoGp and more of them in contact sports. :D

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
damn Davy.... that was harsh... :D

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
IIRC Josh Herrin had stated he was not fit enough to ride the 1000cc R1 after last week's race in Georgia. He did finish on the podium however. But that was interesting...he's only 135lbs...
Yates did well on his Suzuki 600cc and he was near 200lbs. He could chuck that bike anywhere he wanted, IMO one of the AMA's most talented riders at the time.
Pedrosa seems to weaken as the race goes on. He should get the holeshot every time he's so tiny.
It is an intersting topic, imagine if each Superbike must weigh in at a certain weight when rider and bike are combined.

·
Registered
516 Posts
i like the combined rider/bike weight idea. It would still give the small guy an advantage as they could play with weight distribution just not as big an advantage as it does now

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With anti wheelie, anti this and that, the strength of a larger rider is not advantageous in any significant weigh (pun intended). The idea of 1000 cc bikes to make control a greater challenge is meaningless when the power of the 800cc bikes was limited in the lower 4 gears anyway.

Added bike weight might make a difference, but I don't know anyone who wants that.

Minimum total weight really make sense to me. How to administer it is a whole new discussion.

B

·
7,738 Posts
Bob, don't you think there are already enough rules in this sport already?
Bigger blokes have the advantage of moving their weight around a lot on the bike which is something that has been used to great effect in the past.
There is really only one tiny rider who is getting a real weight bonus presently and for what it's worth Ben Spies only weighs in at 71 Kilos.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinking of the long term viability of the sport. All great riders start somewhere and if only super light riders can reach the top echelon, what does that say about the hero worship most beginning riders need.

I was thinking bike and rider total should target a roughly 65 kilo rider.

B

·
7,738 Posts
Bob

Top level bike racing has been around a long time and a cyclic dip in the economic climate isn't going to kill it... it even survived WW2.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bob

Top level bike racing has been around a long time and a cyclic dip in the economic climate isn't going to kill it... it even survived WW2.

I agree (actually hope) it will likely last far into the future. It all about creating appeal to the largest possible masses. I think marketing for a living.

World Superbike is winning the hearts and minds at the moment, with more limits on the electronic aids.

The mixed field to fill out the grid is a bad omen to me.

As goofy as left turning NASCAR is to me, it's hard to argue with its success, and the France Family ran it with one thought, what do the fans want, that is close competive racing. They stomped on any advantage one team got over the other.

I guess only time will tell. I really prefer the premier class over production derived.

Bob

·
7,738 Posts
I agree with you Bob, having been a fan since the Hailwood/Agostini days I have no doubt the sport will survive the hoohaa promoters with all the fancy ideas and no real feel for the sport at grass roots level, their turning it into something more like world series wrestling.
How about a team salary cap on riders for a start like we have here with the NRL players, then more cash would be available across the board to other teams and riders.
Cash is the greatest leveler of all.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
I agree (actually hope) it will likely last far into the future. It all about creating appeal to the largest possible masses. I think marketing for a living.

World Superbike is winning the hearts and minds at the moment, with more limits on the electronic aids.

The mixed field to fill out the grid is a bad omen to me.

As goofy as left turning NASCAR is to me, it's hard to argue with its success, and the France Family ran it with one thought, what do the fans want, that is close competive racing. They stomped on any advantage one team got over the other.

I guess only time will tell. I really prefer the premier class over production derived.

Bob
Thank you, Bob. I thought I was the only one left beating the 'Let's not have two different classes of bikes in one race' idea. I fully appreciate the financial stresses the sport is under, but we're well on our way to a world with one muddied class of Motogp and WSBK's machines all being way too similar.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Bob

You are absolutely correct. Top level racing will survive this current dip. My only question is "In what form?" Will it continue to be a prototype format (as it has for decades through other economic shake ups) or some hybrid animal consisting of part prototype and part production? I don't pretend to have answers.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Speaking of Nascar and their promotion, did anyone see this weeks Top Gear UK? (Probably aired a few months ago for you non USA'ers) It was interesting how they compared it to F1, the promotional differences, how it plays directly to the fans, and while it looks easy how hard it actually is, even according to former F1 drivers.

They had an interview with Juan Pablo Montoya in which he pretty much said that the F1 is a technological marvel and much easier to drive than a NASCAR. He said the NASCARs are never settled, don't want to turn, don't want to stop, and there are 43 of them out there doing 200 mph while trading paint. He said the fans want to see close tight racing where the outcome is not predetermined in qualifying. He even mocked how F1 used to give awards for "the most overtakes in a season" and it was 2.

No doubt Moto 2, Moto3, WSBK is fun to watch, but I think they should have a MOTO 1, 2, 3 and a MotoGP.

If it were up to me:

The GP class is only a few rules, bring your wallet.

1. You have xx amount of tires a weekend from any MFG you choose, no overnight tires.
2. Must have max two wheels.
3. Must be piloted, no remote control.
4. Motor can be any configuration, with any type of power adder you wish. (electric propulsion or hybrid ok, diesel ok)
5. Electronics of any type are allowed.
6. You get 10 motors a season so make them last. After #10 is gone, your season is done.
7. No refueling stops.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts