Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three of us rode to Mt. Baker today rather than be one of thousands of motorcycles at a motorcycle show in a nearby town. We headed north on Hwy. 9 out of Arlington and took the usual side routes off Hwy. 9 including the road to Lake Cavanaugh, Knapp/Gunderson Road, Day Creek Road/South Skagit Highway, and some roads north of Sedro Woolley.

We stopped at Acme for a break, then hit Mosquito Lake Road to Mt. Baker Hwy. We back tracked west to Hwy. 9 and followed it north to South Pass Road just out of Noosack. The lead rider got lucky and got around the horse tralier which we other two guys droned behind for most of the way to Hwy. 547. Truly a waste of a good road.

We went north on 547 briefly, then turned east on Reese Hill Road. This runs NE along Vedder Mountain, then becomes gravel as it turns south and connects with South Pass Road. We took South Pass Road NE to what I call the "Canada Turn", where the road turns south just yards from the Canadian border. Some of British Columbia's more (in)famous agricultural export has been known to enter the U.S. in this remote area.

As the road turns south it becomes Silver Lake Road and we got behind yet aanother horse trailer. Gawd I hate them!!! We poked behind it, wasting some good twisties, before it turned off at a ranch and we proceeded to Maple Falls for lunch at the Frosty Inn.

After filling up ourselves and the bikes, we headed east on the Mt. Baker Hwy. The highway is in very good condition and is open as far as the ski area. The road was fairly vacant, no doubt too late for the skiers and too early for the hikers, although we did see a few hardy souls on bicycles. We had to make a stop on the way up to don rain gear. What had started out as a beautiful sunny day turned cloudy, but not cold. It sprinkled a few drops on the way up and the road was a little wet, but nothing dangerous so long as you rode carefully and did not attempt to set any speed records.

We took a few photos, which I have posted below. We headed back down the mountain and took the highway directly west to Mosquito Lake Rd., which we took to Acme on Hwy. 9. After a break at Acme, we took Hwy. 9 straight south except for a little diversion on Fruitdale Road north of Sedro Woolley.

The ride home on Hwy. 9 was the worst part of the trip with lots of slow cars and even slower horse trailers. I wish there were a law limiting the riding of horses to one's own property. It was a 300 mile day for me and my clean bike now needs another wash, but I did buy it to ride.

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Return to Mt. Baker (08/13/06)

Three of us + my son Daren (riding two up with me) rode to Artist Point on Mt. Baker to celebrate the Third Anniversary of the first group ride of our regional riding club. The ride through the 35 mph zone up the ski lodge and the narrow road from the lodge to Artist Point was made very tricky by all the bicyclists. Of particular concern were the blind 15 mph hairpins, where one cringed at the thought of running up the back of a cyclist while in full lean on the inside of the corner. Most of the cyclists tried to stay to the side of the road, but there were the inevitable 1-2 jerks who insisted in riding in the center of the lane. I was glad I was on a motorcycle so that I could squeeze by them in my lane in the face of oncoming traffic.

On the return trip we rode north out of Maple Falls past Silver Lake to where the road turns SW just yards from the Canadian border. We rode on to Sumas and had lunch within sight of the border.

After lunch we headed south for Bellingham and Chuckanut Drive along Puget Sound. From Chuckanut I could look west across Rosario Strait and see the San Juan Islands, including Orcas Island where we had ridden the week before. Continuing south, we took every side road possible to avoid what is becoming the Sunday standstill on southbound I-5 between Smokey Point and Everett.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Wish I could have been there to ride with you guys! My wife and I used to ride up to Washington Pass and Baker Lake when we lived in Oak Harbor.
We hope to move back to that area when we retire.
Gil

1 - 3 of 3 Posts