Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

How do you treat a low production # bike like a PS Repilca?

• Ride the snot out of it, and do 2000 miles a month!

Votes: 74 68.5%
  • Low miles it, on a sunny sunday gathering.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • Store it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Put it in the living room!

Votes: 4 3.7%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have seena couple of threads now about limited production bikes, suoerbikes, etc.... and how some believe that they should be kept low miles and ridden occassionally.
Others believe that should be ridden, tracked, and the like.

That being said, please participate in this poll.

I am a believer of ride the hell out of it, BTW.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
bikes are meant to be ridden!..period!..ride the friggen snot out of it!...that is what it was meant for!

·
Registered
835 Posts
i think its a combo of riding it and keeping it nice and clean!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I wouldn't commute on it, but I sure as hell wouldn't put it up on a pedestal and worship it either.

It's a poor choice of an investment if you ask me.

The only reason you would buy a bike and not ride it is soley for the purpose that you think it gives you the image you want.

Otherwise, it's a poor decision for an investment IMO.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
What? What??? These are DUCATIS for gods sakes. Handmade by elves. These are not like M&M's. They are very special. They have individual serial numbers and everything.

·
Registered
576 Posts
ducati955 said:
i think its a combo of riding it and keeping it nice and clean!
Second this one. Can't imagine paying for it and just looking at it.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
st2lemans said:
I clean mine by riding in the rain.

Tom
Around here "cleaning it" means I'm selling it. Rain or no rain!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think people get bikes for different reasons, so I don't think there's any wrong answer per se. If I were to get the Paul Smart bike, I wouldn't ride it that much, because if I were to get it, I would already have several other bikes. If someone can afford to buy one as decoration for their play room, more power to 'em. It would be a sunny day casual ride for me.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Man, lot's of very good answers...why? Like danielspdx said, there's no wrong anwer here. We all work hard (maybe) for our money and this is America so we reserve the right to do what we want with it. Now that I'm off my soap box, if I could have a new Xerox bike, it would be a weekend toy. I wouldn't baby it, but doubt I'd track it for fear of any accident. Guess you could argue that a track is probably safer than the local freeways though. Put it this way, it would spend it's fair share of time clean and serving as eye candy!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Ducati 900SS Final Edition #208 of 300 imported to the US, one of 800 sold worldwide.

Mileage when purchased in 1998: 3
Mileage when sold in 2005: 39,000 (give or take)

Track Days: 11
Crashes: 3 (one a driveway tip-over without me on it)
Bodywork: Aftermarket (DP)
Frame: replaced after on-street crash

And did the new owner decide to return it to stock when he bought it? HELL NO!

Gawd, wait'll you guys see it. I got a sneak preview when I visited MotoWheels a coupla weeks ago and it's shaping up to be friggin' gorgeous.

Martin -- take a pic of the frame and post it so people can "ooo" and "aah" and drool over it.

Bottom line: this was not a pampered garage queen!!!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Opinion #2

I have dreams of buying a perfectly restored 200 Elite and putting it on a low pedestal in my family room.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The only bike I would baby or put on a shelf would have to have some sort of race history or personal history. Other than that, ride the snot out of it. I like to get my personal moneys worth through mileage.:D

·
Registered
835 Posts
one day i want to buy a low mileage 916 if possible and put it in the living room, hhAhahahah! scik

·
Registered
291 Posts
Besides my Duc, I drive an Alfa and they have something in common with Ferrari. As Italian cars there is a well known thing call the Italian tune up which is basically, drive the piss out of it and they'll stay in good working condition. I am a firm believer that the Ducati falls into this same category. Most of the Italian cars and bikes I hear of in the shop with problems all the time are babied. The ones that are driven hard, keep running well. Call it superstition or old wive's tale... but I hear the redline callin' my name:)

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Yes, hitting the rev limiter is like normal for me. Except my Guzzis, they don't have one. I just rev them until I get valve float. And a 1036cc LeMans with 13" wheels (sidecar attached) gets there pretty often.

Tom

·
Registered
263 Posts
meh... there's no way I believe driving the piss out of it will keep anything in better working order.

I don't "baby" my bikes, but I don't abuse them either. Flogging the crap out of Ducatis will cause rocker failure, lol. I think using them reasonably often and doing the maintenace properly is the key to having them last forever. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
fraz said:
Besides my Duc, I drive an Alfa and they have something in common with Ferrari. As Italian cars there is a well known thing call the Italian tune up which is basically, drive the piss out of it and they'll stay in good working condition. I am a firm believer that the Ducati falls into this same category. Most of the Italian cars and bikes I hear of in the shop with problems all the time are babied. The ones that are driven hard, keep running well. Call it superstition or old wive's tale... but I hear the redline callin' my name:)
You might have something here! My ST4s is 3 years old and I have 48,000 miles on the clock. My valves have been adjusted once at 18,000 miles and have stayed in spec ever since. I have no flaking rockers. I actually think the engine didn't feel fully broken in until around 30,000+ miles!

I'm a total advocate for 'ride it all the time and it will keep running fine'!

However, I must warn people out there to check and change their wheel bearings periodically! My rear wheel bearings were checked at every 12,000 mile service, but I lost the right-side bearing last Monday when it granaded while riding! I now need a new wheel, hub sleeve, both bearings, axle, axle nut and rear brake caliper bracket!! From now on, I'm getting my bearings changed every 24,000 miles, even if they appear to be fine! :eek:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts