Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Multi drivers ...I gotta put in a big "plug" for the Booster Plug ( no pun intended , just major praise !) just got done with a 20 mile test flight dodge'n rain showers ,
on wet cold roads , and my 2016 P/P ran the best it ever has in the year I've owned it...I'm sure some of ya'll can remember some of my bitching about the jerking/surging/ stumbling/
lean bullshit performance (mainly low rpms ) this last year, well 90% of all that bad behavior is gone ..GONE..this is the way it should have run out of the box...nice !

Now I've heard some of the negative comments of how it doesn't/ won't work , but other bikes have this lean problem too...I rode a friends year old BMW GS with the booster plug widget
that he put in , in addition to a fairly new Triumph recently ..and .they were very "civilized" and a pleasure to ride ..after doing a lot of reading on other forums ,etc etc all favorable comments,
decided to try it myself ...hell I've spent more than the 160$ on marginal meal with my wife in a nice restaurant recently . plus I wanted to check my airbox cover and see if I had the new
enlarged opening that is supposed to help/be better...0f course the airbox/filter is buried under the gas tank ..real pain in the ass to get to...all the other Ducati's I own/owned I could do the job
in minutes instead of hours, and that is were the little booster box has to plug in ( pre DVT motors had a different filter and much easier side access I believe )
...thanks Ducati <sigh>for the major surgery required ...oh well

I'm really looking forward to some frisky riding soon I hope, on some dry streets , but wet slow conditions was where the bike really suck before, no fun, was spooky and downright dangerous

gotta run right now, just thought I would throw this out there , a lot of bang for the buck ..will report back more soon ...cheers

·
Registered
414 Posts
People, don't put this crap on your bike, and don't listen to word of mouth. I've been through this on several forums. I will make only one post here.

The Booster plug does do something, but I don't approve of it. I've seen the results of some of those on a dyno and I don't like the strange swings in air/fuel ratio. It almost feels like going back to carburetors that are hard to tune. Sure you can get it to run a little richer here or there, but your air/fuel ratio isn't going to be that perfect straight line that that you would get with a Power Commander and a trip to the dyno.

The bottom line: you get what you pay for. I wouldn't put one of those on my bike. Save your money and do it right.

If you intend to keep your bike for a while, don't do a half assed tuning job with a Booster Plug.

The internet is loaded with people trying to cheap out and then posting a glorious review about it trying to convince themselves and the rest of the world of what a great decision they made. Don't go for it.

No offense to the OP, but here is their face turns red and they start furiously slamming away the response at the keyboard.
Why are there so many favorable comments on the Boosterplug? You have to consider the target market. The target market generally has no clue what's good and what's bad, and has no intention at all of getting a bike on a dyno to see how messed up their air/fuel ratio really is. That is why we have ZERO plots of air/fuel ratios of the Boosterplug on the internet. Even if they did, the dyno isn't going to fully help test this booster plug situation as temperature swings drastically affect performance.

It's psychological. The person who buys a Boosterplug REALLY wants to have good results and really wants to tell the world how great their new mod is. So they make it so mentally. People who install this can indeed feel a difference. In their mind they make it a good difference and then head straight to a forum to yell it to the world. This product succeeds because people want it to succeed. DON'T GO FOR IT.

About all I can say is that praise for the Boosterplug reflects very poorly on the person giving the praise. Let that sink in for a second.
This is the Ducati forum. Now I expect dorks putting Boosterplugs on 300 Ninjas, but this is a freakin Multistrada, one of the best bikes in the world and not cheap at all, and you've got to put this cheap garbage on it. WTF?

Point made.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I Agree. Do it Right.

I went through this with mine, read everything i could on it.

At the end of the day, why stick a cheap resistor/circuit thing on a $15k Bike.

Do it right.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
At the end of the day, why stick a cheap resistor/circuit thing on a $15k Bike?
Why buy a (more like) $20K+ bike that doesn't have perfect fueling from the start?

While the Booster Plug is not for me (I'm a TuneBoy guy despite the occasional frustration :)), I could easily see it as an alternative for ...

1. Guys with zero tinkering skills who want (more like need) something easy to install. Sadly, guys with zero tinkering skills are taking over the world. :(

2. Guys who get a new bike every other year (again, not me) and want something that can easily return a bike to stock form.

3. Guys who are getting older (more and more like me :eek:) and are getting too tired or lazy to do it right ... assuming the fueling is pretty good from the start.

Just some thoughts. I dunno. Nothing serious.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, that didn't take long ...don't hold back, tell us what ya really think Zaph , LOL.! Hey I've heard the "snake oil" comments , and I had doubts fer sure,
but like I said, I saw lots of favorable comments people had for other bike applications , and noticed a big difference myself on friends bikes ..and mine too..so wtf.

I realize it's a "bandaid" cheap fix, of sorts , and I've already talked to the Rapid Bike and Akra folks this year (vs termi and ecu) and I've done lots of track and Dyno time my Ducatis
since the Beveldrive time in the 70's ( still got a couple pristine ones I don't ride anymore ) but I'm not trying to squeeze the last oz. of torque/hp from my multi ,
not what I bought it for..been there done that , and I've tinkered and tried different things on every bike I've owned , they all can be improved

I'm not trying to sell Booster plugs , just reporting it made the fueling on my 20k+ bike that sucked... way more civilized/predictable/smoother to ride...
hope it continues to work for the time being ..until the next chapter/step.

go ahead "pile-on" all ya want , I've been around a long time and have thick skin.....cheers

·
Registered
239 Posts
It works better on some bikes then others but On my Thruxton R it definitely helped smooth it out after I removed the cat and I did it back to back with it off and on. Is it a huge diff? No but it did smooth out my drivability issues to a noticeable degree. All depends what you are after I guess. It merely fools the IAT that it is 30 degrees colder out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It merely fools the IAT that it is 30 degrees colder out.
I see, the colder reading fools the EFI into running the mixture a bit richer. (air is denser at colder temp) All modern bikes are set to run lean out of the box due to emissions concerns. I could see this simple approach working to some degree. However, I'm also concerned that it might be off at times.

Reactions: CRFan1

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
Why buy a (more like) $20K+ bike that doesn't have perfect fueling from the start?

While the Booster Plug is not for me (I'm a TuneBoy guy despite the occasional frustration :)), I could easily see it as an alternative for ...

1. Guys with zero tinkering skills who want (more like need) something easy to install. Sadly, guys with zero tinkering skills are taking over the world. :(

2. Guys who get a new bike every other year (again, not me) and want something that can easily return a bike to stock form.

3. Guys who are getting older (more and more like me :eek:) and are getting too tired or lazy to do it right ... assuming the fueling is pretty good from the start.

Just some thoughts. I dunno. Nothing serious.
Perfect fueling from the factory is a thing of the past... Euro spec's are forcing manufacturers to compromise performance in the name of hitting efficiency, noise, and other non-performance oriented targets, SO... if you really want good fueling you'll need to do it yourself. (at least for a while as companies sort out how to deal with the regs)

I however agree with the sentiment that low cost quick fixes are unlikely to work without substantial downsides because the fueling changes made by the factory aren't simple. IMO if you have a cheap bike and are on a tight budget then I understand giving something like this a try - but these bikes aren't cheap... get a decent tune package (still under a grand, less than desmo service).

·
Registered
414 Posts
Zaph's response has me thinking he's actually the majority shareholder of Dynojet, the company that makes the Power Commander. :)
Nah, I'm Dick from the internet.

I've used many Power Commanders and a Bazzaz here and there but make no mistake I don't favor those. Where possible I will always choose a direct ECU tune. I'm finding more and more dyno operators with the knowledge to do it, but unfortunately more bikes that don't allow it with ECU's getting locked down with no ability to flash. I'm a big owner of Triumph and KTM bikes, most of which I've been able to map with TuneECU.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Aren't the latest ECU's on Ducati's locked up so that there is no way to implement a power commander or tuneboy?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Aren't the latest ECU's on Ducati's locked up so that there is no way to implement a power commander or tuneboy?
Power commander is an add on device that can be used with essentially any ECU, even a locked one. It basically intercepts the signals from the various sensors (TPS, Injectors, ignition, etc.), modifies them and sends that new data to the ECU....

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
Rexxer has the ability to modify DVT ECU's... to my knowledge they're the only tuner that is ECU based. All the others are more or less complex versions of signal intercept based devices.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey good morning Dave, last I heard you were happy with the arrow/.decat/and rapidbike combo, still true?
I remember somebody in the past, here on the list had a real nightmare / problem with the USA domestic designated Rexxer guy

is "send to Germany" an option ? just curious....anyone here on the forum messed with the Rexxer folks?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hey good morning Dave, last I heard you were happy with the arrow/.decat/and rapidbike combo, still true?
I remember somebody in the past, here on the list had a real nightmare / problem with the USA domestic designated Rexxer guy

is "send to Germany" an option ? just curious....anyone here on the forum messed with the Rexxer folks?
Communication with the Rexxer guy here in the US is horrible and he will not talk on the phone which I find rediculous. My .02 I personally would never deal with him again.

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts

I wanted to go the Rexxer route but the feedback on their US rep is pretty terrible... so yea I went with Rapidbike EVO and I'm happy with the result. I still don't really LIKE signal intercept devices because of the increase in 'things that can go wrong'... but I have to say the dual map feature on the Rapidbike unit is probably worth the slightly increased risk. (also, Rapidbike has a plug you can use to bypass their controller if something isn't working... without having to swap the wiring back).

To be clear... the whole setup doesn't make a lot more power if any (10 or less I'd bet), but the bike sounds better and looks better with the Arrow kit, and with the CF wheels and gearing change the bike is (LARGE sotp difference) more capable of squidlike stupidity without losing any of it's touring chops (other than slightly more frequent fuel stops). And rapidbike has smoothed out low rpm behavior as well as (in combination maybe with Ducati updates) eliminated the mid-range hole that the 1200's used to have.

·
Registered
403 Posts
To the OP, I've used a temp spoofer on my BMW R1200S and it definitely helped that bike which was super lean when I put an Akra exhaust on it and still lean with stock muffler. The one I had made it appear to the ECU (as verified by GS911) that the air temp was very cold, fixed and very cold. My buddy has the same bike and he sent his ECU to Rexxer. His bike is noticeably sharper throttle response and seems to pull harder, also without backfiring on decel. I would recommend in order of decreasing cost/performance: the Ducati up-map that came with the Termi pipe ($$$); the Rexxer map if you can get it, piggyback systems, then temp spoofer. If you're at all handy, you can wire a resistor in place of the stock temp sensor or maybe even replace with a different temp sensor that's biased to not be fixed at one low temp.
P.S. I asked Woolich Racing guys (Woolich Racing - ECU Flashing for Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda, Ducati and Yamaha) if they were going to develop a tuning kit for our MTS bikes like the Panigales. Sadly the answer was "no", it's a different family of ECU. Their stuff is brilliant on my new '16 ZX10R.

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Power commander is an add on device that can be used with essentially any ECU, even a locked one. It basically intercepts the signals from the various sensors (TPS, Injectors, ignition, etc.), modifies them and sends that new data to the ECU....
Quite the reverse.
All inputs remain the same to the ECU.
As an example the PC receives the "start" injecting fuel signal from the ECU and then the duration is what is set in the PC, which could be longer, shorter or no change.

I don't know how the ignition module works if more advance is desired.

Unless things have changed since I last looked at PC, there are ten TP "bands" that PC can be used to apply +/- fuelling. I know from logged data on a 5AM, with 20 TP breakpoints, that there can be lean and rich breaks for adjacent TP breakpoints.
To me this means the fuelling for these breakpoints, adjusted by PC broad brush, do not provide the granularity of 20 breakpoints.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts