Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys I spoke with Dan last week about doing the full suspension setup on my 1198S and have a few questions for those of you who have it.

I am considering doing the revalved front fronks, TTX rear and track link along with 30mm offset triple clamps.

My question is for those that have this setup or most of it is how is the ride qaulity on the street as compared to the stock stuff. I already know the bike with his components will handle awesome, I am more interested in how it will ride in normal street use. Is it stiffer, plusher, taughter etc etc does it absorb bumps better or worse than the stock stuff.

Any info or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Les

I would also like to clarify this post in no way is intended to discredit Dan Kyle (He knows his stuff and is always pleasant to deal with and will answer any question with great detail) I know his products are awesome and work very well for there intended purpose, I am just curious how the setup works on the street.

·
Registered
956 Posts
As I'm learning the hard way, it's one way or the other. With the one way (track) being namable, and the other (street) being not.

I suspect the setup with a good wrench will work perfectly but you'll never be happy on the street as there's no such thing as 'the street' unless you ride the same streets every day and they are all laid out equally or within certain bounderies.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks shawngibson that is what I was afraid of I will certainly be doing some track days and ride aggresively in the canyons when I get chance.

However 90% of my riding is normal street duty and what I am looking for is to make the bike more plush yet have the ability to add some compression and rebound when I get tot he track or canyons.

Les

·
Registered
956 Posts
Thanks shawngibson that is what I was afraid of I will certainly be doing some track days and ride aggresively in the canyons when I get chance.

However 90% of my riding is normal street duty and what I am looking for is to make the bike more plush yet have the ability to add some compression and rebound when I get tot he track or canyons.

Les
Don't put faith in my words, maybe the setup exists, but I haven't found or even read about it, anywhere...It's almost like you need 2 bikes to do this...seriously.

edit: I'm trying to build essentially a race bike for the street, and I know for me the weakest link is the suspension...actually I'm the weakest link, but on the bike, suspension is first!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am just gathering info and opinions on this and I do realize you cant have a perfect setup all the time for all conditions. I also understand this is a sportbike and as such it will never ride like touring bike etc and I am not looking for that. I want the correct springs and dampning setup for my weight etc that will allow me dial in the bike from what I call a comfort setting to a sport setting. What I dont want is to have a setup that even on its softest setting is harsher than the stock stuff.

Les

·
Registered
956 Posts
Definitely talk to Dan Kyle for weight etc. But I think your local shop should be able to figure it out, too, if they are on the ball...you aren't pushing it so go for the 75% of a good setup, that seems to be the general answer on the boards...

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,713 Posts

Les
with the proper adjustments, that Ohlins suspension should work perfectly for you on both the street AND the track. if you only want to track it, and ride it hard, then i could possibly understand the TTX setup.

perhaps this has already been said in other words.

take care

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
with the proper adjustments, that Ohlins suspension should work perfectly for you on both the street AND the track. if you only want to track it, and ride it hard, then i could possibly understand the TTX setup.

perhaps this has already been said in other words.

take care
I do agree with you and yes the stock stuff works very well indeed and that is why I am asking the question. I dont want to turn the bike into a bike that handles like its on rails but will punish you for riding it at slower speeds.

Les

·
Registered
213 Posts
You should be able to get a good track setup to ride comfortably on the street by backing off the compression damping. It won't be a GoldWing, but it won't be bad either.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
hi everyone ,my name is derek and i,m lucky enough to have an 1198s , i weigh 110 kgs so i,m no ballerina. when i first looked into playing with my suspension one person was saying lower the back ,do this do that etc. luckily someone on this forum told me to go dan kyle, short answer go to dan he,s the man. i put the ttx shock [revalved by dan] plus the kyle linkage[sprung to my weight] springs in front. ride is firm but plush if that makes sense. its almost boring to ride at road legal speeds as it handles so well ,best money i ever spent. D

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
sorry loboost , to answer the other half of your question, the 30mm offset triple clamps work fine, great for tight twisty stuff.steering lock doesn,t function with these clamps. for me the improved cornering is worth it. if u have the moola buy em cheers derek.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I've had Dan rebuild revalve the suspension on three of my bikes, 1991 851, 1997 916SPS, 2003 999R and have been very happy with the results. I plan on taking my Desmo there tomorrow. Getting the right springs for your weight and type of riding and having the sag set by someone like Dan Kyle is a must whether you ride on the street or track . Luckily I live within an hour of his shop so I had him set the sag and initial comp/reb settings. After that I made minor changes to the compression and rebound settings as I rode the bikes more. Quality suspension with the right springs for your weight should work equally well for the track or street. Obviously your setting maybe different for a track day/race than street rides.

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
From experience, track days SHOULD be very different from street riding. Sag should not vary much. 22mm to 25mm on a 999r. However, spring stiffness for a track set up is tough on the butt/back.
Reason, you are hammering the throttle on the track and the geometry is keeping the swingarm down and keeping the bike stable. Forks are keeping the front end stable on heavy braking and at high speed. You won't be doing this on the street. You will definately feel the bumps...all of them...
Also, on the street at slower speeds, the bike will be much more difficult to manage in slow corners. The bike will literally fall in to the corners which can be hair raising.

However, the upside (easy turn in, stable, confidance inspriring, is much greater than the downside , highside, lowside, run through corners into barrier!, broken bones & bike and importantly, ruins your track day) with suspension work for the track so just do IT!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts