Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does this stuff really work to balance tires? The sealant capacity is secondary to this particular question.

https://www.ride-on.com/us/about-us/secret-of-ride-on

https://www.ride-onshop.com/Products-Motorcycles.html

I have used it and frankly cannot tell the difference in my ride vibration sensation.

The dyna beads video is impressive and seems to make the case for value add.

I suppose there is a reason this is not standard practice and never used on track or racing tires. Why not?

Is there any real data on this product's claim?

·
Super Moderator
25,918 Posts
I've tried Dyna Beads a couple times. Couldn't feel any improvement. I think a small circumference like that bottle turning a static speed would work a lot better than an 17" diameter wheel turning lots of different speeds.

Counterpoint: My Dad swore by them in his huge motorhome tires. So...what do I know?

I also tried a liquid balancer once. It found moisture and became a solid.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used dyna beads in my last rear tire change. Don't know if it helped or not because I didn't ride the bike between changing the tire and putting in the balancing beads. All I can say is that I don't have any out of balance symptoms and any speed that ive tried.

Regarding the "not for track use", the explanation that I believe the give is that track tires/use will heat the tire to the point that the beads will not be as free flowing as they need to balance properly

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
https://advrider.com/f/threads/dynabeads-this-dynabeads-that.353020/page-11#post-14428237

Hi guys, first of all, I'm new here, so let me introduce myself...Bruce Joelson, live in Johannesburg, been riding bikes for over 50 years, few 'adventure' bikes, mostly road/race, still have a few, had a collection of more than 40 at one stage.

Now, getting on to the subject...first of all you need to know basically 2 things...Newton's Law of Motion (briefly..when there is a force in one direction, there is an equal and opposite force in the other)...all balance machines (except the special Hunter model that cost thousands and is not for bike wheels) DO NOT consider 'road force' because the wheel is balanced in the air without road interference. Also (the rear wheel) once balanced using lead weights, then fitted back onto the bike with the sprocket and chain installed, all the balancing work done is lost !!! Even on those bikes with a shaft drive. You can't check a wheel with the beads in the tyre on a balance machine because there is NO road force !

If you look at the demo video on the website of Dyna Beads (inovative balancing), the connection from the drill to the bottle is flexible. THIS simulates 'road force' very acurately.

Here is a simple (hopefully) explaination of how the beads work (nano seconds expanded into minutes)....imagine a wheel rotating and the heavy spot is at, say, the ten minute before the hour point of a clock. This heavy spot is trying to pull the centre of the wheel outwards. Now, here comes Newton's Law....in the oposite direction, the beads will move towards the lightest point, instantly. This now counteracts that heavy spot and you have equal balance. However, as the wheel turns and that heavy spot hits the road, the force stops and in theory the beads should fall down to this heavy spot. BUT, they don't because of CENTRIFIGAL force, they stay in place. All this happens above about 24 mph. Below this speed no imbalance will be felt even if the tyre is very bad. You can't feel the transition....it all happens in nano seconds. If you hit a pot hole or curb, often the tyre gets bruised and the balance will change, but with Dyna Beads in, they just take up a different position and the wheel stays in balance. You will not feel it happening. Thus they DON"T move around the tyre once they have position. Any extra beads distribute themselves equally around the tyre and will automatically be 'needed' if necessary. As the rubber wears off the tyre in the usual way, so the beads will compensate and keep the wheel in balance ALL the time. Lead weights can't do this.

Also with Dyna Beads, the balance effect is kept at the maximum, as possible, outer diameter of the tyre. Lead weights can't do this !

Dyna Beads will give an average of 30% extra tyre life (on some BMW GS models, double the normal tyre life has been achieved) and there will be no 'cupping' of the tread pattern.

All this is aircraft tech. Many aircraft (including 747's) have Dyna Beads in the tyres. Air Law prohibits weights on the outside of the rim....dangerous !

These beads (made from high density ceramic.....68% harder than glass) don't wear out, do NO damage to the inside of a tyre or tube/the inside of a wheel rim, can be re used over and over. On car tyres (above 65% profile) and big truck tyres...the 40 tonners, use a 2mm bead. Big aircraft tyres too.

The ride is smoother and much more comfortable. Those that have never tried them, do so before criticising......please !

To answer the question as to why (if Dyna Beads are so good) vehicle manufacturers don't use them on original assembly.....it's a simple factor of cost ! Tyre manufacturers don't like them because in the long run it means less sales !!!

Trust I have managed to ease the minds of some sceptics.

·
Registered
884 Posts
What a bunch a hooey. I work in the aviation industry. We don't use dynabeads in tires of the aircraft I deal with. Small stuff like general aviation maybe. Not on heavies.

I also have been "tire guy" at a local cycle shop. I hate dyna beads. Particularly when the owner of the wheel doesn't let the tire guy know the tire is full of them.

Break the bead and demount the tire....dyna beads all over the floor. Oh yeah, they're re-usable. Uh huh. Try to salvage a load of dyna beads out of a tire without taking all the skived off rubber too.

Honestly, you'd be better off putting an equal amount of water in your tire. At least it wouldn't eat away at the rubber inside and leave little balls of it mixed in with the beads.

The term snake oil comes to mind. But hey, if you wanna run them, be my guest. It's your money, your tires and your bike........sean

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
https://advrider.com/f/threads/dynabeads-this-dynabeads-that.353020/page-11#post-14428237

Hi guys, first of all, I'm new here, so let me introduce myself...Bruce Joelson, live in Johannesburg, been riding bikes for over 50 years, few 'adventure' bikes, mostly road/race, still have a few, had a collection of more than 40 at one stage.

Now, getting on to the subject...first of all you need to know basically 2 things...Newton's Law of Motion (briefly..when there is a force in one direction, there is an equal and opposite force in the other)...all balance machines (except the special Hunter model that cost thousands and is not for bike wheels) DO NOT consider 'road force' because the wheel is balanced in the air without road interference. Also (the rear wheel) once balanced using lead weights, then fitted back onto the bike with the sprocket and chain installed, all the balancing work done is lost !!! Even on those bikes with a shaft drive. You can't check a wheel with the beads in the tyre on a balance machine because there is NO road force !

If you look at the demo video on the website of Dyna Beads (inovative balancing), the connection from the drill to the bottle is flexible. THIS simulates 'road force' very acurately.

Here is a simple (hopefully) explaination of how the beads work (nano seconds expanded into minutes)....imagine a wheel rotating and the heavy spot is at, say, the ten minute before the hour point of a clock. This heavy spot is trying to pull the centre of the wheel outwards. Now, here comes Newton's Law....in the oposite direction, the beads will move towards the lightest point, instantly. This now counteracts that heavy spot and you have equal balance. However, as the wheel turns and that heavy spot hits the road, the force stops and in theory the beads should fall down to this heavy spot. BUT, they don't because of CENTRIFIGAL force, they stay in place. All this happens above about 24 mph. Below this speed no imbalance will be felt even if the tyre is very bad. You can't feel the transition....it all happens in nano seconds. If you hit a pot hole or curb, often the tyre gets bruised and the balance will change, but with Dyna Beads in, they just take up a different position and the wheel stays in balance. You will not feel it happening. Thus they DON"T move around the tyre once they have position. Any extra beads distribute themselves equally around the tyre and will automatically be 'needed' if necessary. As the rubber wears off the tyre in the usual way, so the beads will compensate and keep the wheel in balance ALL the time. Lead weights can't do this.

Also with Dyna Beads, the balance effect is kept at the maximum, as possible, outer diameter of the tyre. Lead weights can't do this !

Dyna Beads will give an average of 30% extra tyre life (on some BMW GS models, double the normal tyre life has been achieved) and there will be no 'cupping' of the tread pattern.

All this is aircraft tech. Many aircraft (including 747's) have Dyna Beads in the tyres. Air Law prohibits weights on the outside of the rim....dangerous !

These beads (made from high density ceramic.....68% harder than glass) don't wear out, do NO damage to the inside of a tyre or tube/the inside of a wheel rim, can be re used over and over. On car tyres (above 65% profile) and big truck tyres...the 40 tonners, use a 2mm bead. Big aircraft tyres too.

The ride is smoother and much more comfortable. Those that have never tried them, do so before criticising......please !

To answer the question as to why (if Dyna Beads are so good) vehicle manufacturers don't use them on original assembly.....it's a simple factor of cost ! Tyre manufacturers don't like them because in the long run it means less sales !!!

Trust I have managed to ease the minds of some sceptics.

What a load of doubletalk. "Road Force"? He's fulla s#1t.

The beads only "work" per se, because there's so many of them in the tire that they dampen any unbalance with the excessive weight inside the tire. There's no other way they could work. Beads can't magically move themselves to the opposite side of the tire from where the excess weight is...

A big load of Slime would do the same thing, and help seal the tire from small punctures.

·
Super Moderator
4,633 Posts
A friend of mine swears by balancing beads. I swear at them.

When we change his tires, there's a whole bunch of rubber along with the beads. I don't know about you...but I don't like the idea of rubber being scrapped off the inside of my tires. It's probably not an issue, but I don't like it. Another potential issue is if you get a flat on the road and you use a plug to get you going again. That gooey plug will gather beads and potentially "unbalance" the tire. I suppose the remaining beads will balance out the sticky mass of beads and rubber, but then you have a couple hundred projectiles slapping into your plug. Of course, in the end, there is the mess...beads all over the shop...creating a trip hazard. >:)

I've always used a static balancer and stick-on weights. Never had any issues. Nowadays the weights are steel,...I don't even have to worry about lead poisoning!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am not a physicist, but I have some healthy skepticism about explanations that don't have empirical evidence. Especially, when they are guised up in loosely applied laws of motion.

In the absence of strong evidence, would it not be useful to video tape the top down view of a rotating tin can, apply a proportional amount of imbalance comparable to full size tire, then apply some proportional amount of scaled down beads. Then, spin the can up to various rpms. This could help support some of the explanations if true.

Then, run a rigorous comparison test with real tires with traditional tire weights vs. real tires with beads.

If this can't be done, then I would put it into the "magnetic bracelet" category. May work or may not depending upon the power of suggestion.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not a physicist, but I have some healthy skepticism about explanations that don't have empirical evidence. Especially, when they are guised up in loosely applied laws of motion.

In the absence of strong evidence, would it not be useful to video tape the top down view of a rotating tin can, apply a proportional amount of imbalance comparable to full size tire, then apply some proportional amount of scaled down beads. Then, spin the can up to various rpms. This could help support some of the explanations if true.

Then, run a rigorous comparison test with real tires with traditional tire weights vs. real tires with beads.

If this can't be done, then I would put it into the "magnetic bracelet" category. May work or may not depending upon the power of suggestion.
I agree, evidence is needed, and one would expect there to be some.

This video is the only compelling evidence I have seen that it may work.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have CounterAct beads in the rear tyre of my MTS because, well, I tried them before investing more in the kit to balance a SSSA wheel and have not noticed any ill-effects, aside from the sticky goop still on the wheel from the old weights. The front is balanced the traditional way. I'm unlikely to make the additional investment to balance a SSSA wheel and would use the beads again, I'm also not likely to remove the front and rebalance it now it has 6k miles on the tyre... :wink2:

·
Premium Member
5,562 Posts
I've been using Dynabeads for more than 10 years. They work fine. The technology of using some kind of dry material like the beads or liquids is proven over decades of use in any number of applications from your washing machine drum to heavy truck tires and industrial machinery. Not snake oil. Is it essential in motorcycle tires? Probably not. Not that I would recommend it, but these days you could probably get away with balancing your rim once and just mount the tires. I used to static balance, still have the stuff to do it. You balance a new tire and a few 1000 miles in that tire has worn and the thing isn't balanced like it was when you mounted it. Big deal? No, probably not. I've dealt with uneven wear, cupping and all the rest. Since using the beads, I see almost none of that. The tires are freshly balanced every time you get rolling. Tires have gone to the wear bars and still have a smooth ride and pretty even wear. You may see that with static balancing too, but the beads are easy and effective in my experience.

If I worked at a tire shop, I'd hate them. They are messy to recover. If you didn't know they were there and busted open a tire, not good! I do my own tires and have my own method of recovering them. Yes, there is some rubber residue to clean off. I have enough beads to have a clean batch ready to go. I recover the old beads, but use the beads from the last change to install. Once I'm done, I just take the beads recovered, hose them off with brake cleaner in a mesh strainer and let them dry. The get put away for the next tire change. Takes about as long to do as it took me to static balance. Added bonus is I didn't need to buy the equipment to balance the SSSA rim of the 916 when I put that bike on the road.

Use them or don't, they work and I feel are better in some ways, but they aren't some kind of miraculous improvement over weights. Just another way to balance the tires.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Anecdotally speaking, Ride On sealant balancer works to balance the tires. It really improved the ride of my truck and on my motorcycle trailer wheels.

The hesitation I have with using it on motorcycle tires is that it adds significant weight and I like light wheels more than I worry about vibration on statically balanced wheels.

If I rode a cruiser on the highway, I would probably use it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts