Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've taken off the suspension from my bike for servicing and the Ride Height Adjuster is very 'tight', I understand that this is a common problem, at the moment it's soaking in WD40 but I'm thinking that it will still be tight. I've heard people say that heating it may help free it? any advice on the best way to try this? blowtorch etc?

:)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Aluminum is tricky when it comes to seizing. I would not recommend heating it up because that can change the properties of the metal. Ususally with aluminum it will be softer after it is heated up, even after it cools back down. Also, if you heat it up & try to loosen it you stand a chance of the threads breaking off. A friend told me the way to loosen aluminum fastners is to lightly tap it with a hammer.

·
Super Moderator
8,381 Posts
You might have to heat it abit. I used a regular "heatgun" like you would use to strip paint, that worked for me.
EDIT: Saw the post above.. tapping it with a hammer while trying to turn it might work. You will want to remove it from the bike altogether anyway..

But the stock piece is a POS. You might want to look at an aftermarket piece if your going to be fooling around with the rideheigt (which you probably will, once you start adjusting it). They don´t cost that much and you´ll get some eyecandy aswell as a piece that actually works without taking it apart and greasing it every year.

//amullo

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers, I'm a bit hesitant to use 'real' heat on it, like a blowtorch, but a heatgun shouldn't generate enough heat to do any serious damage so I may try that, I'll try hitting it too, but the corners of the nuts are starting to round off at the moment so I can't try too hard.

The worse that can happen is that I break it, then I'll need to replace it anyway - if that happens any recomendations on a quality (one that won't seize) replacement.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
vtwin said:
I may be stating the obvious here and I am not sure what part you are trying to loosen, but you do know that the other end has left-hand threading?
Well since I've got the thing on the bench and want to be able to adjust (if neccessary) the ride height when back on the bike, I want to loosen both ends and grease it etc and yes I know one end is a left-hander.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't know if this stuff is avaialble in England:

http://www.pbblaster.com/store/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=1

For me, it's never failed to break loose frozen parts.

The problem might be two-fold with these rods getting frozen. One is corrosion, where a penetrant will help. Two, there may be galling of the threads which no penetrant will help getting it apart.

When you get it apart, re-assemble with anti-sieze.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I think there is red lock-tite on that ride hieght adjuster nuts. You may need to use a little heat. I know a lot of people that have broken it trying to get it loose.

If you break it. We have these simple billet aluminum ones:

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=38%7CAluminum%20Billet&productID=3851&showDetail=1&categoryID=39|Ducati%20748%2D998%20Billet&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=168%7CEuropean%20Motorcycle%20Parts

Or these fancy NCR titanium/aluminum units:

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=168%7CEuropean%20Motorcycle%20Parts&productID=3805&showDetail=1&categoryID=625|NCR%20Products&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=168%7CEuropean%20Motorcycle%20Parts

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Th NCR piece is nice but $500 + is a little too rich for me. The billet one looks good too, certainly looks easier to adjust than the stock unit, I presume it uses the end pieces from the stock part?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Duke, I haven't looked real closely at the ride height adjuster, but if the nut won't come loose, tap with a hammer on the nut. You may have to use a punch to do it correctly. It does not have to be a hard hit, just a tap. I believe aluminum will react with itself, so over time the nut & bolt (threads) start to bond together. The light tapping will break this bond. Also, loctite could be thrown in to make it more interesting. As one person mentioned PB Blaster is the s**t. Also, a little heat froma heat gun won't hurt anything. Fire or hotter could! Good luck!

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The wonders of WD-40.....

Well after leaving it soaking in WD-40 all night it came apart OK this morning, with just a few minor scuff marks on the nuts. When I re-fit it I certainly won't be using any loctite, rather some copper grease or similar.

Thanks all for the advice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.