Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a plan to ride around Tasmania after the National Ducati Rally at Jindabyne in early March. My ferry leaves Melbourne on Sunday 5th March, I have 10 days on the Island.
I work with a Tasmanian,and he has given me a rough itinerary.
Leaving Devonport upon arrival in Tasmania I plan to circumnavigate and dissect the island for 10 days.
Destinations include,

Ulverstone
Wynyard
Stanley
Zeehan
Strahan
Queenstown 1st night

Cradle Mountain
Great Lakes
New Norfolk
Hobart
Margate
Bruny Island
Eggs & Bacon Bay
Cygnet
Richmond

Port Arthur
Freycinet
Bicheno
St Helens

Launceston Gorge

Plus any suggestions or other destination worth doing.

Stay tuned.

Craig

·
Registered
280 Posts
You'll love it. I've done Tassie twice on bikes, both times were 10 days long. Your itinerary looks exactly like my last one, so I can't recommend anything else. My last one was about 10 years ago, though, but I doubt anything much has changed down there. Awesome place for riding.

Fair amount of animals out on dusk - try to avoid riding as it's getting dark. I had a couple of close calls.

How are you planning your accommodation? I just camped off the bike - tent, sleeping bags, hiking food, etc. Didn't pay for a single place in the whole 10 days - all free camping.

·
Premium Member
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'll love it. I've done Tassie twice on bikes, both times were 10 days long. Your itinerary looks exactly like my last one, so I can't recommend anything else.

How are you planning your accommodation? I just camped off the bike - tent, sleeping bags, hiking food, etc. Didn't pay for a single place in the whole 10 days - all free camping.
Planning on nothing, but I will have the tent, sleeping bag & mattress with me, so if I can I will try, but I am happy to get a cheap pub room if the weather dictates.
I am going alone so I we see what happens if I meet up with others.

Craig

·
Registered
280 Posts
Planning on nothing, but I will have the tent, sleeping bag & mattress with me, so if I can I will try, but I am happy to get a cheap pub room if the weather dictates.
I am going alone so I we see what happens if I meet up with others.

Craig
I travelled with one other bike on both trips, but met up with riders on the ferry. Helps that you pretty much all load up at the same time at the same place with the bikes... good chance to say g'day to the other riders. Ask around, you'll probably find others doing the same or similar routes that you can join, if you so desire.

Enjoy! I'm jealous now...

·
Premium Member
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those little bastards are the least of our worries, wallabies and Roos are like hairy backed suicide bombers.

Craig

1 - 10 of 10 Posts