Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, SoCal brothers,

I've got a work week scheduled for next week in LA, and I've decided to ride the 996 to your backyard. This is primarily a work focused trip, but I didn't feel like holing up in a hotel every night while the LA roads are right there for the taking. I'm staying in Santa Monica and am interested in meandering over to Mulholland and ACH, if I have enough time left after work each day.

I've got a big stretch of work here at home to complete before leaving, so my mapping time is minimal at best. You guys have any advice as far as best quick routes to enjoy in the evening, say between 5-9pm? I have no qualms about riding back to my spot in the dark, so a venture out beyond 2 hours is not out of the question. Gotta run right now, but I'll check back in hopes of finding some good advice. I will be in LA Monday through Friday, but am looking to get my work done as quickly as possible to get back home sooner, so my goal is at least 2 evenings of ride time.....

Thanks in advance!

DT

·
Registered
101 Posts
No ACH

Okay, SoCal brothers,

I've got a work week scheduled for next week in LA, and I've decided to ride the 996 to your backyard. This is primarily a work focused trip, but I didn't feel like holing up in a hotel every night while the LA roads are right there for the taking. I'm staying in Santa Monica and am interested in meandering over to Mulholland and ACH, if I have enough time left after work each day.

DT
Apparently you haven't heard...ACH is closed due to the 10th largest fire in CA history. No one will be riding there any time soon. And yes, it's making me NUTS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNPTd39jAlM

I am guessing the Ojai and Westside crew can guide you to other worthy roads for your enjoyment. Ciao,
Noelle

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Check out
http://lateralg.org/
or www.pashnit.com
Both sites offer pretty good reviews of roads
The 150 from Carpenteria to Ojai or vice a versa
as well as the 33
These places are Fire-free and less LEO presence.
As you are staying in Santa Monica check out the Italian Bike Night (IBN) put on by Socal DMC every Wednesday
You should Let Luca know you are coming and he can give you pointers for Santa Monica
http://www.facebook.com/socaldmc
or
http://www.socaldmc.com

Careful in Malibu and on the ACH. Mucho Police
Have a nice visit. Maybe I'll see u at the IBN
Cheers
JC

Okay, SoCal brothers,

I've got a big stretch of work here at home to complete before leaving, so my mapping time is minimal at best. You guys have any advice as far as best quick routes to enjoy in the evening, say between 5-9pm? I have no qualms about riding back to my spot in the dark, so a venture out beyond 2 hours is not out of the question. Gotta run right now, but I'll check back in hopes of finding some good advice. I will be in LA Monday through Friday, but am looking to get my work done as quickly as possible to get back home sooner, so my goal is at least 2 evenings of ride time.....

Thanks in advance!

DT

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks esca and JC,

I wanted the locals opinions on roads open or closed, and of course if weekday rides are realistic considering traffic, etc. I do travel to SoCal often, but not enough to know what's really going on. Thanks for the Bike night tip as well, I'm staying just down the street from Rick's, so I will definitely try to check that out.

I still need to get a good set-up for luggage, but I think I'll pack light as possible and just use laundry service for the week. All I really need is a couple Ducati tee's and some good socks, right?

I'll keep checking for any more ride tips or meet-up suggestions, I think it would be cool to meet the locals while there!

Dan T

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Hey Dan
Weekday rides are the best. Less MC traffic especially on PCH and roads to the "Rock Store" and even less traffic on the twisties in Ojai and such
Just be very cautious on the PCH as the LEO presence is high.
Non-Canyon rides are generally visits to the Ducati Dealers, which we have many in SoCal. More Freeway riding but It can be fun.
You may want to email Luca of the SoCal Duc owners and see what he recommends as he is in Santa Monica
[email protected]
Not sure what dates you are here but there is a Classic Vintage swap and show at the ElCamino College on Sept. 19
http://www.classiccycleevents.com/
and
November 1 (Sunday) - “Hansen Dam All British Ride”
Say all british but Italian bike show up in fair numbers

I'm sure there is more so if anyone else has suggetstions please chime in
If I hear about anything else I'll post it up.
cheers
JC

Thanks esca and JC,

I wanted the locals opinions on roads open or closed, and of course if weekday rides are realistic considering traffic, etc. I do travel to SoCal often, but not enough to know what's really going on. Thanks for the Bike night tip as well, I'm staying just down the street from Rick's, so I will definitely try to check that out.

I still need to get a good set-up for luggage, but I think I'll pack light as possible and just use laundry service for the week. All I really need is a couple Ducati tee's and some good socks, right?

I'll keep checking for any more ride tips or meet-up suggestions, I think it would be cool to meet the locals while there!

Dan T

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again, I am scheduled to be there all this week 14-18, but will head back home sooner if I get the work done early. I plan on attending the bike night on Wednesday, but may just show up without warning, as I only have a few minutes to spare before I leave tonight. I'm riding out of Sacramento tonight at 2am and have yet to get packed for the trip. Just finishing some projects before I give the bike an oil change and once-over for safety. Saddlebags are on my Superbike, hopefully no one snaps photos of her looking less than pretty!

Gotta get back to work,

DT

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like no bike night attendance for me, I had to cancel the work due to unsafe/faulty equipment. I was supposed to scale a 26 story building by using the installed house swing stage, which allows access to the outside of the building. Instead, I spent a number of hours stuck in this contraption due to someone else crashing it and not reporting the incident, which led to malfunctions during my operation of said machine - and literally having to find the 'safest' spot to jump out of it to get back on the building from 26 stories up. Not cool.

Never even got a decent ride in, now that really sucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts