Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, when loosening the retainer bolts for the RH handlebar for adjustment to the highest position, the clamp broke next to the bolts on the front side.

Probably it had been tightened too strong, although last time I tightened them it was with the use of a torque wrench, set at the specified torque.

Anybody having had similar problems before?

Anybody any idea where to look for a low cost solution (2nd hand part or after market part) in Western Europe?

For the short term I put a hose clamp around the clamping part of the handle bar in order to get it fixed around the fork tube again. Nevertheless I prefer a more definite and nicer looking solution.

Any contribution more than welcome

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
My right hand bracket broke too. I'm not sure what caused it, it had been in the shop for some time having the fairing painted where the shop scratched it replacing a mirror which they had broken while performing a scheduled service. I don't know if they had loosened and retightened it during all that or not, all I know is that I hadn't touched the thing and all of a sudden it was broken. the shop denied responsibility but meet me sort of in the middle, I bought the part (not cheap) and they mounted it without a labor charge. They did manage to crack the lens on the tach in the process though and would not do anything about that. Needless to say I have found a different shop. To actually respond to you question though, I don't think there are any really cheap solutions, aftermarket risers are available but they aren't cheap either. If there is a skilled welder in you area who has the equipment to weld aluminum that's probably the most economical approach.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My left one broke today I don't know if it was over tightened (kind of hard to think I could with the short end of the allen key). Riding to work and it felt loose I went to check if it was loose and found it cracked. Thanks for the hose clamp idea.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Sorry to hear about the troubles with the bars but I sure hope you are only using the hose clamp just to limp home and not riding every day like that.

Dang Jack, was that the same dealer that wanted a kazillion dollars to rebuild your motor?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Did the clamp actually crack or did the bolt hole(s) threads strip?

If the clamp cracked welding will only distort the clamp. It'll never fit on the fork tube without a lot of stress, that may actually cause it to crack again. I think you'd be better off making two new clamp halves with a 6061 Aluminum.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the clamp actually crack or did the bolt hole(s) threads strip?

If the clamp cracked welding will only distort the clamp. It'll never fit on the fork tube without a lot of stress, that may actually cause it to crack again. I think you'd be better off making two new clamp halves with a 6061 Aluminum.
The clamp broke right next to the bolt holes. That apparently is the thinnest/weakest part.
I'm not planning to ride for years like that, but yes, I think that will be my solution until I found a new riser. That might take a while, I expect.
It feels really stiff, and to make sure it doesn't slide down I also mounted a hose clamp below the riser. So I don't expect big problems on short notice.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
No, different dealer. The handlebar clamp problem was over a year ago. I'm an old fart now though so I don't remember exactly when it was, i'd have to look up the reciepts.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-0...6219199QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Alternatively, you could post in the for sale section that you want to buy some sport classic 1000 MY2007 risers, as I think they are the same part as on the ST. I bought some for my SC for less than $100.

Edit: I take it back, they are not the same part. The S1K bar does not have the locating dowel hole, and has only one bolt for the clamp instead of two.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mine broke right next to the bolt holes also. It is interesting to note that when I looked up the part number online I was redirected to a new part number with the note that the old part had been "Updated". So maybe the factory became aware of the problem and the Lawyers had it "Updated":think:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-0...6219199QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Alternatively, you could post in the for sale section that you want to buy some sport classic 1000 MY2007 risers, as I think they are the same part as on the ST. I bought some for my SC for less than $100.

Edit: I take it back, they are not the same part. The S1K bar does not have the locating dowel hole, and has only one bolt for the clamp instead of two.

Thanks mate,

Just bought it. Never thought of lookin' on eBay. Just visited a Dutch site, but that ofcourse limits the possibilities a little............

1 - 11 of 11 Posts