Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,
I've noticed an interesting anomoly, and wanted to get some experienced feedback. Basically, I just bought a helmet with Bluetooth so I can ride and listen to music from my phone, but when the phone is in my pocket (next to the tank) it gets really choppy.

I did a couple tests where I put the helmet on, turned on music then walked away from the phone (pointed the phone in different directions, just in case there was a blind spot in the bluetooth transmitter and repeated the test a few different times). Every time I could get 20 feet away, typically with a wall between my helmet & phone without the signal dropping out.

But, with the phone 15 inches away in my pocket while riding, I get constant dropouts. If I move the phone to the top of the tank or higher, problem goes away. I believe I'm picking up RFI, and I'm guessing it's from the coils or plug wires. The wires and spark plugs are the originals (bike only has 7,000 miles), so I'm thinking they could be the problem. Any ideas?

For the record, I did a search and couldn't find anyone with a similar problem. Also, not looking for feedback about listening to music while riding! ;)

TIA!

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,652 Posts
Try a different phone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may do that eventually...but for now, I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed any RF interference issues with their ignition systems, or if they have any advice to deal with it (besides replacing my phone).

·
Registered
156 Posts
I thought it was no secret bikes are really bad with RFI. The coils on these bikes are rather exposed too.

Can you put the phone in a chest pocket? Or hang it around your neck? In ear headphones work for me *shrug*

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Tinfoil phone case? :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought it was no secret bikes are really bad with RFI. The coils on these bikes are rather exposed too.

Can you put the phone in a chest pocket? Or hang it around your neck? In ear headphones work for me *shrug*
Thanks, man. Yeah, putting it up higher really seems to work which is why I kind of stumbled on RFI being the cause of the problem. I have a small tank bag, and of course jacket pockets or backpack work. But, for those occasional days where I have my phone in my pants pocket it would be nice to have it "just work". I'm wondering if there's a way to shield the coils or something...or if getting new plug wires and coils would help.

·
Registered
265 Posts
can my old ash be the first to say
the only song I want to hear is desmo magic
and termi speakers
I would not want to pay the tickets I would get
if I had born to be wild in my ear
or I cant drive 55
or any bob segar song

1 - 7 of 7 Posts