Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
The new MV Agusta bikes are doing the down-shift blip too, that's some illustrious company for Wayne's work. ;)
Nemesis.ie how does the downshift blip work or when you say blip , what are you referring to as a blip . Do you just touch gear shifter lightly or what ?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I'll take a stab at it.

Back in the day (about 10 years ago) the poor racers, as I was one of them, shifted without a clutch both up and down. To upshift you simply remove throttle and bang the shifter up/down depending on pattern. Removing throttle caused the transmission gears to "unload" and then it shifted smoothly to the next gear.

To down shift you simply blip the throttle and the transmission will unload and the shifter smoothly catches a lower gear. This is a lot more difficult to master since you usually have a couple of fingers on the brake all the while trying to give the throttle a little gas.

Here is a video:

The good thing about the quickshifter is it timed. Instead of the rider determining the amount of blip on the fly the computer is doing it. Much more predictable results.

Today, on the street I only use the clutch for stopping and starting. 99.9% it is pretty smooth but not always. Also, I can't do full throttle upshifts.

Nemesis.ie how does the downshift blip work or when you say blip , what are you referring to as a blip . Do you just touch gear shifter lightly or what ?

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I'll take a stab at it.

Back in the day (about 10 years ago) the poor racers, as I was one of them, shifted without a clutch both up and down. To upshift you simply remove throttle and bang the shifter up/down depending on pattern. Removing throttle caused the transmission gears to "unload" and then it shifted smoothly to the next gear.

To down shift you simply blip the throttle and the transmission will unload and the shifter smoothly catches a lower gear. This is a lot more difficult to master since you usually have a couple of fingers on the brake all the while trying to give the throttle a little gas.

Here is a video: Quick Riding Tips- Blipping the throttle/ downshifting a motorcycle - YouTube

The good thing about the quickshifter is it timed. Instead of the rider determining the amount of blip on the fly the computer is doing it. Much more predictable results.

Today, on the street I only use the clutch for stopping and starting. 99.9% it is pretty smooth but not always. Also, I can't do full throttle upshifts.
Gotcha ... Thanx man . I thought that that's what ya ll were referring to , but didn't know if the bliping was done at a switch near clutch lever . Yeah timing n rpm gotta be just right to shift thru gears the way you described you do . Sometimes my timings on and sometimes it's not . I'm not much for cruise with tuneboy but the quickshifer kit has got my attention . I'd like it !

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
It just takes practice that's all. I use my index and middle finger in the brake and use the last 2 for the throttle. Guess everyone is a little different. Going down is certainly a lot harder than going up the gears.

I don't use the cruise that much either. I do like the tuning and the quickshifter.

Gotcha ... Thanx man . I thought that that's what ya ll were referring to , but didn't know if the bliping was done at a switch near clutch lever . Yeah timing n rpm gotta be just right to shift thru gears the way you described you do . Sometimes my timings on and sometimes it's not . I'm not much for cruise with tuneboy but the quickshifer kit has got my attention . I'd like it !

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
It just takes practice that's all. I use my index and middle finger in the brake and use the last 2 for the throttle. Guess everyone is a little different. Going down is certainly a lot harder than going up the gears.

I don't use the cruise that much either. I do like the tuning and the quickshifter.
Great Vid. Belgiumexpat. THANKS

·
Registered
167 Posts
The TuneBoy software controls the blip height and duration based on RPM and gear.
It has a table with 6 rows and 24 RPM points for each row.
The values in the table represent the % throttle that the blip should go to.
The second table has a value for the length of the blip.
When the blip time expires the software looks at a third table that tells it another throttle % (much lower like 3%), the throttle drops to this point to reduce engine brake while the revs catch up with the new gear.
A fourth table tells the software how long to hold this second throttle amount.

The amount of blip to shift from 2nd to 1st at 9000 is something like 20% and the after blip throttle hold is a little higher and longer to reduce wheel lock up.

The software allows you to set the amount of pressure required for up shift kill and the amount of pressure for down shift blip.
The pressure for the up shift is much higher than the pressure for the down shift.

Please don't say that RexXer will have QuickShifter code soon. Our lawyers will make sure they do not steal this like they did with the Cruise Control.
You should see RexXer withdrawing the Cruise Control option very soon.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
The TuneBoy software controls the blip height and duration based on RPM and gear.
It has a table with 6 rows and 24 RPM points for each row.
The values in the table represent the % throttle that the blip should go to.
The second table has a value for the length of the blip.
When the blip time expires the software looks at a third table that tells it another throttle % (much lower like 3%), the throttle drops to this point to reduce engine brake while the revs catch up with the new gear.
A fourth table tells the software how long to hold this second throttle amount.

The amount of blip to shift from 2nd to 1st at 9000 is something like 20% and the after blip throttle hold is a little higher and longer to reduce wheel lock up.

The software allows you to set the amount of pressure required for up shift kill and the amount of pressure for down shift blip.
The pressure for the up shift is much higher than the pressure for the down shift.

Please don't say that RexXer will have QuickShifter code soon. Our lawyers will make sure they do not steal this like they did with the Cruise Control.
You should see RexXer withdrawing the Cruise Control option very soon.
Great news, Wayne, on all counts :D

·
Registered
364 Posts
I installed from my MacBook Pro it using VMWare. So - yes, it is comparable but you have to be running Windows on it.

However; I recently found a cheap ($50 shipped) used laptop running Windows XP that I bought just for installing the TB software. It's great as I don't have to deal with Windows on my Mac and for $50 I don't care if I leave it in the garage, or if it fall of the workbench, etc...

Is TuneBoy Apple/Mac compatable?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Thanks for the heads up. I don't have anything with Windows but i might be able to borrow something.

I installed from my MacBook Pro it using VMWare. So - yes, it is comparable but you have to be running Windows on it.

However; I recently found a cheap ($50 shipped) used laptop running Windows XP that I bought just for installing the TB software. It's great as I don't have to deal with Windows on my Mac and for $50 I don't care if I leave it in the garage, or if it fall of the workbench, etc...

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,331 Posts
Is there a particular Tuneboy program I should be getting? All im looking for is the delete of the O2's and maybe the quickshift stuff. Dont mind the CC, what option should I go with?

DUCATI TUNEBOY Advance WiFi _Tuning _KIT + CC

DUCATI TUNEBOY Cruise Control only KIT

Strain Gauge QuickShifter Kit

DUCATI TUNEBOY Cruise Nudge Buttons

T

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
You will need the DUCATI TUNEBOY Advance WiFi _Tuning _KIT + CC for all that. Also, you will need the O2 sensor package if you want to tune. The strain gauge is for the quick shifter (best part of the kit IMHO).

Is there a particular Tuneboy program I should be getting? All im looking for is the delete of the O2's and maybe the quickshift stuff. Dont mind the CC, what option should I go with?

T

·
Registered
602 Posts

T
If you are looking for Tuneboy systems for your Hyper you may want to confirm avalibity for your bike. Why are you inquiring here on the Multistrada forum?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wanted to see if there were any changes of this info (since it has been a few years now)....

I was looking at getting a tuneboy, but the slow (or lack of) customer service seems to be something I keep hearing over and over (from friends and people in the industry). Also, the local Ducati wizard recommended the Rexxer over the TB, not to mention its about $80USD cheaper (not really an issue in the long run). What ever happened with Rexxer and the cruise control issue? Seems like there were some threads about it but never really heard a hard outcome....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all,

Just to let you know that I recently had my bike tuned by Wayne at Tuneboy in Sydney and he did a brilliant job. I have a totally different and much better bike now. It is truly amazing. I have a Leo Vince decat unit and a Termi carbon slipon can.

Wayne dyno'd the bike and loaded an optimised map. After dynoing, he told me that the bike was running so lean down low (you know it!) and he has loaded a map which has fully corrected it. Gone is the low down surging and rough acceleration. The bike is now smooth as silk all the way through the rev range. Plus, according to the dyno report, I've gained an extra 10HP (not that I needed it with the Multi!)

I also had a cruise control fitted and it works like a charm. Easy to activate and very, very accurate. Also had a quickshifter put on it and yeehaa, why did I wait so long for one of these? Simply incredible.

Thoroughly recommended and I am so very happy with everything. If you've been tossing up whether to do this, go for it. You will not be disappointed...

Cheers,

Eddie.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi NSXDRYVER,

Sorry for the late reply... the total cost of the work was $1228.00. That was made up of the following:

Dyno-tune, including cruise control and quick-shifter set-up $650
Quick-shifter $499
Nudge Buttons $79
TOTAL (excludes kit) $1228

If you want the hardware kit, it will cost an extra an extra $399. This allows you to connect the bike and make any adjustments yourself. I don't do that and I couldn't justify another $400 for a box that would sit and gather dust. I can, however use someone else's hardware kit and plug my bike in to make any adjustments should I choose to do so. My ECU is registered with them and it should connect.

Hope that this helps.

Cheers,

Eddie.

·
Premium Member
3,503 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I don't have anything with Windows but i might be able to borrow something.
I bought a cheap acer windows 10 netbook ($120 or something like that) and use it pretty much only for rexxer software.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts