Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Pikes Peak with a MIVV decat and GP slip on plus the airbox mod. Now I want to tune the bike for a complete package. I've been reading about the Rexxer ECU and the Tuneboy but don't know which to go with. I was wondering what are the pros and cons of each and what are most using here? I'm in the states if that makes a difference.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,108 Posts
I stated early on in one of the tuneboy posts , that someone may steal all of Tuneboys hard work and pirate it for their own benefit.
The owner said that it would likely happen , BUT he didn't say anything about the methods of protecting their work!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For me I want to optimize performance I have no interest in the cruise control. I do like the idea of a quick shifter but I'd rather have a well tuned bike.

·
AARP Reject
2,921 Posts
Functionality is definitely better with Tuneboy as you can adapt the tuning to your individual bike. The ReXxer is plug and play, but doesn't crack the ECU.
That's really the big difference I see.

I don't own either, but the preference on the forum seems to overwhelmingly favor Tuneboy. That's anecdotal.

Neither company is a copy of the other purely in respect to the tunes (AFAIK), but the cruise control issue is highly contentious as Wonway's post infers.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Happy customer of Tuneboy. Both the CC and engine tuning are good! Sure look forward to their QS.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Functionality is definitely better with Tuneboy as you can adapt the tuning to your individual bike. The ReXxer is plug and play, but doesn't crack the ECU.
That's really the big difference I see.

I don't own either, but the preference on the forum seems to overwhelmingly favor Tuneboy. That's anecdotal.

Neither company is a copy of the other purely in respect to the tunes (AFAIK), but the cruise control issue is highly contentious as Wonway's post infers.
It's not contentious at all. Rexxer stole TuneBoy's CC software. Also, Rexxer doesn't offer tuning capability.

If you want something you can be sure of, just buy the original.

And from personal experience I can say that TuneBoy's product support is fantastic.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Owned both

Up until 2 hours ago I had Rexxer with Cruise Control. The map was just OK with a lot of popping on decel.

Just got back from a ride after loading TuneBoy with Cruise Control. Smoother fueling, far less popping on decel, and the Cruise Control works exactly as described. And it wasn't stolen, so I feel a lot better about that.

In addition to fine tuning, TuneBoy also allows you to clear the Ducati service reminders if you do your own work. Finally, if the dealership nukes your map as they have mine in the past, you won't have to wrestle the ECU out of the bike and send it out to a Rexxer dealer to have it re-set.

Wish I had gone with TuneBoy from the start as I had on other bikes, but live and learn.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Up until 2 hours ago I had Rexxer with Cruise Control. The map was just OK with a lot of popping on decel.

Just got back from a ride after loading TuneBoy with Cruise Control. Smoother fueling, far less popping on decel, and the Cruise Control works exactly as described. And it wasn't stolen, so I feel a lot better about that.

In addition to fine tuning, TuneBoy also allows you to clear the Ducati service reminders if you do your own work. Finally, if the dealership nukes your map as they have mine in the past, you won't have to wrestle the ECU out of the bike and send it out to a Rexxer dealer to have it re-set.

Wish I had gone with TuneBoy from the start as I had on other bikes, but live and learn.
Well said, mate! :)

·
AARP Reject
2,921 Posts
It's not contentious at all. Rexxer stole TuneBoy's CC software. Also, Rexxer doesn't offer tuning capability.
Nothing changes the fact that it's contentious, regardless that Tuneboy is the party that was wronged. Legal action was threatened and I will assume it's syill going to court? I'd call that contentious!

I'm not up on the latest regarding this battle, but if it's been settled and Tuneboy is the victor (as I expect they are from your post) then agreed: the contention is resolved.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
2013 Tuneboy

Everyone here seems to love the Tuneboy but it is hard to get information.
Their site does not have any 2013 maps and doesn't even list Ducati on its compatibility page.
I have searched here and can't really find the answer i am after.
If I buy a MIVV decat and slip on can I buy a Tuneboy and map for it or do i need to have a professional tuner do a map for me?
There are not many Ducati Tuners in Adelaide South Australia so I was really hoping to get something pre-made to suit the Exhaust and add the cruise control at the same time.

·
Premium Member
12,108 Posts
^^^
boompy!
Just ride around the corner and go see them! They are in Australia aren't they?
Then give us a report!
I'm in the same boat you re in and thinking of getting the upgrades.
Maybe easier to get a hold of them thru here?

·
Premium Member
12,108 Posts
I'm guessing you have never been to Australia it is a bit further than just round the corner
Do you know Craig? he lives in Australia!:D:D:D

Seems the Tuneboy is the way to go for all the bells and whistles , BUT as with many things ,changes are to be expected. Unexpected changes perhaps.
Tuneboy has some people here really liking their set up and they do have some negative issues with customer service, BUT it seems that it all can be worked out (in Most cases)
It may take some finagaling to get it done right.
What could possibly go wrong!?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Everyone here seems to love the Tuneboy but it is hard to get information.
Their site does not have any 2013 maps and doesn't even list Ducati on its compatibility page.
I have searched here and can't really find the answer i am after.
If I buy a MIVV decat and slip on can I buy a Tuneboy and map for it or do i need to have a professional tuner do a map for me?
There are not many Ducati Tuners in Adelaide South Australia so I was really hoping to get something pre-made to suit the Exhaust and add the cruise control at the same time.
Tuneboy comes with a preloaded MIVV map which is what I am running. Obviously a dyno tune utilising the TB software and hardware for your particular bike is the best course of action but the preloaded map is a significant improvement over stock.

You won't regret getting the TB set up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've had both tunes, initially a Rexxer and then I went to Tuneboy for the added CC.

Two different bikes! Rexxer was better than std, but Tuneboy a lot smoother overall.

I've emailed Tuneboy with some minor issues and only ever had great response.

I'll admit I did not do the tuning as I had Tuneboy recommended dyno tuning shop tune on the dyno.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
This may help ...

Everyone here seems to love the Tuneboy but it is hard to get information. Their site does not have any 2013 maps and doesn't even list Ducati on its compatibility page. I have searched here and can't really find the answer i am after. If I buy a MIVV decat and slip on can I buy a Tuneboy and map for it or do i need to have a professional tuner do a map for me? There are not many Ducati Tuners in Adelaide South Australia so I was really hoping to get something pre-made to suit the Exhaust and add the cruise control at the same time.
On Tuneboy's "Buy Now" page, you specify your bike and the product you wish to order for it. If you order the DUCATI TUNEBOY Advance WiFi _Tuning _KIT + CC, you will receive a map/Flash software on a CD. This map eliminates the O2 sensors and the exhaust flapper. It works very well with my LV decat and slip-on, and I have no reason (or time, frankly) to fine tune it further, but you can if you wish. It will work very well with a MIVV decat and slip as well.

Yeah, their website and manuals may be a little rough/not in perfect order, but if you read through all of it first, the install will go OK. (Heck, if I got it right on the first try, anyone can.) 2 things I would emphasize before you order ...
1. Remember, it's a Windows based program. The Mac version is on the way, but it's not here yet.
2. Don't freak out if the install screens don't appear/pop up exactly or immediately like the manual that is included on the CD. It's not a super slick install and you may have to re-open a screen or two, but it's all there and it all works.

Hope that helps, and absolutely no regrets here.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts