Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To not jack another thread, this post by SBKI serves as a good segue into a conversation about reworking preload-adjustable only ST3 forks. (Will not apply to the 2006 ST3S, which is supposed to have fully adjustable forks). SBKI's original post was here. To help keep the information clear, please try to limit the discussion in this thread to ST3-related issues.

SBKI said:
Sperho- Lots of talk about your forks on here.
You can tell I'm wringing my hands on this one, huh? :)

First off Racetech is not a bad company like anywhere else you half to talk to the right guy.
I've heard lots of good things about Racetech which is why I called them. You are right, though, it does take talking to the right person - guess I don't know who that is...

A couple of things can improve your forks greatly. First your seals can leak do to age and mileage and are simple to replace, just always replace with N.O.K. seals, Available threw aftermarket or Ducati. Then your springs are to soft and you need to upgrade to a heavier spring rate. The best way to find out which spring is correct is check your sag. Most people look completely over sag and just chase their tail because of it.
You are correct here - even for my on-the-light-side-of-average weight of 160lbs, I still have to set my preload to nearly max turns in to get a 33% full stroke sag.

Over time your oil also breaks down. Showa is trying to save money ($5 a liter compared to $25)so they only use adequate fork oil not the best.
Good point - I'll put some quality stuff in when I change out the springs. Any recommendations?

Then we turn to valving. Yes, it can get expensive and racetech seems to have a lower price on valve kits compared to other brands. Goldvalve kits only address compression. Other kits like the Ohlins address compression and rebound together. That is why it is twice the price.
Good to know and is consistent with my conversation with GP Suspension.

Start with seals, oil and springs. That you can do yourself with the right tools or cheap to send them out and let someone do them. If after that you want valving then budget for it. Also don't be afraid to try different spring rates. We provide spring swap service for customers if we do their forks. If we did your forks and your sag number wasn't correct afterwards then just send them back and we will change the rate at no charge.
Thanks for the heads up...

S

·
0 Posts
Good talking to you Sperho. I hope that everything works out for you and your ST3. Feel free to call me anytime.-Ken

1 - 3 of 3 Posts