Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
No need to clarify Dr. , I fully understand where u are coming from... As you mentioned most of these reviews really aren’t much more than regurgitating the manufacturer’s spec sheets, book ended by some catchy sentences with fancy adjectives they looked up in the thesaurus...

also aforementioned there are a few reviewers that are pretty good like 44teeth, MCN, Etc. I used to really enjoy Zack Courts and Ari Henning currently on Throttle Out ( Motor Trend tv) when they used to review bikes More... the new show is kind of a motorcycle themed spin off of Top Gear. Still very entertaining but not a lot of reviews anymore...

I have always found myself gravitating to the UK mags as they always came across as the most believable with little to no influence from the manufacturers... I have to say YouTube has definitely added to the entertainment value for me.. I can’t stand the content of TV, Cable, Satellite where you pay for all these channels that u never watch mixed in with a few channels you rarely watch for a crazy monthly fee... ridiculous.. no thanks.. At least YouTube you search for the content you want to see when u want to see it...

·
Bon Vivant
10,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Flynnbulldog, I was just thinking. Don't you also own a Tuono? I've never ridden that one either but am in love with it and would probably take it over either SF. Which one would you rather ride with us down the Dragon? Or the Cherohola?
You already know the answer to that. How many times have you seen my streetfighter with me at ECM?

(zero)

·
Bon Vivant
10,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Duckman if you think the old streetfighter would be over the top for you then the new one is gonna be worse - the new bike revs to 14K and most of the power is past 9 grand! Are you gonna ride around at 9000 RPM to be in the powerband? If not, you're just not using any of the bike's potential. Might as well be on 796 Monster...

Now, I know that you are perfectly capable of handling either of these bikes, but I also know that you have recently gravitated toward low HP lightwieght bikes that can turn quickly and hold speed in the corners. That is the other side of the universe from the way these bikes work. Both of these bikes are ridiculously fast and violent. Relative to what you are riding these bikes are point and shoot.

I used to like to scare myself half to death on these things, I'm not so sure I wanna do that anymore.

I'd like to get a new bike this year but nothing is really calling to me and with all this virus crap I'm not going out and looking...

·
Registered
624 Posts
Duckman if you think the old streetfighter would be over the top for you then the new one is gonna be worse - the new bike revs to 14K and most of the power is past 9 grand! Are you gonna ride around at 9000 RPM to be in the powerband? If not, you're just not using any of the bike's potential. Might as well be on 796 Monster...

Now, I know that you are perfectly capable of handling either of these bikes, but I also know that you have recently gravitated toward low HP lightwieght bikes that can turn quickly and hold speed in the corners. That is the other side of the universe from the way these bikes work. Both of these bikes are ridiculously fast and violent. Relative to what you are riding these bikes are point and shoot.

I used to like to scare myself half to death on these things, I'm not so sure I wanna do that anymore.

I'd like to get a new bike this year but nothing is really calling to me and with all this virus crap I'm not going out and looking...
this is why I love my Superduke 1290, when you look at dyno charts there is nothing close in torque and horsepower up until its redline of 9,500. This is mostly all useable power on the street. Yes the V4 SF will continue to build power after the SD falls off but I rarely ride above 9.5k rpms. in my opinion 5k - 9k is the bulk of where street riding is done, when I look at a Dyno chart I look for the power in that range.

·
Bon Vivant
10,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
This is a follow up from Michael Neeves of MCN. Again, Neeves is the moto journalist who I trust the most and his talent, honesty, and experience are what makes his reviews have more weight and meaning than all the rest of the journalists out there for me. I know that his opinions are relevant to my own riding style and needs/desires in a motorcycle so I listen to his findings and know that I would probably feel the same way.

At about 12.22 he talks about the anit-wheelie measures and decreasing torque maps, for some of you those things are just the ticket but these features of the bike are what kills it for me, I still want to ride it if I ever get a chance but I dont think its a bike I would really get a kick out of...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah, Neeves is a really good reviewer. Interesting comments on his follow-up video.

Unfortunately, these videos aren't making the decision of whether to buy any easier. On the one hand this seems like a really premium, exclusive product, which is great. But on the other hand it seems like a lot of people are questioning the design.

Vanduc996 said:
From everything that I'm hearing about this bike it doesn't really make much sense to me It doesn't have that traditional naked hooliganism that you want on the street at street speeds, and then once it really gets going, in other words at track speeds, don't you want a fairing on the bloody thing?!! I mean, I suppose if you find clip ons uncomfortable on the street and need the handle bar then sure buy the SF over the Panigale. But that would only be if you had to have a Ducati..

IMO, KTM's recipe with the new SD1290 is the way to go for a naked on the street, or the mt10, or the Tuono.... I'm a Ducati guy, but I really think Ducati got it wrong with this one
Tuyen Hoang said:
The SFv4 is a bit odd. Can’t be as fast as the panigale, can’t be as wild on the torque and wheelie as other supernaked. Really middle of the road and not refined imo. With that money i may trade my tuono for the pani v4 instead.
damansbedi said:
We have a streetfighter that doesn't even wheelie.... I am a ducati guy but this just isn't working for me. I hope the panigale v4 is more fun otherwise we are better off buying 1299 or Tuono/super duke (new one).
David Kuhn said:
Streetfighter's are SUPPOSED to be angry! ;-) I'm a Ducati guy but I'm pretty sure the Super Duke R is probably the right SF for someone who's looking for a street... fighter (someone like me who's too far from a track to have that 'safe' outlet for a bike that can get your license revoked in first gear)... but I still want the SFv4s.

IMO Ducati is doing a nice safe thing throttling torque in 1,2, and 3rd gears... but they should have a "shenanigans" mode that dials that safety margin back for those of us who like to have a bit more lively experience.

·
Registered
784 Posts
At about 12.22 he talks about the anit-wheelie measures and decreasing torque maps, for some of you those things are just the ticket but these features of the bike are what kills it for me, I still want to ride it if I ever get a chance but I dont think its a bike I would really get a kick out of...
I have read this could be disabled somewhere deeper in the menus? Can't remember where.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Does anyone think because of Carlin Dunnes death on the bike they had to put all these features on it to prevent the average rider from getting in over their heads? Like you released a bike on the market after its kills a professional ride? I just wonder if they did because of potential lawsuits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I was quoted above from the MCN Neeves review..
The context that should be added is that I'm a traditional sportbike guy at heart, and start to question more and more the relevance of a sporting motorcycle without a proper fairing the more the horsepower and ultimate speed increases.
In other words, a two valved, super torquey low down in the rev range Monster makes perfect sense to me as a perfect road bike. Imo KTM has taken this philosophy to it's absolute extremes with it 1290 SD. Would I buy that bike? Probably not. It's just a bit too crazy for me. I ride 130 hp/80ft/lbs tq dinosaur of a 996. The 170hp and over 100ft/lbs tq of the 1290 SD is just insane to me. But where that bike is making that insane power compared to the SFv4 makes sense to me, in a twisted logical kind of way. Like i said, a MONSTER Monster if you will...
But a SFv4 is basically a Panigale v4 without a fairing, and where a bike like that comes into it's own power wise, you absolutely want a fairing, and probably a set of clip ons as well

Also, I was wondering the EXACT same thing CHIEFBATLAX was bringing up in his post above.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Does anyone think because of Carlin Dunnes death on the bike they had to put all these features on it to prevent the average rider from getting in over their heads? Like you
I have to believe that entered into the calculus to some degree. This bike feels like it's doomed. This bike has had a rash of bad luck between Carlin's death, a mid 100+ year pandemic production launch, and frankly what I perceive to be fairly mediocre reviews in a time where anything less than a stellar review is rare. The world economic picture doesn't bode well for a come-back either.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
I have to believe that entered into the calculus to some degree. This bike feels like it's doomed. This bike has had a rash of bad luck between Carlin's death, a mid 100+ year pandemic production launch, and frankly what I perceive to be fairly mediocre reviews in a time where anything less than a stellar review is rare. The world economic picture doesn't bode well for a come-back either.
Well, everyone I know who has one doesn’t just like it - they LOVE it - and in the US at least, there are deposits to last through July. And that’s in pandemic times.

I don’t know what’s going to happen in a year when the people who this bike was built for already have one but I would say that it’s been a very fruitful endeavor thus far.

Furthermore, I honestly think Carlin would be quite happy to see its reception and hopefully would be quite proud of what he helped develop.

I guess I don’t see the doom and gloom. But that’s just me.

·
Bon Vivant
10,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
People that jump on a bandwagon and buy a bike without even seeing one in person much less a test are going to love it no matter what the reality is - that's just human nature. And "deposits through july" for a bike that has only had a single worldwide shipment and a closed factory for 8 weeks isnt really saying much. I'm not trying espouse doom and gloom, I just think the bike is a disappointment for some of us. I really wanted to love this bike.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
People that jump on a bandwagon and buy a bike without even seeing one in person much less a test are going to love it no matter what the reality is - that's just human nature.
Exactly, myself included. I've never gotten a new bike (motorized or pedal) and not loved it immediately.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Agreed... same here.. I have had a few bikes that when the honeymoon period was over though it had to go... lol

61 - 75 of 75 Posts