Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally the press has a gotten a chance to ride the bike.
This is Michael Neeves. IMO he is the last word on sport bikes. I find his reviews to be complete and concise and very well reasoned. I dont think his reviews are walking the corporate line, I think they are honest and from the heart.
I've been looking forward to some first hand ride opinions.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,072 Posts
This bike looks awesome. I think Ducati hit this one right out of the park. Whew. If I were only 59 years younger. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
53 Posts
I’ve enjoyed his reviews over the years. You can tell he’s a fan of motorcycles. His way of explaining things gives you a good idea of what it must of felt like to ride what he was riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks for sharing the video. As great as the technical and performance abilities of the V4 are, aesthetically I prefer the 1098 SFS. Its just my opinion and I feel very lucky to have one.

·
Bon Vivant
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I was smart I'd just be happy that I have both the Tuono factory and a bitchen SF 1098S. Both are better looking than this new bug bike, but I'm oddly drawn to this thing and I cant really get my head around why. I'm very curious if the handling is improved over the old bike and I suspect it is, but can I really cozy up to such a nasty mess of metal and plastic?

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
This seems to be a bike where your brain says "this thing is awesome" but you're heart really isn't feeling it. Even watching Michael Neeves, he was saying "I love this bike" but I didn't feel like he looked like he loved it. The plastic front fender and wings seems a little budget for such a Gucci bike. Does it materially impact it's capability...no. Would I feel good about dropping $25k on it...no.

·
19,072 Posts
Just a little CF wrap on the silver radiator and muffler shroud would do it for me. I like it better than the old SF. On the older model I could never get around how the exhaust looked like it weighed 300 lbs.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think I feel the same about the looks and lack of premium materials for the price. But I’m buying mine for the riding experience. My brother has the super duke r, my buddy has the tuono factory, and I have a 748 and a hyper 1100. I have been waiting for this bike since the v4 pani was launched. I can change up the look and materials slowly overtime if I’m in love with the bike.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I’ll admit, he didn’t seem smitten. I’ve seen him more excited when reviewing the MV Agusta F4....

·
Bon Vivant
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a little CF wrap on the silver radiator and muffler shroud would do it for me. I like it better than the old SF. On the older model I could never get around how the exhaust looked like it weighed 300 lbs.

yeah, except the exhaust on this new bike looks like a 500 lb tumor...

·
19,072 Posts
I agree. It could use a nicer looking piece but I still find it less offensive than the older stock setup. Maybe because it’s more centralized it doesn’t give the bike such an unbalanced look.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Good review, I thought i would keep my 1200R longer but the new V4 sounds great around town then i can open it up when outa the city. Seriously will consider it when we get a few.

My 3 gripes with old model snatchy in stop
and go traffic, handling took more effort to drop into corners, and my berries hitting the gas tank constantly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
One of the most surprising aspects of the bike for me was seeing Neeves riding it and how high and wide the bars looked. It wasnt as aggressive as I thought it would be, position wise. I think thats great. Hard to tell without a real comparison/sitting on them both, but seems more upright than the Tuono.

·
Bon Vivant
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did get a chance to sit on it and it is very comfortable, you do still lean forward but it's not what I would call aggressive. It is more upright than the current streetfighter and about the same as my Tuono with a 1/2" lift under the bar clamps. This is what I wrote the day after I went to the release party: It felt much closer to the 2019 monster 1200 than the old SFS. The handle bars are wide and reasonably tall giving you a mild forward lean.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I do enjoy how concise he tries to be. I now want to test ride one. Was hoping to see one in person before riding season arrived.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for that. It’s good to hear as who wants a street bike with bars that feel slightly higher than clip-ons? I have an RSV4 for the track and I would absolutely hate it anywhere except some canyon carving scenario. Uncomfortable and turning radius is abysmal.
this bike looks like a lot of fun!
I did get a chance to sit on it and it is very comfortable, you do still lean forward but it's not what I would call aggressive. It is more upright than the current streetfighter and about the same as my Tuono with a 1/2" lift under the bar clamps. This is what I wrote the day after I went to the release party: It felt much closer to the 2019 monster 1200 than the old SFS. The handle bars are wide and reasonably tall giving you a mild forward lean.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The presentation video confirms Neeves' thoughts on how it does not wheelie like you would think. I get tuning it for the wheelie limit but give the owner an option for full power all the time.

·
Bon Vivant
10,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The presentation video confirms Neeves' thoughts on how it does not wheelie like you would think. I get tuning it for the wheelie limit but give the owner an option for full power all the time.
yeah, I'm not too fond of all the torque limiting going on. The reality is the bike only has full torque and HP in 6th gear - the rest of the time it falls quite short of the advertised numbers.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts