Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been waiting a few months to post this.

Backstory:

I wanted some grippier, sportier footpegs for my multi, and after looking around I settled on the Gilles California Superbike School footpegs (CSS uses them on their S1000RRs). My main desires were width, length, and a downward sloping end on the footpegs. Rizoma and Gille's other multi options didn't appeal to me. Because Gilles is located in Germany and I'm in California (about 1.5hrs from the CSS office), I called CSS up and they transferred me over to Dylan Code. He recommended ordering the adapter for my bike before ordering the footpegs themselves. Unfortunately, I'd have to order the adaptors from Gilles directly, and they are made-to-order, meaning a decent lead time (1-2 months) and crazy shipping costs. I ordered the adapter, the ones specific to the 15-17 multi are in the picture below. In mid-April, the adapters arrived at my door. After confirming they fit my bike, I called CSS up and ordered the footpegs--which they keep in stock with their travelling school. They shipped them out from New Jersey to me via 2 day shipping.

Review:

The Good
There are quite a few benefits I've found in these footpegs. First, they are adjustable rotationally, so you can angle the grip forward (sporty) or horizontal-flat (touring). Gilles also sells extenders that can move the footpeg 20mm out from the center mount point, but I didn't get these. As you can see in the pictures, they are very meaty footpegs, and the wide, downward angled end gives an enormous amount of grip when turning your hips into the corner. I was concerned that there would be a fair amount of vibration through the footpegs, but surprisingly there is very very little, and not noticeable at speed. No tingles, no lactic acid build up, no early fatigue in my feet. Finally, I think they look great. The CSS etching on the back of the pegs is a nice touch. The build quality overall is laser precise and top notch work. The footpegs (not including adapters) are very reasonably priced ($175 USD).

The Bad
I was a tad nervous that the adapters wouldn't be the correct one, and I'd have to wait another couple months to get correct ones. I can confidently say the ones I ordered fit the bike perfectly. The adapters themselves are cheap ($30ish USD), but shipping costs are ridiculous ($80 USD) for something so small and light.

The Ugly
Now that I have them on, I really want to order the Gilles shifter and rear brake that are discussed in another thread here, as the nasty stock gray pieces are just plain ugly next to these pegs. Maybe I'll wait 'till Father's Day so I don't piss off the wife too much.

Overall:
I'd give these an 8/10, only losing points for the massive lead time and exorbitant shipping cost for the adapters from Gilles. The fit and finish are perfect, and the design is perfectly executed. Sooner or later I'll get this beast to a track and really test them out.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ive been looking at these as well. I actually bought front and rear gilles touring pegs a while back and didn't like them and sold them. I really like what I'm seeing here. Think Im going to order these with the gilles rear brake and shift levers. How grippy are these pegs once your boots are wet? They bite pretty good? How do they feel in a standing position.

I've got an email in to shift tech carbon to see if they can carry these on their website for us.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive been looking at these as well. I actually bought front and rear gilles touring pegs a while back and didn't like them and sold them. I really like what I'm seeing here. Think Im going to order these with the gilles rear brake and shift levers. How grippy are these pegs once your boots are wet? They bite pretty good? How do they feel in a standing position.

I've got an email in to shift tech carbon to see if they can carry these on their website for us.
Wet (not muddy) I haven't had an issue, both in riding boots (dainese torque pro-in), and work boots. Standing is just as easy as stock pegs, though you'll feel more through your feet than through stock ones with the rubbers inserted. I'm at ~1,000 miles on them and love them.

Regarding stocking at shift-tech, you need them to stock the adapter too, as that's what's going to run up the cost (ordering direct from Gilles in europe). I see the RGK-680 listed in the product title, but you might want to ask them to clearly state in the product description that whether or not the adapters (RGK-680) actually come with the footpegs for the price they have listed.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Wet (not muddy) I haven't had an issue, both in riding boots (dainese torque pro-in), and work boots. Standing is just as easy as stock pegs, though you'll feel more through your feet than through stock ones with the rubbers inserted. I'm at ~1,000 miles on them and love them.

Regarding stocking at shift-tech, you need them to stock the adapter too, as that's what's going to run up the cost (ordering direct from Gilles in europe). I see the RGK-680 listed in the product title, but you might want to ask them to clearly state in the product description that whether or not the adapters (RGK-680) actually come with the footpegs for the price they have listed.
From my understanding the $200 on shift tech gets you the gilles kit. Listed on shift tech as "RGK-680-UF23-SET-B". Basically both the boxes you had together in one kit for the multi. Im pretty sure.

Here is the link to that product code on the shiftech site. Turning joints included it looks like. Shift tech orders so much stuff from them I think theyre able to get better deals.
https://www.gillestooling.com/products/footcontrols/rgk2-turning-joints/2731/california-foot-peg-set-driver-black

EDIT: Finally went ahead and ordered these up lol. I've considered them long enough. Should go well with the gilles shift and brake lever I already ordered. Also, they were only $179 with the forum discount on shifttech. Score!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice! Much cheaper than ordering direct and paying shipping, I hope you don't have to wait as long as I did!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ok, I drank the cool aid too and just ordered the pegs and pedals from shiftech, they looks really nice. Any info on how to get the “forum discount “ they don's seem to know about that ?

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts

Yes it's the complete kit, adapters & pegs just as pictured and we have ordered a few extra kit's to have on the shelf if you all want to buy some:wink2: all on order with Gilles and here by end of July give or take a few days as Gilles is currently making more of them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it's the complete kit, adapters & pegs just as pictured and we have ordered a few extra kit's to have on the shelf if you all want to buy some:wink2: all on order with Gilles and here by end of July give or take a few days as Gilles is currently making more of them.
That's great news!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts