Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Wondering if any 916/996/998 or 748 owners have reverse/GP shifting (1up, 5 down) on their bikes? My track bike has it, but I'm wondering if it's possible on 998's. I took a look at the transmission shifter and it looks like you can reverse the linkage, but I'm not sure if there's enough room if I flip the shifter.

If anyone has done this, please respond so I know it is possible, thanks!

Cheers.

·
Registered
173 Posts
just a matter of getting a shifter. there are some on ebay. unless you are trying to reverse the stock one. Its rather cheap though.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yup

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myproducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=1401%7C748%2F916%2F996%2F998%20Controls&productID=4330&showDetail=1&categoryID=1383|748%2F916%2F996%2F998%20Foot%20Controls&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=168%7CEuropean%20Motorcycle%20Parts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just a matter of getting a shifter. there are some on ebay. unless you are trying to reverse the stock one. Its rather cheap though.
Can I just use the stock one? I'm not sure why I would need a new shifter.

(Background: my track bike is a jap squiddly bike, and I was able to just flip the linkage on the transmission 180 degrees. I'm wondering if that will work for 998, because by eyeballing it doesn't seem like enough room around the engine to just flip the linkage 180 degrees, so I'm wondering if anyone has in fact done it to confirm it can be done.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll give it a shot to see what happens, I just happen to be at my computer on this forum and not in the garage so I thought I could get my answer here.

Plus, I was hoping to get a confirmation before I tamper with my shifter linkage settings... it was a pain to get them dialed into the correct length and height adjustment. off to the garage...

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Let me chime in here and aswer the ACTUAL QUESTION asked by the OP...

YES. You can flip the stock shifter quite easily to make it GP-shift. I don't have a pic handy at the moment, but make sure the offset is outboard, and it's advisable to use a slightly longer allen screw with about a 6-8 mm spacer to keep the link rod straight.

Here's a VERY basic diagram I whipped up to show you the order of parts (as viewed from the rear looking foward). Should be self-explanatory...

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'll give it a shot to see what happens, I just happen to be at my computer on this forum and not in the garage so I thought I could get my answer here.

Plus, I was hoping to get a confirmation before I tamper with my shifter linkage settings... it was a pain to get them dialed into the correct length and height adjustment. off to the garage...
your gonna have to do that again anyway, the shift rod needs to be longer to do it (on most Ducs I've done it on) so your going to have to adjust everything again. The only possible things to stop you are the arm coming off the shaft not having enough clearance to fully "click" at full 180 degrees from the original position or the shift rod not being long enough to reach. This can usually be made up for with adjusting the shift rod but your individual results may vary...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for your feedback.. back from the garage and just sharing for future reference in case anyone searches..

AZ Scott, I think you understand what I was trying to ask, sorry for my poor phrasing of words. Thanks for the diagram and input. After fooling with it a couple hours, I tried a few different configurations that didn't work. The ONE that I didn't try was your diagram with the shift linkage holder outward. I did find that this configuration will require a longer screw to accommodate the spacer so something I will have to pick up tomorrow. So, to answer original question, it can be done using the diagram from AZ Scott's post without any additional parts except for a longer allen screw, just FYI for other 998 owners.

(Woodyracing, not sure about other Ducs no experience there, but for the 998 I actually have to shorten the rod. Mainly because I cannot fully flip the arm 180 degrees as you mentioned, only about 140 degrees so the arm is actually closer to the rearset)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts