Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new member, etc. Years ago I rode motorcycles, a crappy suzki, a Honda 750, a Triumph Tiger, a BMW boxer and finally a 1980 Ducati 900SS with all the usual add ons. I miss it terribly. So now after all these years I am prepping to buy another motorcycle and it IS going to be a Ducati. I haven't kept up I'm afraid so I'm looking for input on what to get. My budget is up to $10k and I'm a bit enamored of the Monsters. I like the visible frame and engine. I'm not looking for a fully fared bike. I'd like to be able to see the engine and frame so a minimal (or no) faring is what's wanted. Also maybe a bit more comfortable of a riding position than my SS would be good. I see that there are 2 valve and 4 valve versions of the monster, etc. Can any of you frequent posters and pundits point me towards particularly good threasds or offer some good advice for a middle aged rider returning to the fold? I want sporty, I want reasonable performance but I'm not nec. looking to impress anyonne. I just want a throaty, elemental, big twin to cruise the canyons on and take the wife for the occasional ride. Oh, and sometimes go stupidly fast on.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
At Ducati.MS each model has its own forum. You can start browsing the forums of the models which interest you. Also check the Rides forum to see what members are using for road trips of varying distances.

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
Middle age Huh ,,So your about 50 to 60 ... This is the fun part deciding which one ,,Usually one will Speak to you ,love at first sight thing. Spend lots of time be realistic about what kind of riding you are going to do and how much,, I suggest going to a dealer and take a long hard look , They all have their strong points , Whats your Idea of fun? cornering , flat out burst of speed ,long leisurely cruise,,

Money should be no object right? Used or new? Seems like there are lots of deals out there,

Going to do your own Maintenance or do you need a Dealer ? That can be a cruitial part of the equasion ...

Remember to enjoy the process ,of buying take your time and be ready to pounce on the deal if it suits you ...Buyers market ,watch the shifty salesmen,,,, you have the upper hand

Lots of good info here Use it ,, Ask questions , here there are a lot of friendlies who are glad to help out

Good Luck on your intelligent decision...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Middle age Huh ,,So your about 50 to 60 ... This is the fun part deciding which one ,,Usually one will Speak to you ,love at first sight thing. Spend lots of time be realistic about what kind of riding you are going to do and how much,, I suggest going to a dealer and take a long hard look , They all have their strong points , Whats your Idea of fun? cornering , flat out burst of speed ,long leisurely cruise,,

Money should be no object right? Used or new? Seems like there are lots of deals out there,

Going to do your own Maintenance or do you need a Dealer ? That can be a cruitial part of the equasion ...

Remember to enjoy the process ,of buying take your time and be ready to pounce on the deal if it suits you ...Buyers market ,watch the shifty salesmen,,,, you have the upper hand

Lots of good info here Use it ,, Ask questions , here there are a lot of friendlies who are glad to help out

Good Luck on your intelligent decision...
In this case "middle aged" means 50. Fun is a twisty canyon road but I'd like something a bit more comfortable than my 1980 900ss. I LOVED that bike and wish I still had it but one didn't sit still on it for too long so I'd like something I could travel on a little more comfortably. I'm thinking used as I'm hoping to keep it under $10K. Just took a look at the S4RS, what a beautiful motorcycle. Also I live in the middle of nowhere so will have to do a great deal of driving to find the right bike. I'm planning on doing my own maintenance as well although I might turn a total rebuild over to a pro. Thanks for all the suggestions. Any recommendations on a good dealership in either LA, Las Vegas, Reno or Sacramento? These are my closest real cities.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Lots of guys in our age group like the ST series and the Multistrada. They are both very versitile bikes. Check out the ST and MS forums for details and the Rides forum for trip photos.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lots of guys in our age group like the ST series and the Multistrada. They are both very versitile bikes. Check out the ST and MS forums for details and the Rides forum for trip photos.
Thanks Bill, so far I'm afraid that I'm most drawn to the Monsters. Particularly the S4RS Tricolore. Things may change after a test ride though. In the end its all about the ride. But I do like a pretty motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Note: the service $$ and frequency goes up a bit with the 4 valve water cooled engines (along with HP to) so pick your poison.
S2r are the 2 valve bikes (below 100 hp) and the S4R are all well over 100hp..

·
Alaska Born Tsimshian
379 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Note: the service $$ and frequency goes up a bit with the 4 valve water cooled engines (along with HP to) so pick your poison.
S2r are the 2 valve bikes (below 100 hp) and the S4R are all well over 100hp..
Do these bikes require any or many special tools to service and repair? I used to do the valve adjust on my Desmo myself and have worked as a motorcycle mechanic (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki), and and auto mechanic (German, Japanese and a little bit of exotic) so am pretty handy with a wrench. I remember valve adjustment on some engines requires special bits but they weren't too expensive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thoughts!

So I'm looking for some input here. I'm thinking that after 20 years of not riding that it would be maybe a little foolish to jump on a 130hp machine that some have described as "brutish", etc, etc. Also the budget suggests something less than the $12K that one would need to pony up for a S4RS, although that's one of the prettiest motorcycles I've seen in a very long while.
So now I'm thinking about something more like this.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=74114
Is that a Mastodon in the background?
I want fast, but I don't necessarily need stupid fast. But of course I want it. But I also want to be able to flick the bike from side to side in the twisties.
I've seen some people putting clip-ons or lower bars on the monsters. Anybody have any input on this. I did it on my BMW (1978 R80/7) and it worked well but of course this is/was a different situation. I guess I better just go do a test ride before posting too many more stupid questions. A test ride will answer most of them I suspect. Still, thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Hi Shady,

As you say, you really have to ride one.
That 696 looks very nice (and I agree - woolly mammoths in the background? Waht gives? Photoshop and a sense of humour????).

My wife has a 695 (last of the original style of Monster) and its a fun bike to ride. Needs a tooth off the front sprocket, but otherwise easy. I find myself grinning in my helmet when I ride it. If you read the bike mag reviews on the latest monsters they usually love the sound and looks, but think they lack practicality and power (a lot really like the M100S though). Of course these negatives don't matter if you love the bike!

You have more than enough (way more) mechanical skills to do the servicing and there is plenty of help on this forum. Go for it!

Cheers,

neil.

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
That's what I was looking at, when I decided Than I NEEDED a Ducati , They were not available yet, so I sat on Hyper ,said I'll kill myself.. Then when back and sat again three weeks later, and said I can do this.. Bought the Hyper ,,am still in awe of it ...

I got a few years on you ,,,My advice is too go Big ...meaning get the bike you want and do not settle for less ,,,May as well get a BIG BANG for your buck ,,

NOTHING wrong with the smaller Monster at all ,,Try the larger model ,so you are not left wanting more power in a few months ....

It might cost you more money now ,but if you trade later it will be even more expensive...

Don't worry about what any one else thinks and get the ride that suits you and the one you really want,, for your situation ,,,Enjoy take the time needed , and go with your gut feeling You deserve it...keeps you young and chipper ,makes the day that much brighter ..

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Check out some of the Red S2R's, they are almost as nice looking as the S4R's

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
If your planning on doing the maintenance yourself I would stick with a 2-valve. Bit easier to deal with. The S4Rs is a fantastic bike though. Got to ride one last year when the demo truck came through here. Love everything about it, awesome power, fantastic looks, and very comfortable.

I think maybe you should look at the Sport Classics. These are retro-looking bikes that are made to look similar to the 70's Sports, GTs, and Paul Smart's Imola winner. These have the DS1000 motor that is pretty much bullet proof. I have a Sport 1000 and love it. Mine's an '06 monoposto, but that is the only year that they made it. From '07 on they are all bipostos so you would be good to go for the occasional rides with the wife. I would probably suggest the GT1000 for you. Though the Sport 1000S would compliment your 1980 900SS. Check out the Sport Classic section here and there is a picture thread posted at the top.

Good luck and welcome back.:)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Oops, I'll fill out the profile. I live in Bishop, CA. Its a small town on the east side of the Sierra Nevada about 4 hours south of Reno, NV.
Home of a coffee shop that had the best coconut cream pie I have ever eaten.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The 1000cc DS engines are awesome engines, and easy to work on. There were (I think) a couple years that had some premature valve guide wear, maybe someone that's more up to speed than I can chime in with details. From everything you've said, you should at least go ride an S2R monster. Ride a Multistrada too. Not a bad choice in the lot :)

·
Registered
985 Posts
The GT1000. It's reasonably comfortable, dead reliable, and stupidly fast.

I had a 25 year break in riding, and dove back in with a new Triumph Bonneville. The GT joined the fold when a bit more performance was desired.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts