Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have a Monster but gave up on it or should I say my back did. It did have rather agressive Rizoma clip-ons but after an hour on it my back was killing me. I sold it and bought an ST2 but after putting almost 7k miles on it, I'm not completely satisfied with how it handles. I'm thinking about buying an S2R1000 with stock handle bars.
My question is #1. Will it be comfortable to ride for a few hours at a time? and #2. Will it handle better than my ST2? I'm not really doing a lot of two-up riding or overnights.

Thanks
:think:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Comfort on a monster

I an in my 40's and recently had a S2R 1k with stock handlebars. I thought it was very comfortable to ride as a commuter to work even with having to wear a backpack for my lunch and stuff. (I had traded in a Triumph Sprint ST with Saddlebags for the monster because I really wanted a Ducati.)

The monster was lighter and therefore also much easier to maneuver around the parking garage at work. The only drawback was the lack of wind protection at highway speeds. My longest rides were ~90 minutes one way to a remote office so I cannot comment on using it for "Touring".

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
My question is #1. Will it be comfortable to ride for a few hours at a time? and #2. Will it handle better than my ST2?
Comfort is very subjective.

Between an R1, GSXR, ST2, and a '01 Monster 900ie, my wife says that the R1 is probably the most comfortable of them all.....but that's pretty much all she's ridden in the last two years....nearly 40k miles. For hours of riding and being comfortable, all it takes is more saddle time, usually. My 748 used to kill me when I first got it, but I can ride it pretty much all day without too much of an issue. Two back-to-back 300+ mile days do take their toll, though.

Handling? Well, I would assume that it will handle better than an ST2 simply because it is lighter, but it can be highly influened by what you are already used to and what your definition of "better" would be. I mean, I can embarass a lot of people with my ST2 in the mountains and some are shocked how well it handles, but the ST sure isn't like my 748......but it does feel better than the 2001 Monster of my wife's. The ST feels more solid and stable than the '01 M900, but it's turn-in is a LOT slower than the 748

You're best bet would be to find one to test ride for a while. Never know, you may find out that you love it and its perfect for you......or that you absolutely hate it.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,715 Posts
always love the MTS idea.

Monster comfortable? i guess it depends on your build, but a friend of mine has ridden his 1100s on 500mi rides without a single complaint (with the exception of wind blast over 85 mph). As for the handling aspect of one, my 1100s is beyond capable, i ride it like no other.

have fun

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mine is pretty comfy with Cyclecat adjustable clipons and rearsets but then again I used to do 500 mile days on my 748 so....

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
878 Posts
Have a ST4$ and a M1000DS. Different tools for a different job.

If I could only have one, it would be the ST. great handling, awesome engine, fixed fairing for wind and weather protection.

Monster is a fun machine. Lighter, sharper handling, quicker (not faster) than the ST. I have rizoma al. handerbars on it ( a bit wider) makes it pretty upright and a sargent seat and I find it very comfy for 200-300 mile days in the mtns.

So, with regards to your ?.

#1 - yes

#2 - yes, sort of ;)

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had an S4r which was an absolute blast to drive. Man did that have power. I took it on vacation last year and drove it for about 5 hours one day. Not so comfortable after an hour I thought. Demo'd a GT1000 and bought it after the 5 hour ride. It was and is so damn comfortable compared to a Monster it is not a comparison. As for handling, I can drop the GT into turns as good as my 1098. They handle incredibly well. I really like the Monster, especially the S4r's. I think the 1100 would be awesome as well; only driven a 696 and I wanted to buy it that day also.

Before you get a Monster, look into the GT1000. I love the looks, but more importantly it has a GREAT motor and is the best bike I have owned. No shit.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Currently have both a Multistrada 1000S and an '08 Monster S4RS Tricolore in the stable and have been pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the Monster is for all-day rides. The Multi is clearly the overall winner for going the distance in pure upright comfort, and for being able to thrash it like a dirtbike and ride like a hooligan. Great wheelies! But the Monster, particularly with the 4-valve Testastretta motor, is an impressive package. Very fast, light, agile, and again I find it very comfortable. Spent four hours of backroads blitzing on it today with nary a complaint from wrists, back, butt or legs. All good. Of course as with the ergonomics on any bike, your results may vary depending on your height, arm length, inseam, riding style, etc. If I could have the Multi with the Monster's engine and awesome brakes I'd really be a happy motonut. Oh wait, that's the new Multistrada 1200 being released in about 9 days. Stay tuned . . .

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input. I did end up buying an '06 S2R1000 w/8k miles for
$5k. It seemed like too good a deal to pass up. I'll keep the ST until I decide which one is best suited for me. It's getting cold here in CT and haven't really been able to ride the S2R at all.

Cheers!

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
878 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I did end up buying an '06 S2R1000 w/8k miles for
$5k. It seemed like too good a deal to pass up. I'll keep the ST until I decide which one is best suited for me. It's getting cold here in CT and haven't really been able to ride the S2R at all.

Cheers!

Awesome, welcome to the MASTO Club - (Monster and ST Owners Club) LOL:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts