Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried adding some type of side panels that go over the airbox like the ones on the 1970's 750SS to a Paul Smart.

It seems like it would make the PS more retro.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for confusion, I mean the place just below the seat on each side. The GT sport classic have something like what I'm talking about. Just wondered if anyone had added them to the Paul Smart.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Photoshop this pic some more to visualise it. I'd love to get my hands on a pair of GT side covers, but at $380 :eek: for the pair as ordered from the local Duc shop... well, lets just say that I don't like them THAT much.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
I bought a set of GT covers on ebay last year.....never got round to fitting them. They need modifying to make them fit.
I would rather buy somthing off the shelf that will bolt straight on.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Something more akin to the original that follows the frame triangle

Fiberglass and tabs that snap on to the frame or attach with zip ties since the PS has no tabs for this to mount

:think:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes JCPak is right, the shape needs to follow the frame triangle more. The side covers from the GT look too small and not proportioned enough to compliment the bike.

Really wish someone would make the correct shaped panels as I would buy them.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Beat it out of a piece of aluminum
Layup some FRP
Layup some wet CF
molded Plastic
Paper Mache :)
or
Do a cut out from Plastic a la Flat number plate.:rolleyes:

The original 750's cover is larger because the triangle is larger so a shrunken version of the original would be needed.
I've measured out the SC triangle and it is approx
9"x 8"x 8"

Yes JCPak is right, the shape needs to follow the frame triangle more. The side covers from the GT look too small and not proportioned enough to compliment the bike.

Really wish someone would make the correct shaped panels as I would buy them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
They dont match very well in the lines of the bike..... but i can say back then when they raced the bikes, from what i see they usually removed them and gutted the unnecessary stuff from the bike anyways. Makes the SC1000 look more race like

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
True, but the production model had them.
Plus the side cover, especially on the left side, help to block the heat from the headers.
My left back-inner thigh is always Medium Rare ;)

JC

They dont match very well in the lines of the bike..... but i can say back then when they raced the bikes, from what i see they usually removed them and gutted the unnecessary stuff from the bike anyways. Makes the SC1000 look more race like

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
I bought a set of GT covers on ebay last year.....never got round to fitting them. They need modifying to make them fit.
I would rather buy somthing off the shelf that will bolt straight on.
Same here. I did however fit them up with zip ties just to get an idea of what it would look like.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
I think it should look closer to the original but a little different IMHO

Spoke to a CF FRP (fiber glass) fabricator and will meet with him this week
Sight unseen if I were to produce a CF or FRP Side cover
Who would be interested in getting a set?
I've gathered images from various places
http://jcpakbikes.com/imolasidecover/index.html

The original is far to big to fit on a SC so a reduced version would be needed

The airtec one is about $70 per side
This one from australia is abot 278 for the pair

Let me know what you think

JC

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Unpainted would be the way to go because
Matching the color to your bike would be based on colors of bike on hand.
The orange/yellow is the most difficult followed by the red, then the black
the Paul Smart is the most consistent of the colors to replicate away from your actual part.
Your best bet is to have it painted locally.

believe me I just went through this with a customer in Oz.
Insisted we paint it the sport yellow/orange and it was based on Ducati code and bike on location of the same color of part manufactured.
It did not match.
Ducati colors are notoriously off from one part to the other of the same model from the factory. The 999 yellow even the pearl and the reds do not match on a stcok show room bike.
when I worked with TMarkus paint we saw so many parts come trough from the factory that did not match up in color on the same bike. I am not BS-ing. It was mind boggling
JC

I'll take a set, but only if they come as a kit, painted and ready to bolt on.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts