Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As ya'll know I totaled my 06 ST3s ABS. Now I'm looking for a replacement. As I have all the ABS hardware and electronics I'm wondering how difficult it would be to add ABS to a non-ABS 04 or 05 ST4s or 05-07 ST3. As to the ST3 not being an "S" well I have all the parts to make that happen also. Although I suspect making a ST3 into a STs is easier than adding ABS to a ST4s.

Anyone here ever tried adding factory ABS?

Thx
Michael

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Just guessing but I’d bet it would be easier to put a Chevy V8 in it.

To be honest the ABS is probably the least appealing add on of the S version. I had a 2007 model for about 35k miles before I totaled it. I’m a big ABS fan but the version on those bikes is not very good. Newer versions are a huge improvement. But the wheels and suspension of the S are worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That the ABS wasn't all that great is what I have heard also. Nonetheless, I'd rather have it than not. And finding a 04 ST4s w/ABS in the Senna color scheme is... well I actually don't know if it was even available. I've reached out to a few ST4s and ST3s' from online ads. And (again) as I have the parts it's not like it would cost me $$ (assuming adding ABS is reasonably possible.

Hoping to hear opinions from more of my ST brothers out there.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I'd guess you will be better off just buying a slightly newer bike that already has ABS.
But, I would not want to try and fight my way through the problems that seem likely to arise.

·
Super Moderator
5,365 Posts
Just shooting from the hip here...but if you buy a non-ABS bike won't you have to reflash the ECU to let it know it now is an "s" model with ABS?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Actually I think it wouldn't be that hard, if it's just abs with no traction control. Most early abs systems are stand alone and work independently from the engine management.
You would still need to splice into the factory loom in several places though, for instance you would need a heavy fused constant power for the abs computer, Ignition feed , earth and brake light switch.
Also need abs warning light on dash.
You may not have mounting tabs/brackets for hardware on the non-abs bike either.
Seems like a lot of effort for little gain to me!

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apparently, no one has tried this. Again, I have ALL the parts. As far as wiring, I have an ABS factory loom. Warning light on dash... I have an ABS instrument cluster. Can't say about the mounting tabs but I also have a good set of ABS forks & related (if's that's where the ABS sensor mounts.)

Sounds like it's possible but could be a rather consuming project. Interesting...

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
There's sweet looking ST3s ABS at my local Ducati dealer in Worcester, MA. Red. Pristine. Heli Bars. They're asking $4500 for it.

2006. But it's got 57,000 miles on it. I really can't believe how nice it looks.

If U have a smart phone, I can txt U a few pics. PM me.

They've crated and shipped to the left coast before...(another ST4s that I "sold" for them -- Hmmm, somehow I'm missing out on the commission!)

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx @Stick. I'm looking for something is FAR less miles. There are a good number of these bikes out there with < 10K. that's the diretion I'm going.

As I have a cast on for the next 4 wks and then some PT time, I'm not in a hurry to get a new bike as I couldn't ride if it were here. So I'm taking my time. That said, there are a couple I currently interested in. We'll see how things go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts