Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, I was a board member here like 10 years ago, I had a 916sps, 748, and 749s, I just picked up a 996 almost a year ago. Man I missed those bikes, I been telling my buddies who I ride with how awesome these era of superbikes where. They all rolled their eyes at me LOL, I currently also have a 17 GSXR 1000 and 18 RSV4. All my buddies rode the 996 and came back very impressed and they were like I get it now. So I picked up a great 996 for dirt cheap 2K, bike runs good needs TLC and since it's been like 12 years since I have done a valve adjustment and other stuff I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff and of corse I have other issues with the 996 I never had with the other bikes because now dealing with age.

My Questions

1.) Stator cover, I saw a gasket for sale but If I remember correctly, I think i just use gasket sealer and not bother with a gasket?
2.) The rubber covers around electrical connections are starting to crumble is there a good way to replace them or aftermarket solution?
3.) Can I do like a healtech quickshifter or is the gearbox a bit too delicate on these bikes?
4.) I have a chip in the bike that says singe injector and checked that one of the injectors on each throttle is unplugged (is this the best solution? my SPS had a different computer seemed much bigger than in the current 996)

aside from Rocker arms pitting, stator flywheel nut, rear bearings on the swingarm, what else should I check?

Thanks in Advance!1

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
1.) Stator cover, I saw a gasket for sale but If I remember correctly, I think i just use gasket sealer and not bother with a gasket?
When Ducati used paper gaskets they leaked and we always used a liquid gasket without fail, just do NOT over do it as any you see squish out side the case is likely also on the inside and crankshafts do NOT like bits of sealant floating around.

2.) The rubber covers around electrical connections are starting to crumble is there a good way to replace them or aftermarket solution?
I have not seen them elsewhere but i am sure Ducati did not invent any of them. Easiest way may be to find a good harness and just swap the rubbers.

3.) Can I do like a healtech quickshifter or is the gearbox a bit too delicate on these bikes?
Ducati gearboxes are as strong as anything out there on the market, they only break when owners put on Healte.....>:)

Well sort of, if you put on a quick shifter you will be fine AS LONG AS you set it up properly. I have seen gearbokes broken by a number of quick shifters that were NOT set up and the rider hammered on the gearbox.

4.) I have a chip in the bike that says singe injector and checked that one of the injectors on each throttle is unplugged (is this the best solution? my SPS had a different computer seemed much bigger than in the current 996)
A FIM ultimap/megazone single injector chip is a good chip I would leave it alone, is it a 222 or 232? If you have someone near you who can tune it on a dyno it is best but from what I have seen there is no better chip. plus notw you have 2 spare injectors if you ever need them.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many km or miles on the bike? History? Has it been sitting unused with only a little fuel in the tank?
18K, Has not been sitting but for example, I have the bike for 9 months and only did 150 or less, I put fuel stabilizer and used Seafoam

·
Registered
957 Posts
I had a starlane quickshifter and yoyodyne slipper clutch on my 748 track bike. they worked flawlessly together.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When Ducati used paper gaskets they leaked and we always used a liquid gasket without fail, just do NOT over do it as any you see squish out side the case is likely also on the inside and crankshafts do NOT like bits of sealant floating around.

I have not seen them elsewhere but i am sure Ducati did not invent any of them. Easiest way may be to find a good harness and just swap the rubbers.

Ducati gearboxes are as strong as anything out there on the market, they only break when owners put on Healte.....>:)

Well sort of, if you put on a quick shifter you will be fine AS LONG AS you set it up properly. I have seen gearbokes broken by a number of quick shifters that were NOT set up and the rider hammered on the gearbox.

A FIM ultimap/megazone single injector chip is a good chip I would leave it alone, is it a 222 or 232? If you have someone near you who can tune it on a dyno it is best but from what I have seen there is no better chip. plus notw you have 2 spare injectors if you ever need them.

Gotcha about gasket maker, glad I asked

I don't need to fix the rubber I would just like to

So the shift times were too short on the quickshifter?, I found Healtech in Auto mode a .85MS on my GSXR 600 was perfect, I can play with that, I would be looking for smooth operation, I find that with the quickshifter always shifts better than me with the clutch and all my bikes have them so I really can't see my life without them.

Great Info on FIM I'll look at that chip to see if it's 222-223

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a starlane quickshifter and yoyodyne slipper clutch on my 748 track bike. they worked flawlessly together.
I have not ridden a bike without a slipper clutch in such a long time my 996 suprised me, I did not realize how much they help, I will looking into starlane thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One other question, Can I run engine ice? My buddy said he wanted to change it his coolant on his Pani V4 and use engine ice the dealer said don't he will have issues with the engine?

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have not ridden a bike without a slipper clutch in such a long time my 996 suprised me, I did not realize how much they help, I will looking into starlane thanks for the heads up.
especially on the 996 swing arms. my 996 did not have a slipper clutch and hard down shifts would make that rear end flex a lot.

engine ice is fine in the 996. I run it in just about all of my bikes and in many of my customers. as for the Pani, I do not know. can't imagine it would be a problem.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would add metal fuel quick-disconnects to your list. The oem ones were plastic... heat & age wears them out and when they break/leak you get fuel right onto a hot engine... $80, but a good investment.

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
So the shift times were too short on the quickshifter?, I found Healtech in Auto mode a .85MS on my GSXR 600 was perfect, I can play with that, I would be looking for smooth operation, I find that with the quickshifter always shifts better than me with the clutch and all my bikes have them so I really can't see my life without them.
I have not been on the bike with the riders that destroyed gearboxes but will simply put it like this. If the bike shifts smooth and trouble free it is probably good to go. On the other hand if it is NOT being smooth and instead is clunking and missing shifts STOP using it until you figure out what it wrong. Basic mechanics if it works well =good .

One other question, Can I run engine ice? My buddy said he wanted to change it his coolant on his Pani V4 and use engine ice the dealer said don't he will have issues with the engine?
No problem running engine ice but I am not sure there is a benefit either, most tracks I go to will not allow it as it is no better than Glycol to clean up and i have not seen bikes run any cooler with it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have not been on the bike with the riders that destroyed gearboxes but will simply put it like this. If the bike shifts smooth and trouble free it is probably good to go. On the other hand if it is NOT being smooth and instead is clunking and missing shifts STOP using it until you figure out what it wrong. Basic mechanics if it works well =good .

No problem running engine ice but I am not sure there is a benefit either, most tracks I go to will not allow it as it is no better than Glycol to clean up and i have not seen bikes run any cooler with it.
So Engine Ice does not make the bike run cooler, in my experience, the bike cools down quicker after getting heat soaked. I live in FL and at the light, I can see 227 on my RSV4 and it will stay over 200 for a while, Now with the EI I never see more than like 215 and it drops down to lower then 200F much quicker (like less then 1/2 the time). My GSXR 600 same thing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts