Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a late 84 900 s-2 bevel I’ve been saving for a rainy day , I have sourced a set of nos conti’s and new headers and a full set of decals , problem is I don’t know if I should restore it to original or do a ncr restomod, what is everyone’s thoughts ?

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I would do what you like, the S2 is not a sought-after model, and it is you who have to ride it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would do what you like, the S2 is not a sought-after model, and it is you who have to ride it.
The way prices are going and availability for the older bevels I can see that not sought after changing soon , but I do love the look of the ncr 😎

·
Registered
‘05 749R, ‘89 851/926, 749R/999RS project
514 Posts
The way prices are going and availability for the older bevels I can see that not sought after changing soon , but I do love the look of the ncr 😎
So tell us, why did you buy it?

Did the possibilities appeal or the option to maybe make money? What’s more important, building the bike you think about when the missus has knocked back your slap on her bum or waiting....and waiting....and waiting for it to become collectable?

Bikes are a shit investment (mostly) just do whatever strikes your fancy rather than hoping and praying for the world to change and suddenly think you have something “collectable”.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Already have my money in the bank collectable, just don’t see any of the s-2’s at shows , see plenty MHR and 750 ss around but have only ever seen one mint condition s2 , just a bit undecided as I like to ride something a little different , I’ve never seen a NCR in Tasmania so can’t make my mind up 🙁 unless I come across another 900 bevel then I can do both lol

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
In the long run, Stock is where the money is, although the NCR looks good it's not going to be worth as much as a nicely restored stock motorcycle.

·
Registered
‘05 749R, ‘89 851/926, 749R/999RS project
514 Posts
In the long run, Stock is where the money is, although the NCR looks good it's not going to be worth as much as a nicely restored stock motorcycle.
Not saying you are wrong....but the S2 came at a low point in Ducati desirability.. Iit’s a helluva punt to say the values are going to do much in the near future.

I’ll politely disagree and think that might just be the perfect era for a nicely modded Ducati to recoup good money.

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
Do what you like with it. Just don’t screw it up. Don’t modify stock stuff, buy a replacement. Put everything you take off in a tote. If you want to restore later it won’t be a pain in the butt. It will appeal to a wider group if it is at least restorable and mostly there.

·
Bon Vivant
11,579 Posts
Sometimes money should not be the motivation of things. That S2 is pretty cool - except for the paint job - damn that is nasty.
Personally, I'd probably build an SS tribute out of it and ride it.

·
Registered
99' 996
59 Posts
Personally I would vote restore it to original fit, but paint it red with the classic Ducati tank script. Beautiful bike but that color is just all wrong on a Duc.

Outside of that I would clean it up and make it right and leave it original. Seems like the value these days is more in bikes and cars that are survivors more so than pristine models or concours restorations.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Remember when restoring a motorcycle you dont want to over restore it, Just an example I uncrated new Triumphs & Nortons back in the day--It was a normal thing to see run's in the paint on the frames--this was because the frames were dipped not sprayed on many of them --So when I see a British bike at a show that has absolutely no blemishes with a restoration --I call that over restored.--You always judge a motorcycle or auto in shows by a standard--What is the standard? --that is how it would have come from the factory. -Now the S2 may not be very collectable at this point in time -But it will be.
30 years ago I could purchase really nice running BMW R69S models for under $1000. all day long---Now they are bringing $30K and more & it's not a rare motorcycle there were over 12000 of them made--Another that people have gone crazy over is a 1974-1976 BMW R90S, again not a rare motorcycle over 12000 built but now pristine one's are bringing $30K --So what is not collectable now very likely will be soon---When other bevel Ducati's become so far out of reach for most people to purchase then start looking at that S2.

Reactions: Cyberspook

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,290 Posts
Do what your heart tells you to do!

If I were you, I'd do the following:

1) Remove and store all the S2 bodywork (fairing, covers and tank) inside a time capsule.
2) Restore everything underneath the covers.
3) Source or custom-make the bodywork of my dreams (in my case a MH Replica instead of the NCR). It doesn't need to be perfect, as it is going to be an impostor anyway.
4) Install the new bodywork keeping everything else intact so the bike can turn back to be an S2 in the future.
5) Get the original S2 Bodywork out of the time capsule in 30 years (when the S2 becomes collectible).

·
Bon Vivant
11,579 Posts
The problem with the "over-restored" mantra is that most people are wrong - Most think the bikes somehow looked used off the showroom floor or that paint and polish was somehow less than shiny and new. I remember a few years back a 77 Ducati SS was found still in its original crate. The new owner took it out of the crate and took some pictures, the bike was beautiful. - without knowing the bike was 100% original it got a whole bunch of "over restored" comments on social media...

One of my restorations has parts on it with original paint and chrome - when people say its over restored I ask them to find those parts, They cant because they look just like the rest of the bike which somehow is "over-restored".

The trend these days is to restore with some patina or to "over dull" chrome, polish and paint. People are even painting flat or matte finishes where gloss used to be - especially frames. To me that's fake. They are trying to make the bike look like something its not or age it to something it isn't. Either leave it alone or put it back to new - making up a random state of aging is dishonest, maybe even fraudulent if you make claims that its original.

And speaking of survivors - there are very few bikes that actually qualify as a survivor and even fewer that are worth collecting. - you cant make a survivor - no-one has touched a real survivor, that's why its called a survivor. The minute you do anything beyond cleaning it is no longer a survivor. And that's why they are so valuable. I've only ever found 1 bike that was a true survivor.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Customised bikes are the easy way out and that is why correctly restored bikes like the ones Flynbulldog does are not common and are invariably admired greatly. The S2s are starting to get more valuable over here. One option is to turn it into a Supersport. The challenge is to do it original and it would be a rare bike especially if you can get the correct lower front fairing. Either way it is most enjoyable for most of the journey. Cheers
Ian

·
Bon Vivant
11,579 Posts
yeah I have to re-evaluate my earlier statement, Doing it back to original is the right way to go. Its a sweet bike and there are so few left that are correct. it's a product and an icon of its time and that is cool all by itself. There are way too many supersport clones out there, like macdesmo says the challenge is to put it back to original and I think that would be an awesome bike.

·
Registered
2001 S4, 2000 750ie Sport
730 Posts
Got to admit the cafe racer looks nice, so do all the other cafe racers.
The black bike with stripes is pretty retro and I'd bet it would be the only bike anything remotely like it wherever you take it.
I'd restore it to original.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts