Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I have a Red 400ss with a black engine and white framing. I am just wondering if there is a good tutorial or some general advice to repainting the engine (black) and the frame(white) without having to take the entire bike apart and with little risk to damaging/painting the fairings.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Ben

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am restoring an old Moto Guzzi, including repainting the frame and engine. You need to spray from several angles to cover everything, and maintain the spray can or gun a certain distance-to close and you get drips, to far and not enough paint. So I don't know how you plan on painting with the engine in frame?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hey,

I have a Red 400ss with a black engine and white framing. I am just wondering if there is a good tutorial or some general advice to repainting the engine (black) and the frame(white) without having to take the entire bike apart and with little risk to damaging/painting the fairings.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Ben
Ben - I have NO idea how you intend to spray your engine inframe, least of all with the fairings on??!

Dont be a lazyass - drop your engine out (its really not that hard? :) ) clean it up properly and spray it up PROPERLY.

- and dont even THINK about hand-painting it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
^Agreed, just take the engine out, don't be "that guy".

Personally i think the SS engine is really easy to get at, you have 3 threaded bars to undo (if you incl swinger) and then disconnect the airbox tubes, clutch slave, shock, a couple and wires and that's about it, the frame, tank, subrame and front wheel lift off as one piece. I've done it a few times now and i've even got it down to a 1 person job. (2 is highly recommended though!)

·
Registered
649 Posts
I recently bought a 95 900ss with a couple of bad cyclinder studs, so I had to remove the engine anyway (ended up at a machine shop to remove the broken stubs). The PO had spray painted the engine in the frame and had done a terrible job. There was overspray everywhere and runs all over. Looked like s#!%*!! While I had the engine out, I cleaned it all with paint thinner and a scurb brush to remove all the old spray paint. Then I gave it another once over with Purple Power to remove any oil residue so I wouldn't get fish eyes in my new paint. Even with the engine removed, there's still a lot of masking that needs to be done to keep paint off of areas that don't need it. Finally, I shot it with high temp engine paint. Cases and heads are silver, cylinders are black and miscellaneous covers are grey. It turned out pretty good.

Valves are adjusted and I should have it back in the frame this weekend. Like others have mentioned, These engines aren't too tough to remove, and it will give you a chance to clean up a lot of things that are hard or impossible to reach when still in the frame. You'll be able to do a lot better job if you take a little extra time. Either way you choose to go, good luck with the project.

·
Registered
116 Posts
^Nice job! :cool:

I'm actually dropping mine next weekend to re-shim and clean the cases with Alloy Bright, clean and wrap the headers. Just in time for it all to get filthy again over winter. :D

·
Registered
293 Posts
Where does all this enthusiasm about respraying everything come from? Is it bad if the engine looks like it's 15 years old if it is?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Where does all this enthusiasm about respraying everything come from? Is it bad if the engine looks like it's 15 years old if it is?
Bad for you maybe. Some people like to tinker with and keep their ducatis looking like new. I do. Call it anal or whatever, I call it fun :D!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Bad for you maybe. Some people like to tinker with and keep their ducatis looking like new. I do. Call it anal or whatever, I call it fun :D!
It is one of the most beautiful motors (Guzzi and BMW air & oil heads) why not show it off! IMO

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I'll be spraying mine tomorrow......Just had the frame poudercoated white (from gold) soon to have the wheels sprayed black....oh what fun it is!

·
Señor Member
8,468 Posts
At the end of September I had an accident that cracked my RH fairing. They're all off, currently at DT996's for repairs and paint. I have repaired cracks in my frame at the steering head. Since it's down for a couple of months I figured I'd pull the engine to better repair the cracks and reinforce the steering head area. And since it's apart the frame will be repainted, too. Glad to know it's not too complicated pulling the engine. While it's out I'll clean up what I can as some of you are doing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts