Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 1260S, bought new last April, so first major service at just under 19k miles @ Pro Italia in Glendale CA. Dropped the bike off on 2/28, they performed the service, bill was a bit over $2100. with shims etc., and I picked it up on the 30th. I had drilled down for several months prior, and the word was that Pro Italia was an excellent shop. A few hundred miles aftert the service, the oil service minder started counting down. Since we are over in the desert, and depending on the time of day it takes between two and four hours to drive to Glendale, and a buddy with a PP had a warranty recall for the side stand, we rode over to Moto Forza in Escondido and while there I had them reset the oil minder. While doing the walk around intake, the service rep points out oil leaking on the right skid plate. He looks it over and says it looks like the horizontal valve cover. I pointed out that I had just had the major service done, and he said take it back to where the work was done.
I call Pro Italia and the service writer says to bring it in early the following Tuesday. Instead of leaving the desert at o'dark thirty and grinding through the four hour rush hour slog, I get a motel nearby so that I can be there when they open. All this on the assumption that it is the valve cover gasket, which is a two hour fix max.
I must also report that after the intake I talked directly with the owner and politely and calmly expressed my upset that when I brought the bike to them it was not leaking oil, and after $2100. the bike now has an oil leak. I also asked him to make some kind of gesture to indicate that he understood what a pita this was and that I did not appreciate having to drive back and forth through LA traffic for a repair that should not have been necessary. An hour or so after our conversation he handed me $110. in cash and said that this should cover my motel and some gas. I told him that I accepted his apology and that the cash went a ways to placate my being upset.
Meanwhile, back in the shop the tech replaced the valve cover gaskets...still leaking. The tech, who was genuinely stumped and a nice fellow, now thinks it's the cam seals behind the gears for the cam belt on the horizontal cylinder. The seals are across LA in Newport. I tell the owner to just fix the bike and deliver it back to me in the desert. He asks me to wait so that he does not have to do that. He offers to Uber the seals from Newport, in order to expedite the fix. Roughly 3 hours later, seals are replaced and....wait for it.......still leaking!
I suggest to the tech to add some UV dye to the oil and put a black light on it. He says that's what he's thinking too. It is now 4 o'clock. I tell the owner, again, to fix the bike a deliver it back to me when it is fixed. I drive four hours through rush hour to get back to the desert.
I email the service writer mid-day the next day and he reports that the leak is coming from the cam cap. They cannot get to it until the following day and that after removal, cleaning the area and resealing it, the sealant need to set up overnight. So we are now talking Friday, 4 days after I brought it back to them. I call them on Friday and they report that "The unit does not appear to be leaking", after two test rides and removing the cover and a visual inspection of the area. I ask them to return the bike to me and the owner says he thinks he can get to it the following weekend. Rather than rely on this vague date, I drive over and pick the bike up.
I have a moto lift on my pickup and can only find a parking space a block and a half away. I start the bike and ride it over to where the truck is parked. I let it warm up to see if I can see a leak, so far no leak, but when I turn it off and start putting the straps on the lower triples I notice that the sight glass has no oil in it. I am stunned. I go back and tell the service writer, who now acts like I am being the worlds biggest pita, and he walks back with an oil jug and tops off the oil. After all that work, and all the oil that had leaked out, they forgot to check the oil level and replace what had leaked out!
I will take the bike out for a good hard long ride on Monday and see if anything is awry. I certainly hope that by now all is fixed.
I am writing this so that all of you are fully aware of my experience at this dealership, just in case you ever consider taking your bike to them. Make your own judgements, but I for one, will not be going back to Pro Italia.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Dang. I read every word of your post and I’m stunned. Pro Italia does have a good reputation in the community so this post is upsetting. Fingers crossed your bike is finally fixed. I don’t blame you if you don’t go back.

·
Premium Member
3,757 Posts
Sounds like they were trying to make it right. I know it's a crappy situation but that's primarily because of how far you have to travel to get it worked on (I have the same issue so I feel for you). If you were 10 minutes away this would have been a speed bump not an ordeal.

That price however... damn that's $700 more than I pay for desmo service.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx guys. I forgot to mention that when I asked the service writer, right before I started the bike: how could the service have caused a leak from the cam cap? He said "Shit happens". Unbelievable.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yes the shop did a very good job of giving you high priority to sort out a stubborn oil leak. ProItalia has no ability to control LA traffic and on street parking . Everyone wants to trash professional service because they can't give instant delivery or do not act immediately on customer demands. He hands you $110 and you say you'll never go back? No sympathy here
(n)

·
Premium Member
3,757 Posts
ention that when I asked the service writer, right before I started the bike: how could the service have caused a leak from the cam cap? He said "Shit happens". Unbelievable.
Why is that unbelievable? Shit DOES happen... and not everyone is perfect, mistakes get made. If you expect a shop to be perfect you're being unreasonable - what's more important is what do they do to make it right... and IMO they did more than most shops would and a LOT more than they strictly speaking had to. Based on this story I'd be MORE inclined to use them for service not less (assuming the high pricing is just a what it costs in CA and there aren't more competitive shops in the area).

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, really?!? If you had taken your bike in for a major, and expensive, service AND the bike was returned to you with a major oil leak, I'd be surprised if you would be ok with that.
I'm not going to participate in a flame war here. You have my info, do with it as you see fit.

·
Premium Member
3,757 Posts
I'd not be OK with it but if they support me to get it rapidly corrected I'd be fine with that (if they did it a LOT that would be a different issue... but one mistake could be just that... a mistake). I can't hold my dealer responsible for the fact that I have to travel 2 1/2 hours to get to them. Annoying - yes, but not their problem. Would you be here complaining if you could have wheeled down there in 10 minutes to drop the bike off so they could fix it?

Certainly shops with a track record of poor work should be called out, but you have one issue (unless there's more to your experience that you've not identified), that's not a track record.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I can't comment on the price of your service, i'm in Australia and have no idea on what a fair price is in Cali, but i can say that your situation, as inconvenient as it was, it wasn't necessarily Pro Italias fault, coincidences happen and it's entirely possible the tech checked the bike when he completed his work and there was no sign of a leak, did working on the bike cause it? maybe, maybe not but it's hard to imagine a workshop knowingly sending a bike out with a significant leak.
Your location and the inconvenience being exacerbated because of it is a significant contributing factor to your agro and that's on you. Airing your complaint publicly for what happened seems a little unfair to me, they were a lot more understanding of the situation than you are being and it seems that no different outcome would have made you happy.

Given the service managers efforts to placate you i would have no problem using Pro Italia because unlike some others they genuinely seem to care about your situation, the fact that they couldn't satisfy you seems to be more your expectation than their effort.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I hope this was a lot more than just the oil change and valve adjust. I think I have heard a price more like half that, but guess I need to look into that more. Mine will come due later this year.

I have been to Pro Italia a couple times and looked around but never done business with them. I have an Indy shop closer and now another Ducati dealer closer to me, in Chatsworth. Anyway, Pro Italia does have a good rep. Nobody is perfect though. Hope your bike is good now, OP.

·
Premium Member
3,757 Posts
Wow, really?!? If you had taken your bike in for a major, and expensive, service AND the bike was returned to you with a major oil leak, I'd be surprised if you would be ok with that.
I'm not going to participate in a flame war here. You have my info, do with it as you see fit.
And FWIW I DID have major issues with my last Desmo service (they left my new carbon fiber rear wheel so loose on the hub that I could rattle it by hand, and they installed the new air filter upside down) ... and while I commented about the issues here (you can look up the thread, late 18)... I didn't name the shop. You don't need to be OK with screw-ups to recognize that they DO happen.

Another example - I had an issue with a quick-change sprocket mfgr sending me the wrong part and it damaged my hub. I brought the issue up here but didn't criticize the company (Superlite) until they refused to make it right (thread also available with a search). I think it's important to recognize that a mistake is just that, and a company that is willing to work with you to make it right is more and more the exception (Superlite just acted like it was my fault and then stopped responding when I sent them the part that made it clear it was THEIR problem... that's the sort of shit service that should be called out so the community can understand the risk of dealing with that company).

·
Registered
260 Posts
I can understand why you're upset, but I also don't think Pro Italia did anything particularly wrong here. Service come backs happen to every dealer, and while they are inconvenient, they aren't by themselves a reason to think less of them, or their mechanic. They took reasonable steps to make the issue right, including an offer to deliver the bike to you, which is at least an entire days labor! I don't think you could ask for much more than that. If you want to fairly evaluate the quality of service you received, remove anything related to the distance you live from the dealer from that consideration. It's not the dealer's fault you live 4 hours away, and it sounds to me like a big part of the aggravation here was caused by that fact.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I was touring in CA a few years ago. 2013 Multi had about 22K. I had done the first major myself. These new chains don't seem to stretch at all.......until they do. After having to adjust 3 times in 500 miles, stopped at a Honda store in Redding to have a chain replaced. 4 hours later, I walk back in the shop and the guy has a hammer and prybar on the eccentric. He had my eccentric adjusting tool bent and twisted. STOP!!! Called Pro Itallia. I had been buying parts from them for my Multi and a previous SC 1000s for years. Rented a truck and trailer and drove the 540 miles to Pro Italia. After dropping off tne bike, the owner picked me up at the rental place and took me to lunch. They had me back on the road that afternoon and yes, the traffic sucked! Nothing but kudos for Pro Italia. Even doing your own work "shit happens". Mine was a self inflicted wound. Thought about putting a chain before I left.............but it seemed fine.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
My retirement gig is working in a large used bike shop, one of the biggest in the country. In addition to doing safeties and service on bikes I am on of the test riders there. Seems to me sometimes things go south no matter how hard you try. It’s what you do when things go bad that are a measure of the shops integrity and credibility. I’ll leave it at that. .

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Yea, my shop kept the bike for 7 days after estimate of 3 day turn around. Left a coolant hose loose (lower) and I found a puddle at work. Tightened with multi-tool and sent them the pics of hose area and puddle. Never heard back. This was for a shift return spring (parts I provided) estimated at $150 but finished at $300. They are always nice and comped the oil/filter when I picked it up. They expedited a warranty repair on the fuel sender. I know they will look at my service history in the future and lack of histrionics and take care of things. The OPs issue was particularly annoying but the shop did what it needed to do. Cash for a hotel? Uber for parts? That's above and beyond. I'd be praising them once the frustration wore off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts