Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know after you've done the FF and are putting the fuel cap mount back in the tank hole.
How the hell do you make it get back in!!!!!

My one wont go down, almost like the seal has swollen, it pops out.
I can't even get in in and hold it to screw those stupid little pointy screws in.

Any ideas?

Cheers:)

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
you must take the rubber gasket and line it up properly on the filler before you try to push it back into the tank, don't start with seal in tank but on filler. when you do it this way it easily fits back in the tank.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do, cheers for that.:D

·
Registered
238 Posts
fuel cap

i found this hugely tedious as well. Besides being really patient and gradually working around it i also very gently used a soft rubber mallet. Utimately i put a slight amount of grip solvent (for golf grips but lots of stuff would work) around the o-ring and this did the trick. It evaporates quickly but is slick before doing so.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All done.
When I pulled the tank bits off I never noticed that the rubber seal slipped beneath the lip of the filler mount.
It looked like thats where it went, but no way would it go in.
Just looked at it logically and figured it must be obvious and it was. Put the seal around the filler lip, rubber mallet tap, all good.:D

Just doing the last bits from a total tear down and a bit of bling and mods etc. Hopefully all going this weekend.

Never realised how easy it is to install a Power Commander too.
Brought a PCIII from USA.
Cost here NZD quoted $650.
Brought direct from a place in the US $390 NZD after conversion rate.
Nice of the US dollar being low, or ours being high!:D

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Relocate the filter next time

Others have also done this.

Get some fuel injection tubing. Inside the tank replace the filter with the correct length tubing, the outside run the tubing to and from the filter.

This will save time (or mechanics time/money) and angst.

Richard

Attachments

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Is there any downside to placing the fuel filter outside the tank? Assuming that it's located away from excess heat and properly attached to something of course.

not sure what the purpose was in locating it inside the tank in the first place... fully understand that there must be a screen before the pump to protect the pump mechanism itself, and a filter after the pump to protect the carbs/FI/engine, but why put this whole contraption inside the gas tank? Just to save space?

Has anyone moved the whole setup out of the fuel tank?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Others have also done this.

Get some fuel injection tubing. Inside the tank replace the filter with the correct length tubing, the outside run the tubing to and from the filter.

This will save time (or mechanics time/money) and angst.

Richard
Have you noticed any problems from your relocation? I am about to do the fuel filter and am toying with this idea.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Have you noticed any problems from your relocation? I am about to do the fuel filter and am toying with this idea.
No problems at all. I relocated it 8 years ago.

Guessing that is 25,000 miles / 40,000 km external to the tank.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Just watch routing so fuel lines don't kink when tank goes down.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
the problem i have with it is that there's no reason to look in the tank occasionally. i see some very manky ones on otherwise clean bikes.
I agree. Part of the process is cleaning the fuel screen at the base of the pump. Usually has all kinds of crap in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts