Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need any special tools for replacing a clutch lever? I busted my lever this weekend and I think I have a spare somewhere around here, but before I start taking anything apart I figured I would post up first. I am new to tinkering around with bikes. :D Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nope. I just use a micro flat-head screwdriver to shimmy off the c-clip. I put a dab of grease on my fingertip and hold it over the c-clip so it doesn't go flying off. Remember to grease the pivot pin when re-assembling.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you all recommend some realible places to find parts for our bikes besides directly from Ducati? I found this clutch lever online, but considering it is $100 less then one from Ducati I am wondering if it is too good to be true. Anything I should look for when ordering non-Ducati parts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Psychor said:
Can you all recommend some realible places to find parts for our bikes besides directly from Ducati? I found this clutch lever online, but considering it is $100 less then one from Ducati I am wondering if it is too good to be true. Anything I should look for when ordering non-Ducati parts?

Thanks.
We sell that 749-999 lever for about $85.

$15 is way below distributor cost--and we buy direct from Brembo NA ( I don't think these guys do). The only $15 lever that Brembo sells is a non adjustable universal lever for the square Brembo reservoirs.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Buy the way, since no one else warned you and hopefully its not to late.....be careful re-inserting the puchrod back into the dust bubble. It tends to be a pain. If you got some patience us it on this because ripping it is not an option.
When installing your new lever start with this, dry off your grease bits and slowly twist the pushrod into the bubbles hole....

As you may find the bubbles going to collapse. just keep at twisting back and forth until it starts to work its way on to the pushrod. Some people say us a straw or something to the likes....I say don't! Possibiltiy of ripping this gasket is easy. Now that the bubble is half way on the pushrod, insert the pivot point and secure the pin inplace...Hopfeully the pushrod is still sitting in the bubble. Now slightly squezze the bubble and roll it around until it seats on the push rods in the correct position.

Cheers!
Tested and proven! CRG Roll-a-Clicks

Btw if you do rip it, at least you have an excuse to buy the brembo set-ups $300 a pop!

hahahah "pop"

·
Registered
610 Posts
You must set the push rod at a specific depth or you run a chance of blocking the back flow hole

(fluid will heat and expand and if it can't expand back into the resv. it will push on the calipers=lockup!!!)

Learned the hard way!!!! (before the CRG recall)

·
Registered
28 Posts
StavesacredarK said:
You must set the push rod at a specific depth or you run a chance of blocking the back flow hole

(fluid will heat and expand and if it can't expand back into the resv. it will push on the calipers=lockup!!!)

Learned the hard way!!!! (before the CRG recall)
What is the correct depth?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Nigel said:
What is the correct depth?

Thanks
Adjust the pushrod so it just contacts the piston; there is a 1.5mm set screw on the lever pushrod pivot.

Also, I have had very good results with the cheep-o replacement lever. I got mine from Chris Kelly at California Cycleworks make sure the cheep-o unit has the set screw, or reuse your original one

I found it's much easier to just remove the dust seal from the master, install it on the new lever push rod and then reassemble. Ensure you bleed the master cylinder (the bleeder is the 6mm nut in the reservoir) before you bleed the lines or proceed with anything else!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts