Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to install new rear shocks? I heard it is very easy, particularly if you have a motorcycle jack.

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
M, yes, replacing your shocks is quite easy, extremely easy if you have a jack or centerstand, BUT, it is so easy that one has to wonder if someone looking for a tutorial on such a simple task should actually be doing any work themselves.

I don't mean to discourage you, but if you are inexperienced enough to even ask that question, you might want to have some one with just a bit of experience having a beer with you during the job (it's only a 1 beer job - well, 1 for each of you). It also makes me wonder if you actually have any tools for the job.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
M, yes, replacing your shocks is quite easy, extremely easy if you have a jack or centerstand, BUT, it is so easy that one has to wonder if someone looking for a tutorial on such a simple task should actually be doing any work themselves.

I don't mean to discourage you, but if you are inexperienced enough to even ask that question, you might want to have some one with just a bit of experience having a beer with you during the job (it's only a 1 beer job - well, 1 for each of you). It also makes me wonder if you actually have any tools for the job.
At this point, I've installed termi pipes with an ecu and a puk1 wasp kit w/power commander. I believe I am qualified; I just need some tips or pointers. ;)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well OK

Pull bolts out of one shock put new shock in and install bolts. Same on other side........Your kind of confusing us here.

·
Banned
210 Posts
Its a 2 can job , just make sure you replace the L/H one 1st , as they have less built in backlash when released than the R/H one, in stock form anyway. this saves you finding and going over the tipping point , or getting smacked in the face by it when you pull it out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Once they are on you are gonna want to fine tune them..... They are super fine-tunable. They say (the suppliers) they will come pre tuned for your weight/riding style but definitely get in there and mess around with the rebound and compression. Makes a huge difference. Mine showed up wicked stiff with super quick rebound. Set em up correctly and you'll be a happy camper.

·
Registered
128 Posts
BTW, 4 can job for me..... But the missus was on her weekly thursday "girls nite out"...

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
On a more serious note here, the job will be much easier if you have a centre stand or some way of lifting the rear wheel off the floor by jacking under the engine. I had to shim out the shock mountings with some washers because the YSS shocks are narrower at the eyelets than the originals. After fitting check your chain tension whilst sitting on the bike, as a tight chain will not allow the suspension to operate correctly (as well as wearing out the gearbox bearings).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts