Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to replace the spark plugs in my 2011 Multi for the first time since I bought it used, and I'm wondering if there any common pitfalls I should be aware of, or if it is as straightforward as it appears to be from the description in the shop manual (wouldn't that be refreshing for a change)? I need the remove the gas tank to route some wiring for a new GPS mount, so I figured that would be a good time to do the plugs. The service manual lists two NGK plugs;MAR9A-J / MARC9C-J, which I assume are different heat ranges. Any suggestions on which to use? Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
never heard of an ngk marc9c-j. neither has the ngk website it seems. i usually put mar9a-j in them, that's what they've always had ime.

do anything you can if you have to remove the tank i say, as long as they need replacing. i do them every 24,000km, which i guess is 15,000miles? that's the spec, i'd not see a need to do them more regularly.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. Is it just as simple as removing the coils and sticking a spark plug socket in the hole and unscrewing the plugs? My 2011 only has one plug per cylinder and they look pretty easy to get to (at least once the tank is out of the way for the vertical cylinder.)

·
Premium Member
12,385 Posts
I have heard that some engines have a small amount of clearance sos a thin walled spark plug wrench may be needed???
Just trying to get you all worried and such:surprise:>:)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. It's those kinds of surprises that I'm trying to avoid as much as possible. :)

·
Registered
883 Posts
With my 999, i had to get a spark plug socket lathed down to get it to fit, you could try your socket on the front cylinder as its easy to get to, the coils are quite long to reach the spark plug, i removed my seat and had a look at the rear cyclinder, and it looks like you may have to remove, or lift your tank up, to get the coil/spark plug cap out. Also, remove your front plug, and take it into your local bike shop and order 2, that way you will get the right ones.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can anyone tell me what size deep socket I'll need for the plugs so I can see if I need to get one ahead of time?

·
Registered
883 Posts
can anyone tell me what size deep socket I'll need for the plugs so I can see if I need to get one ahead of time?
5/8 there big fella.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts