Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 8 months ago I solicited input from this forum regarding a sudden, random shutdown of the vertical cylinder while riding. Without resurrecting the previous thread on this topic, I am finally getting around to replacing the pick-up coils. Since I am curious to figure out what the culprit might be, I wanted to get your input on what appears to be the possible root of the problem. In the photo below, one of the new coils is on the top & the original coil on the bottom. Notice on the original coil that the trigger (i.e. raised ridge) on the flywheel has apparently worn down the plastic surface on the coil, as well as causing the metal sensor on the coil to be worn flush with the plastic surface. To me this seemed rather curious since the air gap measured 0.65mm (i.e. within spec) before I removed the original coils. I would truly appreciate your thoughts. Thank you so much.
IMG_2341.jpg

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Someone readjusted the pick up coil after the damage occurred and found that it was still functional so did not replace it ?

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Did you check for any movement in the flywheel ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, since I purchased the bike on consignment from a Ducati dealer back in 1993 with only 800 miles on the clock, I have been the only owner since. Since then the left crankcase cover has never been removed. I suppose that someone might have readjusted the pick-up coils during those first 800 miles; but that seems unlikely.

There is no movement whatsoever in the flywheel.

Although I am curious, my primary objective is to get the bike running properly again. At this point I am assuming that the cause of the intermittent failure of the vertical cylinder to fire was caused by the worn pick-up coils. Sound reasonable? Thank you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts