Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there. I am trying to replace damaged LH pannier cover to the new one I've got on the online shop. The cover is connected to the base by pins at hinges pressed into the holes which is plastic formed on both cover and base. Did someone try to remove the pin and successfully reinstall the pins? Could you let me know how to do that? Using any special tools?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Nothing to it. Just push the pins out with a drift (punch). May need a light tap with a hammer. And you might want to apply a bit of blue loktite to the knurled section when you replace them.

What IS a little tricky is removing the colored panel. While some of the screws are obvious, there are a few more hidden underneath the weather strip, which you will have to remove and replace. They are often covered with the glue from the weather strip and very difficult to see. But they’re there.

Good luck.

AK

·
Registered
602 Posts
I agree with the above with the exception of the Loctite application. I have had bad experience applying Loctite where it comes in contact with plastic. Where the Loctite was applied to the plastic, the plastic became extremely brittle. As always read the directions on the product before using. I do not know if Loctite is labeled for use with plastic. However, from my experience, I will never use the product with plastic again.

IMHO, push the pin straight out and tap or press it straight back in. Let the design if the pin do the locking tight.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,321 Posts
I've also had locktite eat thru plastic pieces. Not sure if this is the case with all plastics, but I learned my lesson.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AKjitsu,Fultank,mollycbr123,Rick H.,Thanks you for help.
I will try to do as instructed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts