Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preparing the replacement of my stock GT handlebar with a beautiful laverda jota brevettato.

anybody can give a help about if its needed to make drills and in that case for what & position & dimension?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
You have two choices:

1. Using tape and markers, carefully work out exactly where you would like to have your controls, and then drill holes in the right places to have the controls sit where you want them. This will result in them having to remain in exactly that spot, so it's important to get it right the first time.

2. Trim the locating tabs off of the controls and you won't need to drill any holes. This theoretically is less safe because the controls could turn on the bars when you least want this to happen. Nevertheless, many people make this choice.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I just removed the tabs when I replaced my GT bars.
They have been like that for 2 years without any movement.
Can't wait to see the pic's of your Jota bars installed.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have two choices:

1. Using tape and markers, carefully work out exactly where you would like to have your controls, and then drill holes in the right places to have the controls sit where you want them. This will result in them having to remain in exactly that spot, so it's important to get it right the first time.

2. Trim the locating tabs off of the controls and you won't need to drill any holes. This theoretically is less safe because the controls could turn on the bars when you least want this to happen. Nevertheless, many people make this choice.
Thanks Major, alternatives with pros&cons... perfect advice

added with GreyDuc & Irideducs experience about removing the tabs I think I'll go for 'tab rmoving'.

one of the reasons for getting the brevettato is the possibility to change the position after some testing till I found my best setup. so it's not good to start making drills and enlarge them afterwards.

In the worst case (control spinning in the bar) I think that did'nt prevent you to brake and clunch, and once you stop the bike, i always carry some tools with me.

sure there'll be pics of this mounting !!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
If you did have any problem with them turning on the bars, I think a good double-stick tape should take care of it.

Older bikes had perches that were make entirely of metal and were designed to clamp down tight enough to stay put. BMW perches even had a little hardened steel wedge inside that bit into the bars and held the perch extremely securely. The locating pins are (I believe) a combination of the fact that plastic perches can't clamp as tightly to the bars, and addressing liability concerns from the possibility of them turning on the bars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts