Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to do this on their 998? I looked at it last night (trying to replace the 15t with a 14t). I got the nut and washer off with no problem, it looks like the chain/sprocket will clear the slave cylinder, but the darn frame is in the way. The frame sits very close to the chain and doesnt give it any room for me to slide the sprocket off with the chain still attached. I hope I don't have to break the chain or bring this down to the dealer and let it sit there for 3 weeks. Does anyone have any advice? I saw some threads on here relating to other bikes, but not the 998. Thx everyone!
Bill
:confused:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
You do have to break the chain. You could try taking the clutch master off but I believe there is still a clearance issue

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Do you have a QC on the rear? If so, just remove so the chain is off then remove the front sprocket. Easier to change the rear versus front anyways.

·
Registered
654 Posts
This works on the 916-996 might work on the 998.
slacken the rear hub pinch bolts
turn the hub so the chain can be lifted off the rear sprocket
take the slave cylinder off 3xM6 bolts no need to disconnect the fluid line
pull the front sprocket off the splines bringing the loose chain with it
as its free from the rear sprocket.

hope it works on the 998.

brian.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I've removed a 15t sprocket from a 916 with chain still on, it is tight but can be done. I know the fixing is different on a 998 but surely the frame positioning should be the same?

Remove the clutch slave and loosen the chain from the eccentric enough to get it to slide out, if you can't get it loose enough then take off the rear sprocket as you don't need to split the chain for that.

If you can get the 15t off then re-fitting the 14t is easier due to it being smaller.

If you really can't do it a new chain soft-link is not expensive but you'll (ideally) need a chain tool to fit it.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
It can be done.....I've done it on my Hyper.....it takes a little creative moving but can be done. I removed the slave and had the chain totaly off the rear...it takes some time but eventually I got it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
This works on the 916-996 might work on the 998.
slacken the rear hub pinch bolts
turn the hub so the chain can be lifted off the rear sprocket
take the slave cylinder off 3xM6 bolts no need to disconnect the fluid line
pull the front sprocket off the splines bringing the loose chain with it
as its free from the rear sprocket.

hope it works on the 998.

brian.
Agree. I did the same on my 998S.
It is hard work, and you start to doubt it can be done with the chain on.
No need to break the chain though, just bring in slack as much as possible, I took the chain from the rear sprocket.
Reward comes if you install the 14T, 2 min work only :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that slave just pull right out after taking off those 3 bolts? should I be concerned about anything when removing it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thx to all for your support with this little project. I was able to switch the sprockets last night without breaking the chain. It was pretty tight and I doubted it for a minute (just like you guys said) but it worked. Now I have to make sure the chain is adjusted correctly and off for a test ride. Thx guys!
Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts