Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

This weekend I am replacing the coolant in my 998 :cool:.

Whilst I have done many things on this, and other Ducatis, I have never worked on the cooling circuit.

I have the mixture sorted out, and am hoping that you can give me some tips, hinds, advice and/or procedures to follow to make the task go smoothly.

Many thanks in advance.

Spin

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
i'm assuming you know where the drain plug is, just squeeze all the hoses repeatedly to get as much out as possible and then squeeze hoses again on filling to get the air out. if you do this enough you won't need to top up after running the first time. also if the old coolant comes out dirty looking change it again after a run. don't forget to check for leaks and check each time after the first few rides.

are you using a 50/50 ratio of glycol & distilled or demineralised water?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
If it's really gungy then run a hose into the filler hole for a few minutes (with the drain plugs out) to flush all the 'bits' through.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
When putting the new coolant in sometimes you can get a bubble in the coolant system and it wont circulate and the bike will over heat. Had it happen in my ST4. I simply put it on the side stand and squeezed the hose a few times on the left side of the engine. Seemed to move the bubble out and allow it to rise to the top of the coolant tank. Then added a bit more coolant and it was good to go.

Mike

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm about to change my coolant as well, but i was just going to use distilled water as mine is a track bike and people seem to frown on antifreeze in track bikes in case of a leak. Is that bad, do you need to mix the water with something else? Thanks guys.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
You need to add a corrosion inhibitor to distilled water when used as a coolant. WaterWetter is often used on the track because it it also improves the heat transfer properties of any coolant.

·
Registered
729 Posts
You need to add a corrosion inhibitor to distilled water when used as a coolant. WaterWetter is often used on the track because it it also improves the heat transfer properties of any coolant.
Plus its an approved coolant for track use [poly-glycol]..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts