Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There must be a thousand postings when it comes to this task. To save time desmo times seems to be the popular one when it comes to the replacement parts.

SO HERE IS WHY:
The clutch only bites/engages when the clutch lever is almost at it's end of travel. Therefore I assume that it may be time as well my 1996 900SS has just turned 18K on the odometer.

Though I am easy on the MC I bought it when it was at 15K in December of last year, 2008 so only the shadow knows how this beast was treated those first 15K.

I found a pictorial posting, 25 pages with nice photos, by rob998, but before I get my hands dirty and remember this is almost an antique, so what is the least I should do and what parts should I inspect to see if I can do this for the least hole in my wallet?

·
Registered
733 Posts
You'll need a clutch pack for sure.

Clutch basket - check the state of the basket where the tags on the fiction plates hammer the basket fingers. If it doesn't look too damaged it might be OK for some time. I replaced my original steel basket at about 50,000 kilometres.

Pressure plate - check where the clutch springs sit in their holes. Mine was starting to wear and did read that it was not normal to see daylight through the inner part where the springs seat.

Pressure plate bearing - should spin freely. If it feels rough you can get one from just about any bearing supplier.

Clutch push rod seal. This had fallen out and was wearing grooves in the clutch pushrod on mine. Seal is $7 - 8 from the dealer. If that has failed you might need a small needle roller bearing that is behind the seal too.

Clutch fluid - replace it with Dot 4 or 5.1. Not Dot 5.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine too, and I hate it.
Any way to remedy it?

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
I suspect that adding more spring plates (in place of flat ones) may help, I may give it a try.

Tom

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hmmm

Clutch fluid - replace it with Dot 4 or 5.1. Not Dot 5.
? Why ? It is a simple device to disengage a pressure plate, no spectacular needs here at all, heck Olive Oil would work fine!:D DOT 3 forever and a day on all my machines has been issue free.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Olive oil is FAR too hydroscopic! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oil?

besides why waste good olive oil. it's better to eat, ie salads, coucous etc....

so should I just forget it for the time being as it's a ducati?

Dan

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'll be grabbing some spring plates and seeing if it makes a difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts