Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got around to pulling out the clutch plates on a new to me 2008 Hypermotard 1100.

10,500 miles on what I assume is stock basket & clutch. Was not slipping but would groan when hot unless you let clutch out really slow.
How does this basket look? Fibers look pretty thin & coated in dust as do steels.
Wheel Tire White Automotive tire Light
Automotive tire Wheel Locking hubs Automotive design Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Light Wheel Automotive design Motor vehicle
Plant Grass Pattern Font Circle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Plant Tread

·
Registered
469 Posts
Good for another 10k. The graunch could be dust or try the light smear of lithium grease on the plates. But personally I don’t like the thought of that.

·
Registered
2011 Multistrada S Touring, 2000 Monster 900 S
231 Posts
What does the basket look like? The tangs on the outer basket are usually the first to wear in my experience.

·
Registered
375 Posts
One tip. The plates are stamped. Due to this, one side is sharp and the other is rounded. Install all the plates with the rounded sides facing inward. This will help reduce wear and sticking.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like the side with the number is the sharp side where they stamped it so I will make sure those all face out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
your basket looks a lot better than the ones on my 37k mile hm1100 and 1098 streetfighter - the wear on the basket and frictions lets the hub rock to and fro making the clatter noise - new basket and frictions will quieten it down - for a while
my streetfighter (very new to me) was clattering and graunching and would release/take up about 5mm from lever fully out - much more gradual now - although i only replaced it friday, so haven't tested it as yet - not sure what the graunching was from
i put slipper clutches in both, just because
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gear Vehicle brake Rim

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

Automotive tire Light Bicycle part Wood Gear

·
Registered
765 Posts
What's that dark gelatinous looking liquid in your rear brake fluid reservoir?

·
Registered
469 Posts
What's that dark gelatinous looking liquid in your rear brake fluid reservoir?
looks like blue dot 4 to me and in pretty good nick.

i alternate between clear and blue brake fluids on bleeding. Actually I prefer blue.

nit sure but I don’t thinkyou can get a blue or green brake fluid any more. I believe you can’t get ATE super blue in blue

·
Registered
765 Posts
Never seen that before, I stick to clear so I can tell when it's time to toss it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
US Dot Standard No.116 S5.1.14 Requirements:

Fluid color.
Brake fluid and hydraulic system mineral oil shall be of the color indicated:
DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1 non-SBBF—colorless to amber.
DOT 5 SBBF—purple.
Hydraulic system mineral oil—green.

ATF Super Blue didn't meet the standard and was stopped using the color blue.

·
Registered
469 Posts
US Dot Standard No.116 S5.1.14 Requirements:

Fluid color.
Brake fluid and hydraulic system mineral oil shall be of the color indicated:
DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1 non-SBBF—colorless to amber.
DOT 5 SBBF—purple.
Hydraulic system mineral oil—green.

ATF Super Blue didn't meet the standard and was stopped using the color blue.
yes. I meant you as in YOU in the USA.

we still have the blue or blue green here in Oz.

·
Registered
765 Posts
None of that's avalable here because some laboratory experiment test rat drank a 55 gallon barrel of it in 2 hours causing erectile dysfunction.

Or Halliburton diden't have exclusive distribution rights in the US

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So got the new plates in & used same number of fiber & steels as OEM. Found neutral easily but when I put it in gear with clutch in it is dragging & not fully disengaging. Does that go away once it gets some wear or do I need more/less plates? Bike does not stall when I put it in gear but on the chock & rear stand rear wheel moves with clutch in & in gear.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Friction material high spots in new clutch plates will case the slight drag you're experiencing. A few hundred shifts will smooth them out and significantly reduce the new plate drag. Reduced plate separation caused by air in the system often reveals itself when a new clutch pack is installed — so take this opportunity change the clutch fluid and bleed the system from its high point. Installing new plates into an old/notched clutch basket also can promote new plate drag.

Hydraulic-actuated clutch systems are self-adjusting so minor variations in stack height won't cause this problem.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I have new reservoirs & an Oberon clutch slave to install so probably better to do it all together.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts