Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe my bike was manufactured in may 09. it sat at a dealer until 12/22/12 of this year. now they say 2 years replace the belts, Im at 5.5k miles and didn't want to do that until my 7k service which should be around the spring. So with lack of use can it wait till the spring?

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
If you want to follow the two year belt service to perfection I believe the clock starts at the build date when the belts are put under tension. The extreme curves that the belts are held at even while sitting is said to wear belts.

It's been said that the newer belts on our bikes are better than the older belts. Some people wait longer than 2 years with no problems. It's up to you to take that risk. You need to know how the bike has been treated. Ridden hard or ridden easier and stored in a garage with a stable climate versus outside with extreme hot and cold temps. My SFS has been road easy with very low miles stored in a garage with steady temps. I think I might wait 2.5 years in my case until next winter to change my belts. If I go by build date it would be closer to 3 years. I think my belts will make it in my situation without any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm tempted to buy the tools online and do it myself. I like doing minor things like that on my bikes. But it always takes me twice as longs as the pros.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dang, well I thank you for bringing up this information squirrel, well kinda :) As I purchased a 2010 left over form my stealership a couple months ago and it's already over it's 2 years. I never even though that a sitting bikes belts would account for wear and tear. Oh well, it looks like a very easy project and will give me something to do while she's on her stands this winter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How does a belt not in use, wear and tear? I do not get this. Belts are made of Kevlar..which is a ridiculously tough fibre. When not in use for 2 years, yes I agree the remaining life in the belt might be affected but to change it out at such low mileage, seems such a waste man. I would it keep on for longer for sure.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
The extreme radius around the cam and crank pulley is what is hard on the belts even when they're sitting. While the belts are moving they get evenly stressed as they spin. When they sit still certain parts of the belts are stressed around the cam and crank pulleys. Because of the compact engine the pulleys are small. This puts more stress on the belt compared to a car with larger pulleys.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
How does a belt not in use, wear and tear? I do not get this. Belts are made of Kevlar..which is a ridiculously tough fibre. When not in use for 2 years, yes I agree the remaining life in the belt might be affected but to change it out at such low mileage, seems such a waste man. I would it keep on for longer for sure.
Plus, if the bike is purchased new there should be a 2-year warranty in effect, which would cover damage from a belt failure prior to the required 15k miles/24month service....

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know of the better quality belts to buy? looked at eBay and I'm a little cautions being they are so import.

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
CA Cycleworks. I just pulled off my first set after 15,000mi of use. They seemed softer than when pulling the Duc belts off. Also, the lettering was still visible. At first slice, I'd say that they wear better than Duc branded belts for half the price.

The CA CW belts are made in China, but the thought is the Duc belts are also. Subcontracted through Gates?

Belts are riduclously easy to change and tension.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CA Cycleworks. I just pulled off my first set after 15,000mi of use. They seemed softer than when pulling the Duc belts off. Also, the lettering was still visible. At first slice, I'd say that they wear better than Duc branded belts for half the price.

The CA CW belts are made in China, but the thought is the Duc belts are also. Subcontracted through Gates?

Belts are riduclously easy to change and tension.

Have a good one.
I haven't found a bad review or failure yet. Was that in two years or less ? I plan on putting less mikes on my duc but i will need to do them every two years.

·
Temporary greeter
23,088 Posts
I believe my bike was manufactured in may 09. it sat at a dealer until 12/22/12 of this year. now they say 2 years replace the belts, Im at 5.5k miles and didn't want to do that until my 7k service which should be around the spring. So with lack of use can it wait till the spring?
You must have a time machine or somethin' :eek:

·
Registered
713 Posts
I haven't found a bad review or failure yet. Was that in two years or less ? I plan on putting less mikes on my duc but i will need to do them every two years.

Perhaps after you've done it a few times.
I am a DIY guy but looking at the videos for this job makes me confused and concerned. Actually thinking about taking it to a dealer. I m thinking it should take no more than 2 hours for the dealer to do.
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am a DIY guy but looking at the videos for this job makes me confused and concerned. Actually thinking about taking it to a dealer. I m thinking it should take no more than 2 hours for the dealer to do.
Thoughts?

From the videos I've seen it seems like as long as things are timed it shouldn't be to hard. But yes, things like this that a true duc mechanic can do in a couple hours will take all morning. I plan on putting on a new seat. And while I'm doing that I might as well install my new coated tank. And while I have tank off I might as well install my new belt covers. And while im putting new belt covers on I might as well put new belts on. Jeez, to much fun for one day, it might take 2.

·
Registered
713 Posts
From the videos I've seen it seems like as long as things are timed it shouldn't be to hard.
yep, swapping parts is not a problem but it looks like you need to check the tension and timing which from videos looks like art to me (or I am not that much of a DIY guy :))

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts

Yes. A little over a year. I put on 10k to 12k per year mostly commuting. I'm a bit over 64k right now.

Thoughts?

Don't estimate yourself. Call for the sticker shock. Plus, you will be paying for Duc belts which cost twice as much as the CA CW belts. Personally, the CA CW belts are conservatively equivalent. But like I noted above, from memory they felt softer coming off, which is a good thing.

yep, swapping parts is not a problem but it looks like you need to check the tension and timing which from videos looks like art to me (or I am not that much of a DIY guy :))
Absolutely not! There is zero art or voodoo in it. The guitar tuner apps make it a breeze, and I don't have a musical bone in my body. You hold a cheap PC mic up to the belt and pluck until you get a stable signal (2 or 3 plucks). It is a literal walk in the park. More skill is require to just get to and remove the belts. The only trick, as noted by several sources, is to have your pistons at TDC when setting the tension. I found not doing this will change the tension by about 4hz, which isn't a big deal in the end, but I'm a tad anal.

The desmotimes.com 4v maint manual is a $30 well spent.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When I bought my duc I was very concerned about all the maintenance involved with these bikes. Now I'm actually looking forward to doing some of these task myself. There are only so many bolt items you can buy. And by then Im usually bored with the bike and want a new one. But with this duc I'll always have something to do on it.

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
I came into this bike knowing the maint costs/intervals and knowing that I was going to be doing it all. It isn't that bad, even with the miles I kick on. Definitely no voodoo. It is all hard numbers. I did extend the interval to 7,500mi because the motor finally settled in after it turn about 50k. Seriously. The testas are somewhat different animals, but I'd still expect to have a tight motor into the 20k region.

The first tool/parts buy is a bit pricey, but less than dropping trou at a shop just once. And, I came away with a better running bike because I was a bit anal setting things to the desmotimes specs. My bike was dealer maintained by the POs through the 18k service.

Now with ducatidiag out there, it was nearly free to see that the ECU and sensors were still all good. The ducatidiag belt app is my fav for setting tension, btw.

Like you, I tend to get bored over time. Not with this bike. I actually look forward to the wrenching and can't help tinkering.

Have a good one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts